GDT: Round Robin Game 1| Blues vs. Avs |Back in the Game|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Thomas is easily the most skilled Blues player but this game was dog shit. Can’t expect to win games with this kind of team effort

Reactions: Bendak

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I know these games don't really matter but I'm really nervous with how the team is looking right now. Hopefully they look more like themselves against Vegas and Dallas. Or perhaps they're just waiting for the final 16 to turn it up a gear.
Other than a poir effort on that last penalty kill when the team was tired, the defense i thought looked super solid. They gave up a high shot total, but the number of dangerous shots wasnt that great. Binny looked solid.

Offense looked weak though. Hopefully we can get that going. The whole schenn schwartz tarasenko line was anemic.

Our 4th line was okay not great. Perron had that snipe on the pp but otherwise he was just okay. Oreilly did decent faceoff work. Sanford looked bad to me.

Thomas had some moments but was inconsistent. Bozak was okay. I thought blais was really buzzing.

Parayko looked below his usual but otherwise the defense was solid.

Lets hope some guys get their timing and can figure out the offense with a few reps.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Too many defensive zone turnovers in the first half. Bad ice, bouncy puck. But they looked better than the Chicago game.

Extremely unlikely they could get the 1st seed now, which would eliminate any chance of facing Chicago 1st round. In the interest of a higher seed, the Blues should be rooting against OT games from the other teams in the round robin.

It’s a relief they still have a couple games to find their playoff chops. I still hope for the best, but don’t expect the Blues to have the necessary magic this time. But maybe they can win a couple series at least.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
The team with the better record should be the home team in these round robin games. It would be a small reward for having the better regular season.

Whatever, Blues hockey is on. Go Blues.

Does anyone know how home/away was determined for these games?

Why don't we have last change?

we better have last change the next 2 games ... i still dont understand why the avs are considered the home team

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Too many defensive zone turnovers in the first half. Bad ice, bouncy puck. But they looked better than the Chicago game.

Extremely unlikely they could get the 1st seed now, which would eliminate any chance of facing Chicago 1st round. In the interest of a higher seed, the Blues should be rooting against OT games from the other teams in the round robin.

It’s a relief they still have a couple games to find their playoff chops. I still hope for the best, but don’t expect the Blues to have the necessary magic this time. But maybe they can win a couple series at least.
Pretty much agreed. The Blues did so well last playoffs because they were able to grind down their opponents and dominate possession as a result. With the 4 months off and teams healthy I don't see that being a viable strategy this time around. I don't think the Blues have the offensive prowess to make up for it unless Tarasenko can find his game quickly.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Very good effort all around. Team is rounding into form, seems the coaches are preparing them well to hit the ice running when the lights go on.

Thought Faulk looked very good, nice passes, good positioning, much more confident than before. Liked those d-pairs a lot.

Blues will be ready when the show starts.

Reactions: Bendak and Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
My player review from the game:

- ROR is starting to solidify his game. He had the second most puck possession in my eyes. His passing was not as dynamic as we are accustomed to seeing. His defense was solid. I don’t think he is far off.

- Perron has a nice one timer, but the rest of the game he looked disengaged aside from some moments later in the game.

- Sanford was a bit of a mess. He was playing a very timid game (aside from the moments immediately after he was hit). He needs to get on the hunt a lot more.

- Schwartz probably had the most offensive zone possession of all the forwards. He was getting after pucks with more frequency than most. He didn’t do a whole lot with his puck possession, but it kept the puck off the oppositions stick. His stick handling was probably the best, followed by ROR. The whole team is really struggling with stick handling outside of those two.

- Schenn had some fleeting moments of good play. He just looks out of sync with his line mates. You can tell he was making an effort to be engaged, but sometimes the effort occurred at the wrong time to be effective. I think that once he has that “click” moment, he will be good to go.

- Tarasenko was pretty bad. Sort of to be expected given how long it’s been since he last played. But, he looked like a player with an exploding grenade on his stick, while skating in quick sand. It seemed like every time he got the puck, he was waiting for the defender to catch up (which didn’t take long). He doesn’t seem to have that explosive stride that once got him the space he needed to shoot. He hasn’t for a while though, preceding this latest injury. He really needs to lose weight on his legs and hips if he wants to get it back. He makes his teammates do a lot of extra work. It would be great if he could improve his skating to become more effective.

-Thomas has his spurts. He looked better as the game went on. But, I really want to see him get his swagger back. He obviously drives that line. I think just getting his feet moving more will help tremendously (that really goes for the whole team).

-Bozak was not geat. He had some nice moments later in the game, but he also had some significant defensive zone gaffs. We need him to be more steady and less of a liability.

- Blais was engaged, but I felt like most of his effort was wasted. He was missing a lot of the hits he threw, he was often behind the play and rarely made a good play with the puck on his stick. He had some good plays, but I was left wondering if someone not playing would have been better.

- Barbashev has one of the better games of any player on the team relative to his responsibilities. He was one of the hungriest puck hounds.

-Sunny played ok. He looked a bit slow relative to his normal speed, but he was pushing. He wasn’t carrying the puck as much as we are use to.

-Steen was largely ineffective. He was just too far behind the play too often. He did have a few decent moments, but he looks like he is plodding along out there.

- Petro had some very clumsy moments. His puck handling and stick work was was way off his fantastic usual self.

-Parayko was the most engaged and active D. But, he couldn’t seem to stick handle. He was also really slow to read when was the correct time to make a transition from skating backwards to forwards when an opponent was approaching. His timing and crossover was off.

-Faulk was fairly steady. He continues to make strange reads with the puck on his stick. There are instances where he has plenty of time and rushes a pass and other times where he has no time and takes too long to move the puck. It seems like he is constantly doing the opposite of what makes sense.

-Gunnerson and Scandella looked like the same player. Some solid D, but their breakout passing was ugly. Scandella was more active offensively. Although, I am not sure it contributed much.

-Dunn didn’t do a whole lot, but that is to be expected with so little practice time and this being his first game. He was steady, which is something we need to see from him moving forward defensively.

Binnington was good. I would like to see him watch how far he comes out in the crease. There were times that his positioning provided great opportunity for the Avalanche to do a goal line tap in with the right pass or bounce. That never really happened, so that was fortunate. Otherwise he had a really good game. It’s not easy for goalies to get up to speed fast. So, kudos there.

Overall, the defense was pretty good. The Blues neutralized Mac’s speed well, playing a good chunk of the game in the defensive zone will do that though (less rush transitions occurred as a result).

The offense, breakout, forechecking, skating and stick handeling need a lot of work.

EDIT: English...Do you speak it? (Enough said)

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Interesting how because we followed the Blues so closely during the Cup run we pretty much know each player's game. Great fun to watch each guy do what he does best.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I am not just saying this because of the fanned shot but Parayko needs to be better. He has been pretty sloppy in the details through two games now.
He was really good against Chicago. They got nothing when he was on ice. Basically all chances were by us.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Need more from Tarasenko
I remember him taking awhile to get back up to his usual self the last time he had shoulder surgery. I think we might be frustrated for awhile now while he's working his way back into things, but once he finds his game again he'll be a great asset to have, and I think that's how it will go again with him this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad