Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)| 3/29 CSKA contract terminated, may join Flyers soon, new contract 4/23 2x3.25M

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The move the IIHF should make is to ban all KHL imports from playing international comps (Worlds, potentially Olympics)

Almost all EU countries are doing that themselves (banning their KHLers from their national teams).

Canada and USA haven't, but its unlikely any of them are good enough for international competitions anyways…. except for maybe non-NHL Olympics.

That said, a handful of Americans/Canadian KHLers have recently taken Russian citizenship, so they’re technically not imports.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Almost all EU countries are doing that themselves (banning their KHLers from their national teams).

Canada and USA haven't, but its unlikely any of them are good enough for international competitions anyways…. except for maybe non-NHL Olympics.

That said, a handful of Americans/Canadian KHLers have recently taken Russian citizenship, so they’re technically not imports.
They are for IIHF purposes.

Reactions: tnfrs

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So is this guy still technically a Flyer or Flyers property? He signed a contract but was it voided or are he and the KHL just ignoring it. I forget where things landed.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Seeing how bleak the Oilers situation in net is right now…get Holland on the line and see the most beneficial package we could acquire by trading Fedotov’s rights!
He’s not going to suit up for us so it’s an option for repossession of a pick…possibility of a higher one!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I saw that tweet yesterday, and I rolled my eyes at it, but one thing I thought about given all the reverence that’s held to Mr. Snider, the circumstances being what they are, he would have seen this as unacceptable. Not just from the league or the IIHF or whoever else, but the Flyers at the very least. And not that I expect Fedotov to show up here tomorrow, the fact that the Flyers and a player had a mutual agreement and desire to have him be here, the Flyers have done absolutely nothing to stand up for themselves. Everyone on all sides can believe what they will and view it as facts, but Mr. Snider would’ve rattled as many cages as he had to until he at least was placated, much less got his way because his view would’ve been that a player was stolen from this, and that didn’t happen to anybody else that I can recall.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I saw that tweet yesterday, and I rolled my eyes at it, but one thing I thought about given all the reverence that’s held to Mr. Snider, the circumstances being what they are, he would have seen this as unacceptable. Not just from the league or the IIHF or whoever else, but the Flyers at the very least. And not that I expect Fedotov to show up here tomorrow, the fact that the Flyers and a player had a mutual agreement and desire to have him be here, the Flyers have done absolutely nothing to stand up for themselves. Everyone on all sides can believe what they will and view it as facts, but Mr. Snider would’ve rattled as many cages as he had to until he at least was placated, much less got his way because his view would’ve been that a player was stolen from this, and that didn’t happen to anybody else that I can recall.
I can’t agree more with this post. That the Flyers haven’t raised Holy Hell about this situation illustrates what a hollow organization they have become. No way Snider would have tolerated this.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can’t agree more with this post. That the Flyers haven’t raised Holy Hell about this situation illustrates what a hollow organization they have become. No way Snider would have tolerated this.
They’ve always said they can’t say anything about it but it’s not stopping anyone else.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Spot on. This is the world we live in now

Reactions: Cody Webster

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
I don’t believe Ed Snider would have rattled cages that would put a person or his family’s lives in danger. What Snider would have done is not draft anyone from Russia. A policy I completely agree with.

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
Comcast getting sanctioned by the US Govt for shady suitcases full of rubles, gaining us that human growth hormone of a goalie, would be my preferred timeline

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t believe Ed Snider would have rattled cages that would put a person or his family’s lives in danger. What Snider would have done is not draft anyone from Russia. A policy I completely agree with.
That’s not true at all.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

I don't mean that as an attack on you or Snider, because this situation is clearly hypothetical. The actions from the person you’ve described quite frankly sound like a crybaby to me.

What's clear is that Snider stood up for his team; there's countless examples of that. That's why fans adore him the way they do. He cared deeply. But, this isn't solely a hockey-related issue. There are significant factors external to the hockey world that are involved in this situation, and those have to be weighed.

By all accounts, Snider had great business acumen. A large portion of business operations is understanding relationships and predicting the outcomes of certain actions based on those relationships. Getting loud, rattling cages etc., isn't going to get the Flyers what they want, and that action caries unpredictable outcomes that may be significant. Fedotov isn't leaving Russia, and the Flyers can't do anything about it. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I believe that the reason that you haven't heard anything from the Flyers right now is because they have no recourse to get what they want, and the NHL isn't going to give them some type of compensation, either. Now, I fully would expect that Snider be making a scene behind closed doors, but I also expect that the Flyers are doing that as well.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Flyers were the first team to have a dedicated scout for Europe... Aggie Kukulowicz... who spoke Russian and was there a lot.
Flyers were the first team to draft anyone from the Soviet Union. (Viktors Hatuļevs in 1975)
Had a lot of Soviet connections before ANY other NHL team... Shero took regular trips behind the Iron Curtain and some of his tactics were so far ahead of the rest of the NHL because he had taken them from the Soviet school... additionally both his parents were Russian.
One of the first teams to have several Soviet regulars playing at same time. (Lomakin, Butsayev and Yushkevich... Devils and Nordiques were only teams "earlier" with 3+ regulars icing at same time.)
Pre-lockout had drafted, if I remember correctly, more Soviets than all but 2 other teams.
One of his last, known, influences directly on personnel was to push to draft Fedotov aha.

Funnily enough Ed Snider's family actually came to the USA from Russia... and while disliked the Soviet Union had nothing against the people. In fact he was on record as saying that the Flyers would happily draft, sign and play Soviet defectors as early as the 80s! Which his and the teams actions backed up.

So I doubt Snider would have done such a thing.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Decision of the Independent IIHF Disciplinary Board / Appeals submitted by Ivan Fedotov and CSKA Hockey Club

The independent IIHF Disciplinary Board has dismissed the appeals submitted by Ivan Fedotov and the Professional Hockey Club (“CSKA”) against IIHF’s decision to implement sanctions on Mr. Fedotov for the breach of his National Hockey League (“NHL”) Standard Player Contract (“SPC”) with the Philadelphia Flyers and on CSKA for inducing Mr. Fedotov to breach his SPC with the NHL when he signed with CSKA for the 2023/2024 and 2024/2025 season.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad