Prospect Info: Round 7, 206th Overall - Owen McLaughlin (F) - USNTDP -- 6'0", 165 pounds

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They offered him a contract which would make him ineligible for college hockey if he signs.
It's a strange one. He just turned 19. He is supposed to be going to UND, unless he's decided to switch the CHL or, less likely, AHL. A bona fide offer wasn't necessary if he is going to college.

Reserve List FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

UND hockey posted this on May 22, so I am confused. They thought he was coming, but that might have changed June 1.

Here's what Bill said:
HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Quick Hits: 2020 and 2021 Draftees, Coach Search, TIFH

Owen McLaughlin (7/206) C/W: As with Samson, McLaughlin has an ELC offer from the Flyers. If he were to sign it now, McLaughlin would forfeit his amateur status and NCAA eligibility. The Chester County native is slated to be an incoming freshman at North Dakota in 2022-23. Alternatively, if he signs a contract with the Flyers, the deal could slide in 2022-23 while on loan to a major junior team in Canada. He's not pro ready but McLaughlin has scored at every level he's played and is coming off an encouraging USHL season for Sioux City (28 goals, 72 points in 62 games). His overall game needs refinement along with adding muscle and improving his skating. However, the belief is that added muscle/explosiveness will naturally help him along in his skating.

Mmmm, maybe the Flyers are trying to get him to the CHL? How are his grades? Enjoy London, kid!

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It's a really unfortunate state of affairs when we just assume it's a given that the team is going to wreck our prospects.
I miss the late 90's/ early oughts so much. :confused:

I'm not sure a prospect exists I wouldn't be confident the Flyers would ruin given enough time. Would probably take a McDavid level generational talent for me to doubt it. Konecny, Provorov, and Ghost were all high draft picks with obvious tools or started off their careers with huge bangs and it didn't help any of them in the long-run (while they were with the Flyers, in Ghost's case).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sure a prospect exists I wouldn't be confident the Flyers would ruin given enough time. Would probably take a McDavid level generational talent for me to doubt it. Konecny, Provorov, and Ghost were all high draft picks with obvious tools or started off their careers with huge bangs and it didn't help any of them in the long-run (while they were with the Flyers, in Ghost's case).
Ghost blew out his knee, then his groin, then scoped both knees. That's gonna take a toll.
TK is fine, he had a bad shooting season, otherwise he was solid, for a #24 pick he's had a good career so far.
Provorov has been up and down, he's a "flop" only relative to very high expectations, he's still a solid defenseman playing 25 minutes a night against top competition - and it hasn't helped him the last two seasons playing with Braun as his primary partner.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It only gets worse with Tortorella
Why would it get worse with Torts?
There's a long list of prospects who blossomed under his tutelage.
Atkinson was a 5'8 176 lb 6th rd pick who became a top six forward, and it wasn't due to his defensive prowess.

Reactions: SanBlom

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
McLaughlin looked good last night in UND's opener. He looks to be a good college player. I think he's ridiculous value for a 7th rounder. One that might actually make it to some degree.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
First NCAA goal in his 25th game.

That article says it was actually 36 goalless games including his previous season in the USHL.

Fletcher is high on this guy, remember this news release from this past summer saying he was offered an ELC (same time as Ethan Samson)? Can’t recall seeing a news release from any team telling us they have “bona fide offers” for two unsigned draft picks?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
McLaughlin is 5th in scoring among ND forwards, though 3 D-men have scored more.
He was 6'0 161 when drafted, which is really skinny.

Avon, who was signed as a FA that summer after missing the OHL season due to COVID, is probably the better prospect.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Gets PP time too.

Arguably their best pick in that draft. :laugh:

I still think he's a pretty decent prospect for where he was picked, but probably going to be at least a 3 year college guy and not ready for pro hockey next year like they apparently thought in the summer.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Who the hell would make an argument that Owen McLaughlin is a better prospect than Kolosov.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00