Roy or Hasek?

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
does roy literally have a photographic memory or is this just a figure of speech?

Adam Foote alluded to it when they were playing, but his father acknowledged it in his biography. Roy had been brought before a disciplinary committee in midget AAA after a referee tripped over a stick (but claimed to have been pushed), but had perfect recall of the positioning of everyone on the ice.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I think Hasek has an argument over Lemieux in the all time list. He did things people did not think were possible and did them repeatedly. Due to the nature of his position he could influence games to greater degree than Lemieux. He has one legendary Cup run to Lemieux's two.

I'm OK with Hasek being #5. But anything lower sells him short. His peak was right up there with the Big Four.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm really impressed by Jacques Plante, the more I look at his career. He was amazing.

He had the lowest GAA in those late-50s' Habs' dynasties, and sure, as with any winning goalie, you can dismiss it as "well, look at the team in front of him". But I don't think the Habs back then necessarily were a defense-oriented team. Players like young Beliveau, M. Richard, and Geoffrion were not necessarily good defensive players.

But then you look at Plante's stats with St.Louis in 1968-69 (.940 on an expansion team! and .950 in the playoffs), and esp. with Toronto in 1970-71 (.944 and a 24-11-4 record on a not-very-good team), where, as a 42-year-old, his numbers are way better than 25-year-old Bernie Parent (and massively better than the main back-up, Bruce Gamble) and it becomes clear that Plante had something special going on that transcended eras or teams.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think Hasek has an argument over Lemieux in the all time list. He did things people did not think were possible and did them more than once. Due to the nature of his position he could influence games to greater degree than Lemieux. He has one legendary Cup run to Lemieux's two.

I'm OK with Hasek being #5. But anything lower sells him short. His peak was right up there with the Big Four.
That might be pushing it a bit. Hašek certainly has a case for being #5, but so do a few others guys at least. Anyway, I agree he's probably the #1 or at worst #2 goalie on this list.

shortsideandwide

Feb 20, 2023
I was rocking a black satan jersey that 99 playoff run, the goathead sabres black satan jersey is quite possibly the most bad ass jersey ever. But 100% hasek.

Roy was the reason why the NHL had to put a rule on pad sizes. Dude was rocking those giant Koho pads, his glove was literally like 3 sizes atleast to big, i remember that game that dude took a slapshot, and it just ripped apart his glove and went it, because theres nothing behind it lol, its essentially like shooting at just a glove, with no hand in it kind of, its gunna come apart quicker. He started getting called out for it around this time to, and alot of fans started catching on. Also those Koho pads were trash, theres a reason they dont make goalie gear at a high level anymore. But hasek, hasek was much much more innovative just everywhere, hasek was the first goalie to start cutting the top of his pads at a angle so when he closed his 5 hole it was flush, you can see this and the commentator mentioning it in the 1999 run one of the games on his bauer reactor 5's, wich were wayy better IMO than that Koho stuff, the one thing Koho did do cool was start like putting white on pads and putting white around the 5 hole, i also heard Roy himself had this idea so im not sure but Koho was putting out those white pads and wild colorways early. But Hasek literally changed how pads are made after he did that companys started doing that cutting the top part of the pad on an angle to get the 5 hole flush. Dude was definitly thinking outside the box and ahead of his time, he found ways to cover angles while being out of position, people thought he was just flailing his legs around, but that wasnt what he was doing. He sort of like windmills his glovehand, followed by his right pad, followed by the next pad, and we saw that wild technique work over and over again.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
No real wrong answer here. Roy's 4 Cups and dominance in the position speaks for itself.

But Hasek.....granted I have only watched hockey since 1989 but I've never seen a goalie who was worth the price of admission besides Hasek. Not only were his numbers insane, but he mostly played for teams that weren't so great sans Detroit and Ottawa. Some of the saves he made we will never see the likes of ever again. That save on Trent Klatt and his save on Doug Weight are easily the greatest saves I've ever seen, with respect to the Cujo save off Nieuwendyk and Holtby on Marchessault.

So Hasek for me, but a close 2nd to Roy and a close 3rd to Brodeur.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I was rocking a black satan jersey that 99 playoff run, the goathead sabres black satan jersey is quite possibly the most bad ass jersey ever. But 100% hasek.

Roy was the reason why the NHL had to put a rule on pad sizes. Dude was rocking those giant Koho pads, his glove was literally like 3 sizes atleast to big, i remember that game that dude took a slapshot, and it just ripped apart his glove and went it, because theres nothing behind it lol, its essentially like shooting at just a glove, with no hand in it kind of, its gunna come apart quicker. He started getting called out for it around this time to, and alot of fans started catching on. Also those Koho pads were trash, theres a reason they dont make goalie gear at a high level anymore. But hasek, hasek was much much more innovative just everywhere, hasek was the first goalie to start cutting the top of his pads at a angle so when he closed his 5 hole it was flush, you can see this and the commentator mentioning it in the 1999 run one of the games on his bauer reactor 5's, wich were wayy better IMO than that Koho stuff, the one thing Koho did do cool was start like putting white on pads and putting white around the 5 hole, i also heard Roy himself had this idea so im not sure but Koho was putting out those white pads and wild colorways early. But Hasek literally changed how pads are made after he did that companys started doing that cutting the top part of the pad on an angle to get the 5 hole flush. Dude was definitly thinking outside the box and ahead of his time, he found ways to cover angles while being out of position, people thought he was just flailing his legs around, but that wasnt what he was doing. He sort of like windmills his glovehand, followed by his right pad, followed by the next pad, and we saw that wild technique work over and over again.

That was the era he played in. Roy dominated with the tiny equipment earlier in his year, and he dominated afterwards.

The goalie equipment got so ridiculous by the late 90s that none of the oversized goaltenders looked out of place other than whatever Garth snow wore on his shoulders.

You could count the small equipment goalies on one hand by the early 2000s, I think. Brodeur and theodore come to mind.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad