Rubbing out in beer league?

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I play in a no checking beer league. However, plenty of contact is allowed and positional rub-outs are permitted. What I mean is that if you keep your position and angle the guy into the boards until he has no more room you can bump into him (or better let him bump into you) and separate him from the puck. You can't swing your butt into him or drive your shoulder into him like a real body check.

Can anyone recommend some videos or web pages on how to execute a rub out?

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Fairly simple ... You lean on him from the front side more than the back and just coast him into the boards on a very generous angle.

The biggest thing is not putting force directly into him but simply letting his momentum take himself into the boards

STC

Oct 29, 2012
honestly, I would recommend not trying it at all. If you have to ask how to do it odds are you are just going to end up either being late and checking your opponent or being early and putting yourself face first into the boards.

Its no check beer league, no need to rub anyone out into the boards. If that happened to me in a men's league game I would at the very least respond with a two hander to the back of your legs.

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
I'm interested in this too. Body contact is a well accepted part of my league, especially along the boards, and I'd like to see some videos or advice as well.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I know all refs are different but my standard of enforcement on this involves keeping two hands on the stick and making an attempt to play the puck at the same time. Of course, if both players legitimately just coast into the boards and crash into each other simultaneously I'm not calling that either. I just rarely see it actually happen.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
I know all refs are different but my standard of enforcement on this involves keeping two hands on the stick and making an attempt to play the puck at the same time. Of course, if both players legitimately just coast into the boards and crash into each other simultaneously I'm not calling that either. I just rarely see it actually happen.

Interesting, I don't like it, respectfully.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I'd only do that if you're ready for the repercussions. In my league at least, it's the equivalent of an NHL crushing but solid check. You're going to draw a lot of attention and probably get a penalty anyway, and then you've got whoever you hit staring daggers or worse at you for the rest of the game.

From personal experience though, TieClark's explanation is pretty accurate, although you want to give a little bit more push from the shoulders when you're getting really close to the boards, otherwise at your speed you'll just bounce off and end up on the ice. He'll go off on his merry way and you'll be lying there unable to stop him. If you push him a bit at the end, they'll be the ones that hit the board and go down, just don't do it too early or too hard or you're putting them in a really dangerous position and guaranteeing yourself a big penalty.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
It's completely legal in my league. Now IF I or anyone else should execute one is a matter for consideration.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Players that played higher levels won't mind this as long as you don't follow through (ie body check which is what a follow through rub out is). It's the ones that never played higher levels that will cause a fuss

aguynamedjoe

May 27, 2013
Chicago
I'm really surprised at all the downplaying of this. No-check doesn't mean no-contact. I honestly love it when the other team is playing clean, physical hockey in my no-check beer league, it gets me amped up that much more and the adrenaline flowing harder. Even though it's beer league, it is a league after all - if I just wanted to play no-touch pond hockey I'd stick to rat/pickup.

Instead of debating if you like it or not, I'll try and pitch in to the OP and say one thing I picked up in a clinic that's slightly related is that for board battles - if you're behind the opponent, take your knee that's between their legs and try and push it (your own knee) into the boards. Definitely not pushing their upper body from behind, but it's a way to keep them immobilized and pressed against the boards without checking them. Since you're further out from the boards you have a little more wiggle room to try and make a play on the puck (in theory...although I'm the first to admit I'm still not solid enough on my skates yet to do this effectively)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm really surprised at all the downplaying of this. No-check doesn't mean no-contact. I honestly love it when the other team is playing clean, physical hockey in my no-check beer league, it gets me amped up that much more and the adrenaline flowing harder. Even though it's beer league, it is a league after all - if I just wanted to play no-touch pond hockey I'd stick to rat/pickup.

Instead of debating if you like it or not, I'll try and pitch in to the OP and say one thing I picked up in a clinic that's slightly related is that for board battles - if you're behind the opponent, take your knee that's between their legs and try and push it (your own knee) into the boards. Definitely not pushing their upper body from behind, but it's a way to keep them immobilized and pressed against the boards without checking them. Since you're further out from the boards you have a little more wiggle room to try and make a play on the puck (in theory...although I'm the first to admit I'm still not solid enough on my skates yet to do this effectively)

Sorry, but to state the obvious, don't attempt this while skating at any speed, it won't end well.

Also, you can immobilize them sure, but you better make sure the puck is there, or it's intereference/holding etc,

Best way to rub a guy out is to angle him into the boards, then aim for about a foot in front of him, and get your body on his stick....

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Sorry, but to state the obvious, don't attempt this while skating at any speed, it won't end well.

Also, you can immobilize them sure, but you better make sure the puck is there, or it's intereference/holding etc,

Best way to rub a guy out is to angle him into the boards, then aim for about a foot in front of him, and get your body on his stick....

Yeah, check the hands.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
Sounds like there's a pretty big variation here in how guys think this kind of play would be received in their respective beer leagues. I can absolutely see where both sides are coming from and I have played in both types of leagues. In my current league, I can't imagine it being a huge deal.

If you don't like it as a beer league kind of play or you don't think it would go over well in your league, think of it this way. If you're a D-man and a forward is coming down on your wing, should you just let him go around you to the outside? You don't need to lay anyone out, but there's also no need to just give a guy ice if you can prevent it in a way that's within the rules (or is at least acceptable as part of your league's "philosophy" or vibe or whatever you want to call it).

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
It's really about matching up against others that want to play with a little more intensity. There's no thrill, accomplishment or satisfaction in tagging anyone who's really not up for it, but that said, it is hockey; and hockey's hockey, not knitting or baking cookies; and a few need reminding of that from time to time. You're going to get banged at least a little from time to time, accidentally or otherwise.

Anyone that thinks they're going to just be green lighted all over the rink while they try and dangle around you or be handed possession in the corners is perhaps playing the wrong game, but there are a few of them...and do they go on and on when they get so much as a finger placed on them.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Players that played higher levels won't mind this as long as you don't follow through (ie body check which is what a follow through rub out is). It's the ones that never played higher levels that will cause a fuss

I agree with Clark.

Doing this carefully where people have played competitive check hockey before is fine. Doing this at the beginner/intermediate levels is being a dick, especially if you're one of the better skaters in the division. Being 6'4 240 and doing this to guys (or girls) who are 5'3 is also being a dick and you're going to quickly become "that guy".

So let's review: You can do this legally and be fine. Since you're a beer leaguer, there's a good chance you mess it up and get a penalty. Since you're playing against beer leaguers in a non-check division, there's a good chance they're not used to the body contact and get pissed. Since you're being reffed by beer leaguers, there's a good chance the ref messes it up and gives you a penalty or misses it when you should've gotten one.

I think I just rambled. Basically, if you're "that guy" you should stop being that guy. If you're not "that guy" then you're probably doing it ok.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
When you're bigger you can look like the bad guy in contact situations, but from my experience, it's poor balance or lack of skating ability that sees a lot of people go down in the contact, which may be minimal, while most of the more aggressive, confrontational or angrier players I've come across are smaller guys looking to try and prove something. Most all the fights I've seen of late in social/recreational hockey are short angry guys.

What do you do to try and avoid looking like 'that guy' sometimes? You can't just roll or lay over for people. My biggest 'checks' are other people running into me, not the other way around.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
I don't even try to rub people out anymore, even when I can do it. Since I'm one of the taller guys on the team I usually get a penalty any time I try it. Half of the time people have tried to rub me out and have fallen down only to have the ref whistle me for a penalty.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I don't even try to rub people out anymore, even when I can do it. Since I'm one of the taller guys on the team I usually get a penalty any time I try it. Half of the time people have tried to rub me out and have fallen down only to have the ref whistle me for a penalty.

Yeah I hear you on that one. I'm pretty happy though with our referees who I think have a reasonable grasp on what's actually happening, but the milking/embellishing and whining that goes on from people who pretty much just fell can be incessant.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's all about gap. First thing you need is to trust your ability to skate backwards (if you are a dman). Your shoulder (closest to the board) should consistently line up with his outside shoulder (facing the open ice) to start creating the angle. This is where gap is discussed. Gap is the amount of space you give him.

So keep a good solid gap. Keep your inside shoulder lined up with his outside shoulder. Keep your stick out there to take away cut back lanes but still in a good seated powerful backward stance. Gradually take him on into the boards. If he tries to cut back the other way, your stick should be there and you can cross over to match him.

Ultimately you need to trust your skill and gap.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Its tough playing defense at times in beer league. Even if you know what is allowed, and what you can get away(and I don't mean that in a trying to do something cheap, and getting away with it way).
You'll often face an opponent that feels he should get free roam in your zone because he sees "no check" as "no contact", and wants all his pond hockey skills to shine. The second you do initiate slight contact, he is complaining, throwing his arms up, and you suddenly become the biggest goon in the division.

I'd say a decent amount of no check leagues, certainly allow contact. Its just the nature of the game, and 99% of players I feel abide by the rules.

As mentioned prior, gap control is your biggest ally. Force an opponent to the outside, and angle him towards the boards, make him feel uncomfortable out there, without going over the line.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
honestly, I would recommend not trying it at all. If you have to ask how to do it odds are you are just going to end up either being late and checking your opponent or being early and putting yourself face first into the boards.

Its no check beer league, no need to rub anyone out into the boards. If that happened to me in a men's league game I would at the very least respond with a two hander to the back of your legs.

You get mad because someone play you perfectly?

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
When executed properly, the defender cuts off the opposing player's lane along the boards, and the squeeze into the boards is so soft that there is virtually no sound. Should really be a check at no more than a 30-degree angle, with no more than about 50% intensity (if that makes any sense).

The general but completely subjective rule I've always observed is based on the sound the player makes against the boards.

If you angle him into the boards at such an angle that there's virtually no sound on impact, then you're fine. If the boards rattle, or the players body makes a noticeable thud, then it's a penalty.

I agree with Clark.

Doing this carefully where people have played competitive check hockey before is fine. Doing this at the beginner/intermediate levels is being a dick, especially if you're one of the better skaters in the division. Being 6'4 240 and doing this to guys (or girls) who are 5'3 is also being a dick and you're going to quickly become "that guy".

So let's review: You can do this legally and be fine. Since you're a beer leaguer, there's a good chance you mess it up and get a penalty. Since you're playing against beer leaguers in a non-check division, there's a good chance they're not used to the body contact and get pissed. Since you're being reffed by beer leaguers, there's a good chance the ref messes it up and gives you a penalty or misses it when you should've gotten one.

I think I just rambled. Basically, if you're "that guy" you should stop being that guy. If you're not "that guy" then you're probably doing it ok.

Seconded.

The other problem with doing this at the lower levels is that most of the opposing forwards can't skate well in the first place.

At the higher levels, you can angle a guy into the boards, bump him off the puck, and win the battle for possession. Most lower level skaters will just fall on first contact, which means they will fall awkwardly into the boards. So even with gentle impact, even if perfectly executed (which most lower defenders can't do), not only will you draw a checking penalty against yourself, it'll look like a dirty hit.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
When executed properly, the defender cuts off the opposing player's lane along the boards, and the squeeze into the boards is so soft that there is virtually no sound. Should really be a check at no more than a 30-degree angle, with no more than about 50% intensity (if that makes any sense).

The general but completely subjective rule I've always observed is based on the sound the player makes against the boards.

If you angle him into the boards at such an angle that there's virtually no sound on impact, then you're fine. If the boards rattle, or the players body makes a noticeable thud, then it's a penalty.

Seconded.

The other problem with doing this at the lower levels is that most of the opposing forwards can't skate well in the first place.

At the higher levels, you can angle a guy into the boards, bump him off the puck, and win the battle for possession. Most lower level skaters will just fall on first contact, which means they will fall awkwardly into the boards. So even with gentle impact, even if perfectly executed (which most lower defenders can't do), not only will you draw a checking penalty against yourself, it'll look like a dirty hit.

Thanks guys.

I now understand what a beer league rub out (as opposed to a contact league) one should be. I'm solid but short so penalties are no problem (they'll look like they are running me over if anything).

This sounds like a reasonable compromise between an illegal check and just letting them blow by me around the outside.

Regarding "dirty" or not, my league has it's share of dirty guys and I'm squeaky clean compared to those douches.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai

Seconded.

This is the hardest part. I struggled for weeks after leaving Juniors and playing low contact leagues because I was used to full contact. What I considered a weak hit would completely destroy someone, often with some scary falls.

The best advise I can give is if you've never played full contact before, don't even try. There's more than just the angles. Speed, the opponent's reactions, distances, your skating ability... any miscalculation of these can result in a big hit, a perfect rubout, or boarding yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad