Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)| 3/29 CSKA contract terminated, may join Flyers soon, new contract 4/23 2x3.25M

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Yep, now the KHL will just buy some popcorn manufacturer's stocks and will wait until the last moment to make their statement - they will make like billions on that lol.
sucks for ivan, i can understand philly not backing down but this just opens the door for so much extra bullshit later, hopefully the KHL and RIHF are able to talk CSKA down somehow, I dont think theyll wait too long tho because if they want back at the international table they gotta work with IIHF. I think this goes alot better if Danny JFKs a phone call to the management at CSKA moscow and they can figure it all out. fkn bribe them danny, money talks you got $3 mill cap space

loan them Hart...
Hockey Canada releases a report Friday and Hart gets suspended, they could switch places by next monday, its all tied up in a neat little bow lol

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
sucks for ivan, i can understand philly not backing down but this just opens the door for so much extra bullshit later, hopefully the KHL and RIHF are able to talk CSKA down somehow, I dont think theyll wait too long tho because if they want back at the international table they gotta work with IIHF. I think this goes alot better if Danny JFKs a phone call to the management at CSKA moscow and they can figure it all out. fkn bribe them danny, money talks you got $3 mill cap space
KHL doesn't care much about the international table, the RIHF does, so their interests here might not match, particularly if the KHL guys are fascinated by the idea of gaining some more independence from the RIHF and IIHF.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
KHL doesn't care much about the international table, the RIHF does, so their interests here might not match, particularly if the KHL guys are fascinated by the idea of gaining some more independence from the RIHF and IIHF.
fair point lol KHL probably doesnt like it anymore than NHL owners when players compete outside the team's purview and insurance coverage. and i bet theres lots of people that like the idea of russian players never leaving for the NHL. gonna be a wild couple weeks now

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
fair point lol KHL probably doesnt like it anymore than NHL owners when players compete outside the team's purview and insurance coverage. and i bet theres lots of people that like the idea of russian players never leaving for the NHL. gonna be a wild couple weeks now
There are a lot of different ideas there in the Russian hockey circles about how the hockey stuff should be in the times like these, but as for "russian players never leaving for the NHL" stuff it is interfering with the KHL salary cap stuff, as you need to pay them more in that case, so that concept isn't discussed much, yet the KHL independence movement guys are much more vocal and noticeable.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
What it does is open the door for the players that do want to play in the NHL (which is most of their top tier stars) to ditch KHL contracts citing this as precedent. "The NHL disagrees with the contract stipulations of XXX team for XXX player and will proceed as though they are part of the NHL club."

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
What it does is open the door for the players that do want to play in the NHL (which is most of their top tier stars) to ditch KHL contracts citing this as precedent. "The NHL disagrees with the contract stipulations of XXX team for XXX player and will proceed as though they are part of the NHL club."
Exactly. Great politicking by the Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yep. Once the KHL takes the stance they can ignore NHL contracts, that sets a precedent for the NHL to encourage top players to break their contracts and come over - and the KHL can't compete for the potential money that a Michkov can make after 3-4 years in the NHL (even the starting NHL ELC salaries match the top KHL salaries).

And top Russian players can look at Fedotov and see how a KHL owner with political connections can force them to stay in Russia and lose out on tens of millions down the road. So this would encourage them to take "vacations" to countries with connecting flights (like Istanbul).

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Yep. Once the KHL takes the stance they can ignore NHL contracts, that sets a precedent for the NHL to encourage top players to break their contracts and come over - and the KHL can't compete for the potential money that a Michkov can make after 3-4 years in the NHL (even the starting NHL ELC salaries match the top KHL salaries).

And top Russian players can look at Fedotov and see how a KHL owner with political connections can force them to stay in Russia and lose out on tens of millions down the road. So this would encourage them to take "vacations" to countries with connecting flights (like Istanbul).
Im worried Russia locks itself out of the international community and theres no movement at all. Theyve got handfuls of players in the KHL that arent from russia who may jump ship but theyre usually in Russia because they didnt get NHL offers. If this is the norm now and Russia is going back to red army standards they wont let anyone in or out regardless of contracts. we'll be back to smuggling Malkin out of Russia through Finland only this time theres no KHL teams outside of Russia or Belarus except Kun Lun who is friendly to Russia, and if theyre not competing internationally itll be alot harder to go AWOL. Thats the bigger implications here imo

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

The question is: Would NHL teams have the guts to actually fight back and try to poach KHL talent?

From a reactive and entertainment perspective, I hope so. But I'm just expecting for CSKA to steal Fedotov, get wrist slapped with sanctions, and this gets mostly forgotten about.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The question is: Would NHL teams have the guts to actually fight back and try to poach KHL talent?

From a reactive and entertainment perspective, I hope so. But I'm just expecting for CSKA to steal Fedotov, get wrist slapped with sanctions, and this gets mostly forgotten about.
They'll ignore it and toss a compensatory 2030 7th to the Flyers

Reactions: Redpath

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Looks like Fedotov is playing for CSKA right now in a regular season game.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

Various blurbs from today:

- Bill Daly reiterated that the NHL is still going to comply with KHL contracts

- CSKA President Igor Esmantovich: "All issues with Philadelphia were discussed orally. We called up the general manager, tried to find common ground. It got to the point that we had to make our own decision."

- CSKA's opponent today will not demand a forfeit due to Fedotov playing

- The IIHF is fining the Russian Hockey Federation for 5,000 francs. (That will show them)

And a fun Twitter thread about what might happen next

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad