Line Combos: Rounding out the Roster Next Season (2018-2019)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
4 Questions for you:

1. With only a 2 or 3 spots left (assuming our graduating Marlies are going to be full-time next season), who do you see rounding out the Roster?

2. Who will be the biggest surprise?

3. Who will the biggest let down?

4. Do you see TOR trading/PTO for one of the spots?

These are the sure forward spots for now:

Marleau Tavares Marner
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Brown
________ _______ Kapanen
________

I left out the last 3 forwards because we don't know who will win the spots. Some of the potential players could be Grunstrom, Jooris, Ennis, Leivo, Brooks, Gauthier, and Lindholm.

The defense has 1 spot:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Ziatsev
Dermott ________
_________

The most likely people that could take those spots are Ozhiganov, Carrick, Holl, Rosen, Borgman, and Marincin.

Goalies seem to be the most crowded and very little room to move in. After Andersen it will be hard to knock off McElhinney.

Andersen
McElhinney

Possible players to replace McGoalie: Sparks and Pickard

What do you think?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Seems like our roster won't change too much from now till the season starts so sure. This is pretty much a combination of what I want and what I think is still considered plausible.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown
Jooris-Lindholm-Kapanen

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

PP1
Tavares
Matthews-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

PP2
Marleau
Kapanen-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

PK1
Hyman-Brown
Hainsey-Zaitsev

PK2
Jooris-Kapanen
Rielly-Ozhiganov

Not going to get into the biggest surprise or dissapointment.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
:nod:
4 Questions for you:

1. With only a 2 or 3 spots left (assuming our graduating Marlies are going to be full-time next season), who do you see rounding out the Roster?

These are the sure forward spots for now:

Marleau Tavares Marner
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Brown
Leivo Lindholm Kapanen
________

I left out the last 3 forwards because we don't know who will win the spots. Some of the potential players could be Grunstrom, Jooris, Ennis, Leivo, Brooks, Gauthier, and Lindholm.

The defense has 1 spot:

Rielly Gardiner
Dermott
Zaitsev
Rosen Hainsey
Carrick

The most likely people that could take those spots are Ozhiganov, Carrick, Holl, Rosen, Borgman, and Marincin.

Goalies seem to be the most crowded and very little room to move in. After Andersen it will be hard to knock off McElhinney.

Andersen
McElhinney

Possible players to replace McGoalie: Sparks and Pickard

What do you think?

Its honestly mainly guesswork as so much could happen at training camp or through the year, but this is what I think would be interesting. If either Reilly or Gardiner switched to the right, and managed to play it well it could solve lot of our RHD concerns - but this is honestly guesswork and probably not likely.

I also potentially see the 3rd line switching spots on the right side between Brown and Kappy based on home vs road. At home I can see Babs going Johnnson-Kadri-Brown. On the road Johnnson-Kadri-Kappy and Brown to strengthen the defensive awareness/workhorse mentality of the 4th line.

Kappy - I'm higher on Kappy then probably most, could be wrong, but something about his combination of speed and skill that if he puts it all together, he's going to be very very good.

Dermott - I really hope I'm wrong, but I think his play last year was soooo good that perhaps expectations on him will be very high this year and could mean a bit of a step back as he'll be playing a full year and probably be given some increased responsibilities. Still will be real good in my opinion, not like a Zaitsev type 2nd year (injury factor there as well), but again just could come down to expectations being too high. I hope he proves me wrong and has an even better 2nd year and maybe even graduates to top 4 :thumbu:

If Gardiner and Leafs are not on the same page as far as contract demands go, I could see Leafs making a trade, but otherwise I would be surprised to see much more movement at this point.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
One guy I can think of being a big surprise is Leivo. I haven't been his biggest fan but if he can manage to break into the lineup, I think he has a very good chance he'll end up on a PP unit. If he finds a place there I think he can put up some decent points. I really hope he brings it his all this training camp though and forces his way onto the lineup, hoping he brings more hustle and speed so Babcock can trust him.

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
Also rooting pretty hard for Leivo to win a spot, but I'm not that confident that he will. I could see Jooris winning over Babs, but I do think Dubas originally signed him for the Marlies.

I really wouldn't be shocked if Trevor Moore makes the team as the 4th line LW. He was extremely impressive during the Marlies run, and I think him and Brown/Kappy flanking whoever is the 4c would make a pretty good 4th line. They're all great puck hounds.

Reactions: Liminality

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
One guy I can think of being a big surprise is Leivo. I haven't been his biggest fan but if he can manage to break into the lineup, I think he has a very good chance he'll end up on a PP unit. If he finds a place there I think he can put up some decent points. I really hope he brings it his all this training camp though and forces his way onto the lineup, hoping he brings more hustle and speed so Babcock can trust him.

That would be the best case scenario for Leivo. Of course, it's also possible that he gets waived near the end of training camp.

I'm betting on Ennis taking one of the forward spots.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Competition is at LW, C and D (possibly backup goalie too).

Think we'll opt for one spare F and two spare D. If so, it might be beneficial that the forward is capable of playing wing and some centre, so I could see that being Jooris (outside chance of Ennis). Not expecting Leivo to be a spare again, so he's either in the lineup or traded (should have enough trade value not to waive). I'd guess Lindholm wins the 4C spot and Gauthier is risked to waivers/traded, with either of Leivo or Ennis also being out.

Think Marincin and Holl are the spare D, and Carrick wins a spot over Ozhiganov due to having NHL experience. Won't be surprised if Ozhiganov displaces him over the course of the season though.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hyman matthews nylander
brown tavares marner
johnsson kadri kapanen
leivo marleau ennis

maybe try marleau at c

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Read in the paper today ennis lindholm grundstrom, however it was just speculation of course

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Read in the paper today ennis lindholm grundstrom, however it was just speculation of course

hmm..well the RW spots are Marner, Nylander, Brown and Kappy...so I don't see how all 3 of Ennis, Lindholm and Grundstrom would have spots..unless of course a trade is coming but I doubt it.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Goalie. I think the Leafs allow Sparks to stay a Leaf October. Gotta see if he NHL potential.

Dmen. Think Ozhinikov starts with Marlies but might be Leaf before long replacing Carrick. I like Borgman, but Leafs might have him playing minutes with the Marlies instead of having him sitting as 7th Dman.

Grundstrom might deserve to be a Leaf, but it's a crowded left wing. Maybe he gets big minutes with the Marlies to start season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs battles in camp will be for LW #3 and #4 spots as well as 3rd pairing Dman mostly on the RHD pushing Carrick for the #6 and #7 spots and of course the 4th line C is still up in the air..

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
hmm..well the RW spots are Marner, Nylander, Brown and Kappy...so I don't see how all 3 of Ennis, Lindholm and Grundstrom would have spots..unless of course a trade is coming but I doubt it.

Sorry, that was supposed to be the fourth line. I’m not agreeing with it at all, just what I read. I really hope kapanen is on the starting lineup for a full 82 games.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Sorry, that was supposed to be the fourth line. I’m not agreeing with it at all, just what I read. I really hope kapanen is on the starting lineup for a full 82 games.
Considering Kap didn't play with the Marlies in the playoffs like Dermott/Johnsson I think that means he has graduated to the Leafs full time.

Reactions: Dzonna

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
That would be the best case scenario for Leivo. Of course, it's also possible that he gets waived near the end of training camp.

I'm betting on Ennis taking one of the forward spots.

We got a 7th rounder for Nolan Vesey....I'm pretty sure we chould get a pick for Leivo before he's waived.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
We got a 7th rounder for Nolan Vesey....I'm pretty sure we chould get a pick for Leivo before he's waived.

That's true. But better players than Leivo are waived every year. Don't be surprised if we lose some depth players this way. It's something that happens to good teams.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
The top 3 lines are firm.

The top 6 D are firm with Carrick rounding the last spot.

The starter is firm.

From a team performance standpoint, little else matters. Especially considering that the Leafs are a playoffs lock.

Sparks has the most future value of the 3 so he'll get the backup role.

The biggest roster question right now though is what is going to happen to Gardiner.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

If all three (Ennis, Lindholm and Grundstrom) make it it would mean one of Brown, Johnsson or Kapanen doesn't. Unless one of those other three is traded/injured I can't see it happening.

Reactions: Dzonna

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Gauthier - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott- Carrick​

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Lindholm - Brown
ex. Ennis + Waiver Claim

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
ex. Holl

Andersen
Sparks

Biggest surprise is Lindholm. Biggest disappointment is Zaitsev. Could see a lot of Borgman, Ozhiganov and Rosen.

Reactions: Hockeylaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad