Post-Game Talk: ROUND TWO | GAME FIVE | Rangers vs. Senators |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swisssen

Jan 23, 2010
Zurich
You got to love this team, they have an unbelievable mentality.
They never give up til the last secound.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The most satisfying thing I have had the pleasure of experiencing in the last month or so was having all of the Chicken Littles and Debbie Downers who wrote this team off consistently throughout that game last night, or who called the series all but over, who had no faith at all and were ready to tell anyone who would listen that this team lacked (insert talking point X here)... have to eat crow as we tied it up late, and then have a generous second helping as Turris won it in OT.

I had to wipe away a few tears of joy... not only for that brilliant Karlsson slap pass to Burrows - Burrows backhand pass to Turris - Turris skating backwards into the zone and maintaining possession past Girardi's block and sliding it under Lundqvist sequence, but also because it meant that some of the Negative Nellies on this board are forced to actually say something positive about the team for once, and enjoy this team for a brief window in between bouts of compulsively and excessively crapping on every small missed opportunity and less-than-100%-optimal play.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You got to love this team, they have an unbelievable mentality.
They never give up til the last secound.

Are we the only two Sens fans in Switzerland these days? Haha.

I don't know what it's like in Zurich for NHL stuff, but in the Genève-Lac Leman area, I've been hard pressed to find ANYONE to even casually chat about the NHL playoffs at all.

I heard Zurich is a better hockey city than Genève is, though. I was able to catch a ZSC game in Zurich last year (had to see Matthews a few times before he got drafted), that arena was rocking way more than it usually does here for Genève-Servette games.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
@BonkTastic
Can't stand people who give up on games early. No understanding for how the games work?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The most satisfying thing I have had the pleasure of experiencing in the last month or so was having all of the Chicken Littles and Debbie Downers who wrote this team off consistently throughout that game last night, or who called the series all but over, who had no faith at all and were ready to tell anyone who would listen that this team lacked (insert talking point X here)... have to eat crow as we tied it up late, and then have a generous second helping as Turris won it in OT.

I had to wipe away a few tears of joy... not only for that brilliant Karlsson slap pass to Burrows - Burrows backhand pass to Turris - Turris skating backwards into the zone and maintaining possession past Girardi's block and sliding it under Lundqvist sequence, but also because it meant that some of the Negative Nellies on this board are forced to actually say something positive about the team for once, and enjoy this team for a brief window in between bouts of compulsively and excessively crapping on every small missed opportunity and less-than-100%-optimal play.

Here here. The thing that got me was the fan base that has watched Neiler for over 1000 games and didn't think he would do anything. The guy does something every time he's on the ice, of course he was going to pop Tanner Glass in the face and make him turtle.

Time for the fan base to grow up. What do you think we've been watching the last 93 games? This is the tightest team in the NHL, with every tool for a genius coach.

Let's go Sens Nation

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Can't stand people who give up on games early. No understanding for how the games work?

I need to stay out of GDTs permanently. :laugh:

I fully admit that overt pessimism is easily my least favorite human quality, and I can't stand to be around it. It's ugly, it's depressing, and it makes me irrationally angry. I'm admitting to my fault here - I get tilted at the "defeatist" brand of pessimists in most slices of life, not just limited to hockey. Bugs me to no end.

So obviously, that being said, I agree 100% with your post. This idea that "the game is out of reach once the other team has the lead" is like blissfully ignoring the global history of sports in it's entirety.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Think of it a bit differently. A pessimist can be pleasantly surprised, as things rarely go as bad as the 'worst case scenario' that pessimism implies. An optimist, however, is left down far too often.

Pessimism is basically a security blanket. And a darned good one. :D

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I generally go in with low expectations. But in regards to this series, it isn't over until you lose at home and I stick by that!

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Think of it a bit differently. A pessimist can be pleasantly surprised, as things rarely go as bad as the 'worst case scenario' that pessimism implies. An optimist, however, is left down far too often.

Pessimism can be a very healthy outlook, provided you respond to it with preparation.

Being a debbie downer all over the place is, well, a downer. (Not implying you're that, I honestly can't keep track of anyone's disposition in this forum.)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

think of it a bit differently. Optimism can certainly lead to being let down however pessimism is extraordinarily stressful when paired with success. We are 1 win more being in the ECF yet what keeps certain threads going are the dark clouds that hang over this franchise and its players that exist in the minds of the pessimist. Always having to find the negative in a overall positive situation is a tough way to go through life

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
think of it a bit differently. Optimism can certainly lead to being let down however pessimism is extraordinarily stressful when paired with success. We are 1 win more being in the ECF yet what keeps certain threads going are the dark clouds that hang over this franchise and its players that exist in the minds of the pessimist. Always having to find the negative in a overall positive situation is a tough way to go through life

It also depends on your emotional state. If you have confidence in the team, any dark clouds can easily be ignored. Laughed at, even. Be confident in how you feel about the team! Why let words on a screen get you down?

Like the main boards...who is going to put any weight to the opinion of someone on the main boards when they constantly call Erik a 4th forward? Why bother to argue or debate them? All you can do is laugh at the stupidity.

But, like I said....it's a security blanket. Oh, in other terms, and air bag. It helps soften the blow in a crash. And, let's be honest here....these boards have a ton of die-hards, who really get emotionally crushed in a loss or end of season. This is an effective defense mechanism to soften the sting. (At least, that's how it seems most people on here use the negativity.)

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

This is a ridiculous philosophy and pretty much ensures that you will not attain very much success in life.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You need to have balance. Pessimism is good sometimes because without it you'd be living in a dream world and wouldn't be very rational in decision making. Overly pessimistic though and no one will ever want to even see or speak with you. Just like people who are always optimistic can do the same thing.

Everything is a balance.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Did I just read two pages of start Condon over Anderson?

da fuq you guys smoking?

It was very strange indeed.

He got the W and made some huge saves at key times while allowing a not so great goal against.

But for our usual suspects unless a player plays a mistake-free game he is mediocre and needs to be replaced.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It also depends on your emotional state. If you have confidence in the team, any dark clouds can easily be ignored. Laughed at, even. Be confident in how you feel about the team! Why let words on a screen get you down?

Like the main boards...who is going to put any weight to the opinion of someone on the main boards when they constantly call Erik a 4th forward? Why bother to argue or debate them? All you can do is laugh at the stupidity.

But, like I said....it's a security blanket. Oh, in other terms, and air bag. It helps soften the blow in a crash. And, let's be honest here....these boards have a ton of die-hards, who really get emotionally crushed in a loss or end of season. This is an effective defense mechanism to soften the sting. (At least, that's how it seems most people on here use the negativity.)

At age 33 I finally, finally matured to the point where I can be genuinely excited about a win and not care about a loss (most of the time).

Feels good.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hoffman's butt end to the face of Brendan Smith on the game tieing goal is the best butt end I've ever seen.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At age 33 I finally, finally matured to the point where I can be genuinely excited about a win and not care about a loss (most of the time).

Feels good.

Maturity does play a role in it. But, so do emotions. Some folks just care too much, and can't turn the switch off.

It's funny, the last 10 years or so, I've been able to turn that switch off regarding international tournaments (very useful with the WJC). The Sens....depends on the opponent. That switch will be full on against the Habs or Leafs....doubt that will ever change. Everyone else....meh. I couldn't muster the energy to hate either Boston or New York (so far) this year.

Weird how things work out.

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
Are we the only two Sens fans in Switzerland these days? Haha.

I don't know what it's like in Zurich for NHL stuff, but in the Genève-Lac Leman area, I've been hard pressed to find ANYONE to even casually chat about the NHL playoffs at all.

I heard Zurich is a better hockey city than Genève is, though. I was able to catch a ZSC game in Zurich last year (had to see Matthews a few times before he got drafted), that arena was rocking way more than it usually does here for Genève-Servette games.

Here's another Sens fan in Switzerland :) but yeah I personally know nobody else who really follows the NHL playoffs. There are probably some here in Bern among the SC Bern fans, but I'm not all that immersed in the fanbase.

As an aside: I understand all these Saturday afternoon games are not well liked among Sens fans in North America, but I love them. It's impossible for me to watch evening games these days (cause they're 1AM - 4AM without overtime), but those 3PM Eastern Time games are perfect (starting at 9PM here).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
As an aside: I understand all these Saturday afternoon games are not well liked among Sens fans in North America, but I love them. It's impossible for me to watch evening games these days (cause they're 1AM - 4AM without overtime), but those 3PM Eastern Time games are perfect (starting at 9PM here).

Dear god, yes. This.

It's nice to occasionally be able to watch live games without having to stay up until 4am.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
You need to have balance. Pessimism is good sometimes because without it you'd be living in a dream world and wouldn't be very rational in decision making. Overly pessimistic though and no one will ever want to even see or speak with you. Just like people who are always optimistic can do the same thing.

Everything is a balance.

Is that you Ramirez? There can be only one!!

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
Dear god, yes. This.

It's nice to occasionally be able to watch live games without having to stay up until 4am.

For sure. A few years back when I was still a student I would watch games during the night quite regularly, like once a week even during the regular season. Those days are gone for good now. I don't think I have watched more than three or four complete games this regular season. It's nice to be able to watch kinda regularly during the playoffs when games get more interesting and important. It certainly has revived my personal fandom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad