Rubbing out in beer league?

Mikwammichi

Jun 25, 2014
Is that really that hard to fathom? In order to run into another player a key component is that you are skating with your head down. Then, those players have no idea that they are the ones who initiated the contact. They all assume the d man stepped up and Scott Stevensed them.

Yes, it is that hard for me to fathom. Easy to fathom that they get upset for a second, we all get upset for a second when we lose out - but hard to fathom that they don't think about for another second and realize they weren't violently assaulted, they just ran into someone.

Perhaps I expect too much of people. I should get out more and lower my expectations :)

Last edited:

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I play pick up and have only skated for 15 months and I'm not certain of some of the language/actions being used here. But I've had two similar incidents and I'm not sure if it's just "hockey" or a "d*** move".

In D zone Im covering guy at the point. I poke check the puck away back into the neutral zone and we race for puck near boards. The other guy gets to the puck first with me on his back, stops abruptly, stands up and leans himself aggressively into me. BAM I slam into him OR he stands me up and I land on my a**.

At the time, I was not capable of stopping uber quickly. And I'm still not able to stop how these guys did while positioning their bodies for impact. I wasn't sure how to react, if it was questionable contact or not, due to being so new to the game (playing 1 year) and playing against mostly C and B Level guys. I'm all for appropriate contact and having fun, heck those plays just woke me up if anything. But I don't want to look like a sap and not stick up for myself if its questionable.

If you have trouble stopping you shouldn't be that close to the guy in the first place. If you can't stop in time to avoid a collision like that then you are skating too fast for your abilities and you're a possible danger to the people on the ice including yourself.

Until you are good enough at stopping to do it at any moment and any situation you should be cognizant of the fact that you aren't completely in control of your body and you should give other players a wider berth, especially when pursuing pucks in danger areas.

Now all that said, it sounds like that other player was being a bit of a dick and maybe even purposely sending you a message. There's no reason to come to a full stop like that vs a weaker player unless you WANT them to run into you. If he pulls that crap again give him a nice cross check in the back when you make contact, accidentally of course. :badidea:

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
If you have trouble stopping you shouldn't be that close to the guy in the first place. If you can't stop in time to avoid a collision like that then you are skating too fast for your abilities and you're a possible danger to the people on the ice including yourself.

Until you are good enough at stopping to do it at any moment and any situation you should be cognizant of the fact that you aren't completely in control of your body and you should give other players a wider berth, especially when pursuing pucks in danger areas.

Now all that said, it sounds like that other player was being a bit of a dick and maybe even purposely sending you a message. There's no reason to come to a full stop like that vs a weaker player unless you WANT them to run into you. If he pulls that crap again give him a nice cross check in the back when you make contact, accidentally of course. :badidea:

Got it. The guys at pick up are usually the same week in week out (invite only) and gratefully have been very tolerant of my learning curve. Except this guy.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Had a pretty good referee yesterday, he let something go that he was in two minds about when I gave someone a little bit of a rub.

He came over and gave me a bit of a warning during the next break in play, to which I told him I was never going to hit anyone, just let them know I was there and could have wiped them out.

He left me alone for the rest of the game.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
This guy's a beaut.

If that was a joke, touche sir.

I didn't think he's joking, in fact I've had this same thought and suggested it to others. Watching NHL isn't always that helpful for learning to play defence, the lack of body checking makes a pretty big difference. Since the women's game is non-checking it's much more transferable (even if us beer leaguers still couldn't come close to their skill, it gives a better target to work towards).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad