Pre-Game Talk: Round of 16: Belgium vs. United States

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Something's wrong with me. I somehow got sucked into this game.

I didn't even start watching it until I went to sign my lease and it was on in the office. The game was 80 minutes old at that point.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Besler got owned twice. Just had nothing left to contain an elite sub. Depth was the difference.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Besler got owned twice. Just had nothing left to contain an elite sub. Depth was the difference.

This. Lukaka was always going to be the difference as soon as he stepped onto the field. That kind of athleticism against that tired a defense? That's it that's all.

Overall, a great game. Yedlin was awesome. Both he and Green weren't intimidated by the stage and played their game confidently and authoritatively. Good stuff for the future, for sure.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
This. Lukaka was always going to be the difference as soon as he stepped onto the field. That kind of athleticism against that tired a defense? That's it that's all.

Overall, a great game. Yedlin was awesome. Both he and Green weren't intimidated by the stage and played their game confidently and authoritatively. Good stuff for the future, for sure.

The 19 and 20 year old looked good. I don't know if they have anyone to replace Howard though. Going from a top 5 goalie to anything less is going to be tough. Unless they become a MUCH better technical team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Remember when everyone said Klinsmann was an idiot because he brought Brooks, Yedlin, and Green instead of Donovan?

Gonna enjoy watching those guys over the next decade.

Sad but proud tonight.

Exactly. As much as this might sting, the future for US soccer is very VERY bright right now. This isn't even everyone that's coming in by any means.

At the very least Zelalem should be factored in to any roster discussions going forward. And there's another German-American wunderkind that's on the way that I'm just drawing a blank on at the moment.

Yeah, we're likely to be without Dempsey and even Howard in the next cycle. But guys like Yedlin, Jones, Green, Brooks, etc. showed in this World Cup that not only are they the next generation, but that the next generation is going to be even brighter then the one before it. Would not be shocked to see the US make a real solid run yet again in 2018 if not for the fact that it's being held in Europe.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Exactly. As much as this might sting, the future for US soccer is very VERY bright right now. This isn't even everyone that's coming in by any means.

At the very least Zelalem should be factored in to any roster discussions going forward. And there's another German-American wunderkind that's on the way that I'm just drawing a blank on at the moment.

Yeah, we're likely to be without Dempsey and even Howard in the next cycle. But guys like Yedlin, Jones, Green, Brooks, etc. showed in this World Cup that not only are they the next generation, but that the next generation is going to be even brighter then the one before it. Would not be shocked to see the US make a real solid run yet again in 2018 if not for the fact that it's being held in Europe.

His is the first time in a while where I feel confident the future will be better than the present. We have young talent, and while I don't agree with everything klinsman does I think they are finally starting to play the right way to compete internationally. They look so much better than they used to when they possess and attack. Still lacking in possession skill/confidence, and better skill on crosses would go a long way.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I have a friend in New Bedford, MA I asked to send me a pack of Fenway Franks, so I could have a good luck bbq for this afternoon's game. Quite tasty, but unfortunately, not only did they prove to *NOT* be good luck for us, after the fourth one and half a dozen or so beers, I've been bloated and gassy as **** since four o'clock.

:scared::eek:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
These are all pretty amazing, #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave:

Alderaan:
Brjkr1_CAAAyN5G.png

Chiellini:
BrjUWMYCAAA_H6N.jpg

Dinosaurs:
Brjk_vyIYAAesJc.jpg