OT: Rsu?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I am fine with "Heatley sucks! Heatley sucks!"

I am not cool with "F you Heatley!"

If you want to go to a place where that is cool, go to a sports bar. I don't take my 5 year old to pg13 movies. I do not want to have to explain to him what some of those words mean.

You want these kids to grow up to be Sens fans, then you have to respect the parents wishes. They come off as unintelligent when saying stuff like that.

I am pretty sure it was a RSU member that yelled "Pick Wade Belak!" during the All-star vote. Way to keep it classy.

Sports fans are passionate individuals, hockey games can have hits,fighting, dirty gestures on ice, and even blood. A hockey arena has loads of people with the addition of alcohol and like any public place be it a mall or park your child is sadly going to have to hear words that you would prefer him not to.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
I don't understand your line of thinking. People complained that Real Sens Army was elitist, so they changed their name to appease those who felt like the RSA was condescending towards their own fanbase. If anything I would think you'd have issue with the RSA name over RSU. I like RSU way more.

from what i know thats wrong.
they were forced to change their name by the Ottawa Senators (as i believe "SENS" or Sens Army is a trademark) in order to start working together.
and since they already had the scarves thing going on. they went with that pattern which i perfer.
cuz Real Sens Army is what most people hate about the group. thinking theyre better than the rest. (as you mentionned in your post)

but as i said before alot of them are nice guys. nothing personally against the group, its just some members acting like jerks exactly like this board . dont know them personally.

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
This is an unpopular opinion but here goes. I've had season tickets to the Sens since 1999. I absolutely LOVE going to the games and I love when the atmosphere is loud (from the fans and not the music). Playoffs are AMAZING.

Now...the RSU sit a couple of sections away so I've heard and seen things that don't make me want to be part of the group. I'm sure some of the people are great...like with everything. They're just not the most vocal of the group I guess.

What REALLY bugs me...and this is where the unpopular opinion comes from. The RSU wants the fans to cheer for their team and be loud - then why is it that every time the organ plays and you have that music...all you hear after is "Leafs Suck"? the Leafs aren't even in your building and you're giving them the satisfaction of knowing that you're still thinking fo them when they're not even in the building. Those chants were fairly recent and from the RSU section.

Why, if you want the Sens fanbase to be the best...do you cheer against a team that isn't even in the building. Those jeers are louder than any cheer...it's seriously sad to hear and it drives me up the wall. Why not just ignore the Leafs when they aren't around and cheer solely for your team. Make them feel that they're more important than a team that isn't there. I've heard so many comments about that...and none are good ones.

Anyway - I'm one person and I can't change things...I just wish the fans would spend more time cheering for the Sens than against a team we can't stand - but apparently need to gve attention to on a regular basis.

Carry on - getting off my soapbox now.

I hope that with Paul Beirne coming on here and asking for suggestions - things improve at the game because there's nothing like the playoffs in Ottawa and it would be great to have that kind of feeling during the regular season.

Have a great day!!!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Flip, I'll agree with you on that one. The whole Leafs suck thing when we aren't playing them is a little embarrassing. Our inferiority complex shines through.

It's the same kind of thing when a leafs fan wears his jersey to a Senators-Sabres game. Just... why?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is an unpopular opinion but here goes. I've had season tickets to the Sens since 1999. I absolutely LOVE going to the games and I love when the atmosphere is loud (from the fans and not the music). Playoffs are AMAZING.

Now...the RSU sit a couple of sections away so I've heard and seen things that don't make me want to be part of the group. I'm sure some of the people are great...like with everything. They're just not the most vocal of the group I guess.

What REALLY bugs me...and this is where the unpopular opinion comes from. The RSU wants the fans to cheer for their team and be loud - then why is it that every time the organ plays and you have that music...all you hear after is "Leafs Suck"? the Leafs aren't even in your building and you're giving them the satisfaction of knowing that you're still thinking fo them when they're not even in the building. Those chants were fairly recent and from the RSU section.

Why, if you want the Sens fanbase to be the best...do you cheer against a team that isn't even in the building. Those jeers are louder than any cheer...it's seriously sad to hear and it drives me up the wall. Why not just ignore the Leafs when they aren't around and cheer solely for your team. Make them feel that they're more important than a team that isn't there. I've heard so many comments about that...and none are good ones.

Anyway - I'm one person and I can't change things...I just wish the fans would spend more time cheering for the Sens than against a team we can't stand - but apparently need to gve attention to on a regular basis.

Carry on - getting off my soapbox now.

I hope that with Paul Beirne coming on here and asking for suggestions - things improve at the game because there's nothing like the playoffs in Ottawa and it would be great to have that kind of feeling during the regular season.

Have a great day!!!

:handclap:

Flip has it right. The team has been around over 20 years now. We're not the newbie team that plays the role of lil brother to the big bad Leafs. We're a class A team in our own right. No need to have any fixation on that team, or any other.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Time to get rid of the one single traditional chant we have left.

This team needs tradition like a meth-head needs Walter White.

I understand the argument against the "Leafs Suck" chant but other than that, we have absolutely zero identity as a fan base.

John Holmes*

I understand the argument against the "Leafs Suck" chant but other than that, we have absolutely zero identity as a fan base.

Leafs *****es is an identity.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I am fine with "Heatley sucks! Heatley sucks!"

I am not cool with "F you Heatley!"

If you want to go to a place where that is cool, go to a sports bar. I don't take my 5 year old to pg13 movies. I do not want to have to explain to him what some of those words mean.

You want these kids to grow up to be Sens fans, then you have to respect the parents wishes. They come off as unintelligent when saying stuff like that.

I am pretty sure it was a RSU member that yelled "Pick Wade Belak!" during the All-star vote. Way to keep it classy.

...but you take him to a sporting event that serves alcohol and has bareknuckle fighting?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

I'd rather our identity not be "that one team that always has the Leafs on our mind." Time to forge a new identity if that's the case.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I'd rather our identity not be "that one team that always has the Leafs on our mind." Time to forge a new identity if that's the case.

That's all well and good, but we've had 20 years to do that. The problem isn't that we have a "Leafs Suck" chant, the problem is that we're not sufficient in cheering for our own team just as well.

The "Peagau/Ole" chant was by far the best thing we've created as a vocal fan base. We need more of that, but I don't think we necessarily should get rid of the "Leafs Suck" chant. We just need make some additions.

John Holmes*

How about beating the Leafs once before busting out the tired, tired, tired Leafs suck chant?

15 years later and it's still going...

That is pathetic.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
What? Why?

Oh, I see. "When in Rome", and all that.

Does RSU also charge a service fee?

I believe they want to do it in order to help fund future events/initiatives/etc for the group?

How about beating the Leafs once before busting out the tired, tired, tired Leafs suck chant?

15 years later and it's still going...

That is pathetic.

I think it's fun tbh. I kind of get what you are saying, and if we were perpetually losing to Leafs in the playoffs I may agree, but those series were over a decade ago. We have had good teams since then, one even making it to the cup final, and presumably would have beat the leafs if they could have actually managed to make the playoffs once in a while.

Seeing it as pathetic to say the Leafs suck because we lost to them in the playoffs over 10 years ago seems more insecure to me than chanting against a rival team. Just my opinion though, maybe I am just pathetic :P

Last edited:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
...but you take him to a sporting event that serves alcohol and has bareknuckle fighting?

The same place that sells cotton candy and toys with the hockey logo on it.

he also knows about fighting, the things he doesn't need to know about are censored on this site.

Last edited:

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I'm not going to lie, while this group seems very good at face value, after reading the Facebook group, some of the main people are a little... obsessed. And not in a die-hard, loud fan way. More in the "I followed Bobby Ryan home one night" way. Those are not the people I really want to spend an evening with, or really be associated with.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I feel alot of people here are taking this way out of context and that a few bad experiences have created a false opinion.

As an original RSA member who was there when it was stood up, the idea was to create an official fangroup to raise the level of fun/noise/excitement in our barn. Then tie this fan group to the franchise (which has been done and is recognized by the team) to create deals for fans which we had hoped would in turn help the team by providing a stronger atmosphere which players do pick up on. We were tired of every other teams fans coming in and making our team and town look minor league. Perhaps Ottawa is a market with poor fans but there is never a harm in trying.

Personally i have never heard anyone in the group even imply they are any better a fan than anyone else simply for being in said group. I have seen alot of people gain new freinds and relationships by attending games together in large groups and having a lot of fun.

I am older now and a lot less involved than in my younger days and perhaps am not as up to speed as to some of the shenanigans some seem to take issues with however i still support the group and the main cause of making our building in Ottawa somewhat feared by the opponent due to the noise level and general enthusiasm of the fans.

I was not in support of the spezza rally as i feel the group should focus only on positives and i am strongly pushing them to create some sort of properly planned fan fest/bbq/celebratory event by the fans for the fans with plenty of lead up time where sens fans of all kinds can come out and be around those with a similar interest in a fun atmosphere.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The same place that sells cotton candy and toys with the hockey logo on it.

he also knows about fighting, the things he doesn't need to know about are censored on this site.

I just don't think that somebody should be expected to modify their behaviour because someone else chose to bring their child somewhere. Adults paid for their tickets, they can do anything that isn't breaking the law. You don't have to expose your child to that, the choice belongs to the parent to bring the kid or not. its not up to the rest of the world to act in a way that someone else deems appropriate for children.

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
I was contemplating joining a few years ago. Cost $20 and you get a scarf that was pretty cool. Discounts on sitting in section 316 I think it is.

Some of the antics of a few members turned me off to the idea.
Starting **** with other fans. Saying chants with curse words (I bring my kid to some games)
I know that is only a few members, but there should be guidelines on how to behave.

A few years ago I did try to join. Paid the 20 bucks but never received anything.

Was in communication with someone who kept assuring me I would receive the scarf and whatever else came with it.

Never happened, however it doesn't matter as I'm 4000 km away from the CTC now.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Anything that can get the crowd louder (and not artificially I must add) is fine by me. And "Leafs suck" feels... right. It's good to have real passionate fans.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was not in support of the spezza rally as i feel the group should focus only on positives and i am strongly pushing them to create some sort of properly planned fan fest/bbq/celebratory event by the fans for the fans with plenty of lead up time where sens fans of all kinds can come out and be around those with a similar interest in a fun atmosphere.

They should heed your advice more often

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
Anything that can get the crowd louder (and not artificially I must add) is fine by me. And "Leafs suck" feels... right. It's good to have real passionate fans.

When the Leafs are in the building it's one thing - but when they're not and the loudest "chant" is Leafs Suck instead of anything to cheer on the Sens...there's something wrong there.

Where are the Sens fans to cheer on the home team? Do these guys only go to the game to say "Leafs Suck" while the Leafs are nowhere near Ottawa?

Chant it all you want when the Leafs are here.

I just think that if the Sens want to be the "Best fans"...how about always cheering FOR YOUR Team and not against one that isn't even the opponent that night. The fans are entirely quiet and all of a sudden it's "Leafs Suck" and your team is losing a close game 2-1 against the Red Wings (or whatever). Let's forget what is actually happening in the building...

Anyway - I can't change what happens in the CTC...I'll keep on cheering FOR the Sens and not against a team that I really don't care about. I always yell "Go Sens" instead...maybe one day it'll catch on.

Like I said before - I would love to have the same type of atmosphere as during the playoffs - but a ton of the fans that will actually show up for the playoffs won't do it during the regular season...

Go Sens!!!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I just don't think that somebody should be expected to modify their behaviour because someone else chose to bring their child somewhere. Adults paid for their tickets, they can do anything that isn't breaking the law. You don't have to expose your child to that, the choice belongs to the parent to bring the kid or not. its not up to the rest of the world to act in a way that someone else deems appropriate for children.

Normally I would agree, but let's put this a different way. Ottawa is in a unique situation where it's imperative to build a fanbase. The old farts in the city will never let go of their beloved Leafs/Habs. The ones the team targets are the kids. Those kids are desperately needed in the stands for Ottawa to be a strong franchise with *gasp!* a healthy fanbase in another 10+ years.

Fans can act like jerky jerks during mid-week games...leave the weekends and "school friendly" games more family-friendly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad