GDT: Round Robing Game 2 -- Blues vs. Knights | 5:30 CT, FSMW|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If they don’t care about tonight’s game I’m not gonna get too worked up about it. But they better be ready next week when it’s for real. And frankly they’ve given no indication they will be.

Reactions: Bendak and 67Blues

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
If they don’t care about tonight’s game I’m not gonna get too worked up about it. But they better be ready next week when it’s for real. And frankly they’ve given no indication they will be.

I hope that’s the case, but why are we the only team that seemingly doesn’t care?

Reactions: Bendak

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Some individuals have looked OK, but the team as a whole hasn't looked good at all.

Nothing is in sync. No support. No layering. No physicality. No presence in the middle of the ice. A general lack of coordination and timing.

Toss on a large number of individual lapses on top of that, and you get what we're seeing. It's a preseason quality game against a team playing better than that (but still not great themselves).
I’m not seeing a lot of urgency to their game either, TBH. I’m not sure that’s a switch you want to try to flip on in Game 1, Round 1. Hopefully they can find that on Sunday.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i think it just might take more games than some people would prefer. i've seen some sloppy hockey from just about every team and some of these games even matter for some of those teams.

Reactions: Bendak

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues are still not playing with urgency. I hope they decide they are going to go full-out in the game against The Stars. They've already played all 3 games since the season started again, not playing 100%. They'd better not make it 4. or it may be tough to get in sync in Game 1 of their 1st series. And, I'd rather have had Allen play this game, and Binnington played the last Round-Robin game. I don't want to see The Blues avoid the post Stanley Cup winning letdown during the regular season without their leading goal scorer, and then have a big letdown in the playoffs. instead.

Reactions: jura and Bendak

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I largely approached these games as them not mattering but just wanted to see the Blues gradually get back to where they were for most of the season, regardless if they won or lost every game. Well there hasn’t been much progression (though I did think after the first against COL they played better than they got credit for, they just couldn’t score) and the results are obviously not there.

It’s safe to say this was not progress and was a pretty big shitshow. I’m always wary when teams and switches start getting tossed around as I think that’s tough for teams to do. I really hope we see something from them against DAL, who is perhaps the only team who has looked worse than the Blues thus far.

Reactions: Bendak and Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
They've gone from suck to blow.
They might need to comb the bubble to find their game.
200.gif

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
So our offense could not sustain pressure, but thanks to leaky Flower we score 4. I was hoping our offensive zone pressure would be getting better. But, it hasn’t. At the same time our defense got worse.

I am not loving the direction we are headed

Reactions: Vollie27 and Bendak

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
So our offense could not sustain pressure, but thanks to leaky Flower we score 4. I was hoping our offensive zone pressure would be getting better. But, it hasn’t. At the same time our defense got worse.

I am not loving the direction we are headed
Oddly enough, I really like the way Faulk has played these last two games, in particular the way he challenges opposing forwards trying to enter the zone with speed. I much prefer that to our typical strategy of collapsing and attempting to funnel the play from the inside to the wall against a team that likes to create offense off the rush. I just don't think that physical, low event style works against teams that are that fast. Our Corsi last night was abysmal - Korac reported it on Twitter as VGK - 71, STL - 28 in shot attempts - and you have to play with the puck A LOT more against teams like that.

If you look back to last year's playoffs, we played the Jets and Stars in the first two rounds, two teams that are probably in the middle third of the league in team speed, then the Sharks and Bruins, two teams that I would put in the bottom third of the league with us. I'm just not sure we're going to be able to force a physical, grind it out style against fast teams like Colorado and Vegas. Our first round matchup looks like it is either going to be the Canucks or the Flames, unless either the Oilers or Preds can mount a comeback. But even if that holds up and we get past one of them, it is going to be one of Vegas or Colorado in Round 2 and the other in the WCF if we're going to keep playing, barring one of those two teams getting upset in the first two rounds. Right now, after the pause, I feel like those two teams are clearly the top two in the West and we had better find our game quickly if we're going to have something to say about that.

Reactions: mk80 and Bendak

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Oddly enough, I really like the way Faulk has played these last two games, in particular the way he challenges opposing forwards trying to enter the zone with speed. I much prefer that to our typical strategy of collapsing and attempting to funnel the play from the inside to the wall against a team that likes to create offense off the rush. I just don't think that physical, low event style works against teams that are that fast. Our Corsi last night was abysmal - Korac reported it on Twitter as VGK - 71, STL - 28 in shot attempts - and you have to play with the puck A LOT more against teams like that.

If you look back to last year's playoffs, we played the Jets and Stars in the first two rounds, two teams that are probably in the middle third of the league in team speed, then the Sharks and Bruins, two teams that I would put in the bottom third of the league with us. I'm just not sure we're going to be able to force a physical, grind it out style against fast teams like Colorado and Vegas. Our first round matchup looks like it is either going to be the Canucks or the Flames, unless either the Oilers or Preds can mount a comeback. But even if that holds up and we get past one of them, it is going to be one of Vegas or Colorado in Round 2 and the other in the WCF if we're going to keep playing, barring one of those two teams getting upset in the first two rounds. Right now, after the pause, I feel like those two teams are clearly the top two in the West and we had better find our game quickly if we're going to have something to say about that.

I think if we are giving a 60 minute effort playing our A or even B grade game, then I like our chances against anyone, even Colorado and Vegas.

I rated our first period as our B+ level game and thought we looked good. Then it was like the Blues got replaced by my beer league team in the intermission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad