OT: Rsu?

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Swearing has no benefit but can ruin the atmosphere for a family and takes away from the game. Not swearing is the nice thing to do. Swearing is the ****** bag thing to do.

...and the 'family vibe' of the in-game experience can ruin the atmosphere for non-families. I've seen them play movie clips after huge fights that have the word "ass" censored. How does that make any sense?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
...and the 'family vibe' of the in-game experience can ruin the atmosphere for non-families. I've seen them play movie clips after huge fights that have the word "ass" censored. How does that make any sense?

Or that little kid who keeps yelling gibberish in that shrill high pitched, nails on a chalkboard voice only children have at strange times. Continuously waving his big foam finger or ugly sign in front of everyone, blocking the view of people behind him and even hitting the guy beside him in the face with it?

That annoys me more than someone cursing, but that kid has every right to be there so I ignore it and enjoy the game. Like a rational person.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Right. Very context sensitive. But it's not like I'm advocating going to a restaurant, work environment, etc. and dropping an F-bomb. This is a massive sporting arena where tensions, tempers and adrenaline run high. Swearing comes with the territory — although, as I said, most people will avoid swearing around kids as a courtesy. But expecting others to stop behaviours because it offends your personal sensibilities is egotistical to the max.

Hear hear!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Both ways are annoying.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Classiness and childishness aside, it's still not your call — or anyone's but the individuals — to decide whether they'll do it or not.

No it's not, last time I checked the CTC was not a publicly owned building and it's up to the owners to decide what kind of language is appropriate for the venue. People can (and should) get kicked out for using inappropriate language.

This is not a "rights" debate in any sense of the word. I enjoy a family atmosphere at hockey games and drunk buffoons who can't control themselves ruin it for a lot of people.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
No it's not, last time I checked the CTC was not a publicly owned building and it's up to the owners to decide what kind of language is appropriate for the venue. People can (and should) get kicked out for using inappropriate language.

This is not a "rights" debate in any sense of the word. I enjoy a family atmosphere at hockey games and drunk buffoons who can't control themselves ruin it for a lot of people.

I didn't say the word "rights" anywhere for that very reason. Going by the strictest definition of the word, you're not wrong. But it's their decision whether they'll do it or not, just like it's the owner's/ushers' decision whether to do anything about it.

EDIT: scratch that, used it earlier when saying I'd defend their right to do it. Misspoke. I understand your point, but my point of view still stands that unless it's belligerent and a significant disruption, it's not something that anyone should police but the individual themselves.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

And drunk baffoons enjoy their drunk bafoonery at hockey games. THey have a right to be there as well. Don't like them? Sit in the family section, or just ignore it.

If The Senators wanted to throw everyone out that swore at a game they could and they would. They don't

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And drunk baffoons enjoy their drunk bafoonery at hockey games. THey have a right to be there as well. Don't like them? Sit in the family section, or just ignore it.

If The Senators wanted to throw everyone out that swore at a game they could and they would. They don't

I'll just leave this here:

http://stars.nhl.com/v2/ext/pdf/NHL Fan Code of Conduct new.pdf

So now that we know the NHL's policy, we can stop saying that fans have every right to say what they please, and people will have to ignore or make due

Last edited:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
There are laws they enforce, and laws they don't within reason. Did all of RSU get arrested for chanting **** u Heatley?

That was not the arguement. You said there is no law against swearing, I proved you were wrong.

Like I said, I am not opposed to swearing in general, I am opposed to using the f bomb in a chant. Chants are something that you start to get the whole crowd into. I would join in "Heatley sucks!" I will not engage in "F you Heatley!"

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The point still stands, people don't have the right to swear

Strawman argument. Nobody is saying the right is there; just that it's not reasonable to expect others to change their behaviour to suit what you, as an individual, want.

Which is the same reason why the RSU's Spezza rally went on, despite a bunch of outcry. People didn't like it, but at the end of the day you can't force someone to change something just because you don't like it.

(Bam, thread back on topic!)

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That was not the arguement. You said there is no law against swearing, I proved you were wrong.

Like I said, I am not opposed to swearing in general, I am opposed to using the f bomb in a chant. Chants are something that you start to get the whole crowd into. I would join in "Heatley sucks!" I will not engage in "F you Heatley!"

Fair enough, i guess I was mistaken since I've never heard of anyone actually getting arrested due to that law.

I agree with you, a better chant would be one that can get the whole crowd into it, and **** you Heatley probably won't accomplish that. Like I said before, i just don't feel that those words harm anyone. And I truly believe that as long as nobody is being harmed, people should be free to do whatever they want.

Real harm, not being offended.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Strawman argument. Nobody is saying the right is there; just that it's not reasonable to expect others to change their behaviour to suit what you, as an individual, want.

Which is the same reason why the RSU's Spezza rally went on, despite a bunch of outcry. People didn't like it, but at the end of the day you can't force someone to change something just because you don't like it.

(Bam, thread back on topic!)

It's not what I as an Individual want, it doesn't bother me. I'm a 24 year old with no kids.

It's what the NHL, as a whole, clearly wants. You buy a ticket, you are a fan. You comply to the Fans Code of Conduct (unknown to everyone I know). I know it is not going to happen, no fan reads a code of conduct before going to a game. Why would you? It's the thought that fans have every right to say whatever they want, and those who don't want to be around that type of behavior have nothing to do but ignore it. That is clearly wrong.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
May result in ejection, rarely if ever does unless an extreme is taken.

You are missing the point. The point is, that the arena is a family friendly environment. It is not a UFC fight night.

Yes you can drink there, but they will not let you buy more than 2 beer at a time. If you are inebriated, they will not sell to you.

I asked a Moulson rep my beer costs so much at a arena like K-rock centre and CTC. The real reason he told me that they charge so much for beer is to deter people from buying too much.

You will never escape the language and I understand that. They have a coke zone that is for families and it is a alcohol free zone. You cannot get away from a chant like that. I took my son to two games this year. LA and NYR. Both were Saturday afternoon games that are meant for families like us. I did not take him to any of the other games I went to this year.

Once again, I do not care if you swear. Just leave it out of the chants. That is the main reason I will never join the RSU.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If i am drunk at a game, i don't care what the fan conduct says or if there is a kid infront of me, ill swear if i feel like it, Im hockey fan, not someone trying to support a family environment somewhere that it should not be.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You are missing the point. The point is, that the arena is a family friendly environment. It is not a UFC fight night.

Yes you can drink there, but they will not let you buy more than 2 beer at a time. If you are inebriated, they will not sell to you.

I asked a Moulson rep my beer costs so much at a arena like K-rock centre and CTC. The real reason he told me that they charge so much for beer is to deter people from buying too much.

You will never escape the language and I understand that. They have a coke zone that is for families and it is a alcohol free zone. You cannot get away from a chant like that. I took my son to two games this year. LA and NYR. Both were Saturday afternoon games that are meant for families like us. I did not take him to any of the other games I went to this year.

Once again, I do not care if you swear. Just leave it out of the chants. That is the main reason I will never join the RSU.

I get your point, I just disagree with it. I don't think chants with swearing are a good idea, I think it's tacky and silly. But if they want to do it, whatever. Its not hurting anyone.

I get that swearing is against the rules, but the powers that be behind the arena obviously don't care, because I hear people yelling obscenities every time I go to a game and I've never seen someone get ejected that wasn't somewhat violent. That says something right there.

And they sell beer to drunk people all the time. I used to get absolutely hammered when I went to Sens games, near black out drunk, and I never had a problem buying beer. Im not trying to glorify my behaviour, I was an idiot back then. Im just saying.

The official reason behind the cost being so high might be that its there to discourage people from drinking, but that's PR bull ****. Its a cash grab, they charge what they do because people will pay it.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
If i am drunk at a game, i don't care what the fan conduct says or if there is a kid infront of me, ill swear if i feel like it, Im hockey fan, not someone trying to support a family environment somewhere that it should not be.

Now that's selfish.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Now that's selfish.

call it that if you will. I had a guy to tell me to stop say ****ing phillips or yell **** you phillips because of his kid he had to get Arena staff because i refused, and they moved him and his kid because i did nothing wrong. :D

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
call it that if you will. I had a guy to tell me to stop say ****ing phillips or yell **** you phillips because of his kid he had to get Arena staff because i refused, and they moved him and his kid because i did nothing wrong. :D

Congrats?

Last edited by a moderator:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I get your point, I just disagree with it. I don't think chants with swearing are a good idea, I think it's tacky and silly. But if they want to do it, whatever. Its not hurting anyone.

I get that swearing is against the rules, but the powers that be behind the arena obviously don't care, because I hear people yelling obscenities every time I go to a game and I've never seen someone get ejected that wasn't somewhat violent. That says something right there.

And they sell beer to drunk people all the time. I used to get absolutely hammered when I went to Sens games, near black out drunk, and I never had a problem buying beer. Im not trying to glorify my behaviour, I was an idiot back then. Im just saying.

The official reason behind the cost being so high might be that its there to discourage people from drinking, but that's PR bull ****. Its a cash grab, they charge what they do because people will pay it.

Technically selling to obviously drunk patrons is in violation of liquor laws and can cost venues their license. Additionally, liabilities apply on the venue were the patron to leave and get into a serious accident.

However again this is getting way off topic.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Technically selling to obviously drunk patrons is in violation of liquor laws and can cost venues their license. Additionally, liabilities apply on the venue were the patron to leave and get into a serious accident.

However again this is getting way off topic.

If you're not falling down drunk, or slurring your speech in a major way they're still going to sell you booze.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

You're the worst kind of fan. A man asks you not to swear in front of his kid and you're thinking you did nothing wrong?

I don't even...

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014

I was defending the person's wishes to act/say what they want at a sporting event (within reason).

But that still doesn't mean that you're not an ***hole.

Let alone swearing at our own players. Great job, buddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad