Round Two

SJ or Vegas?

• Total voters

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
IMG_20190420_124601.png

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Totally agree, but simply "holding" doesn't equate to wins, it just gives a chance of rolling with the big dogs and hope the bounces go our way. We're not going to be able to outcoach Gallant as we did with Peters.
I'm not nearly as worried about facing the top teams after watching our first round.

Yes Calgary didn't play great, but we also didn't let them.

We scored 17 goals in the series, when we could have had 30.

I think we can do ok against Vegas. I'd go so far as to say Avs in 6. I'm feeling it!

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Sharks, Avs speed will give the Sharks trouble like it did to Flames, but Vegas I believe can match the Avs speed and they'll be a tougher opponent

Reactions: MacBradley

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Stupid question but as the eighth seed, are the Avs are ineligible to have home ice in the POs?

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I am all for wanting to give Jones a beatdown, but if they come back then that means they were the better and deserved to be here. I am not sure Avs can beat one of those teams, but I would absolutely love to see our 1st line be matched against VGK's first line. That has the potential to be some amazing hockey. Lets have fun as long as we're in it!

I agree about a VGK matchup. But I think we will present a harder matchup for the VGK now than earlier in the season because the VGK play an aggressive forecheck and with the Avs breakout, both in terms of speed and passing, hopefully that will force them to play back somewhat. As to not being sure if the Avs could beat the VGK or Blues, I have to disagree with you here SEPH (and I have great respect for your hockey knowledge and opinions) because I believe this team is very capable of winning it all this year. Didn't think so without Makar. Now, I think so because the Blues wouldn't dominate us physically so much. Hard, yes? Regardless, the team is playing extremely well right now such that it made Soda's lack of offense in the Flames series a non-factor.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Was at the Eagles game last night and my friend said he'd heard some radioheads commenting there was a way for the Avs to get home ice depending on what the outcome was in other series. I was like, 'What? No way. We're the 8th seed.' So I thought I'd ask the Gods of Knowledge of All Things Related to Hockey.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I agree about a VGK matchup. But I think we will present a harder matchup for the VGK now than earlier in the season because the VGK play an aggressive forecheck and with the Avs breakout, both in terms of speed and passing, hopefully that will force them to play back somewhat. As to not being sure if the Avs could beat the VGK or Blues, I have to disagree with you here SEPH (and I have great respect for your hockey knowledge and opinions) because I believe this team is very capable of winning it all this year. Didn't think so without Makar. Now, I think so because the Blues wouldn't dominate us physically so much. Hard, yes? Regardless, the team is playing extremely well right now such that it made Soda's lack of offense in the Flames series a non-factor.
FTR I don't think Vegas is an elite team capable of sweeping us, they have holes and not having a number #1 defender might become a big factor in their ability to stop MacKinnon. I just don't think it is as easy as "I want Sharks" because both teams, to me, hilariously have different strengths than one another. Sharks have defenders and forwards that could potentially shutdown MacKinnon, but their coach is from the stone age and their goaler is a nerfherder. Sharks actually have good depth compared to Flames and should use it better than Calgary.

Vegas' forward group will definitely cause many more problems than Flames ghosts', but defencive issues I presented above will allow MacKinnon to go full-on running riot. However, Gallant is a way better coach who has the ability and IQ to slow down MacKinnon and then on top of that we're going to have to face Fleury who has the ability to make huge momentum changing saves. I don't think he's been on his game as good as last year, but still will be a Smith-esque issue to deal with. Another aspect I see is that Knights' powerplay is operating at 33.3% percent and Avs might get ripped apart here. I am proceeding on the side of caution which is why I mentioned I don't see us beating them, but I also have no concerns about some 'umble optimism being thrown around here.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Was at the Eagles game last night and my friend said he'd heard some radioheads commenting there was a way for the Avs to get home ice depending on what the outcome was in other series. I was like, 'What? No way. We're the 8th seed.' So I thought I'd ask the Gods of Knowledge of All Things Related to Hockey.

Oh I was just being a dick & jumped on the set-up. Didn't mean nothing by it :thumbu:

Reactions: flyfysher

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It'd be interesting to see us play SJ, and see how Makar looks in games against Karlsson.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So you're saying that their old asses will be exhausted? :sarcasm:

Nah but they'll start believing in themselves and have all kinds of momentum.

I'd still rather face them than Fleury + the Stone line though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad