Prospect Info: Round 7, 206th Overall - Owen McLaughlin (F) - USNTDP -- 6'0", 165 pounds

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
March birthday, the later picks were all late birthdays (after January), gambling on upside coming off season when they didn't have time to expose any development?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Flyers draft Spring City native McLaughlin in 7th round

24-mclaughlin,-owen-(11)-ep.jpg

The Philadelphia Flyers didn’t have to look too far for their seventh-round pick in the NHL Entry Draft Saturday.

Spring City native and The Hill School product Owen McLaughlin was selected with the 206th overall pick by the hometown Flyers.

The 18-year-old Chester County native began his hockey career with the Valley Forge Minutemen before playing at The Hill School. He moved to Mount St. Charles Academy in Rhode Island in 2020-21 and scored 54 points (16 goals, 38 assists) over 33 games last season.

The 6-0, 165-pound center is scheduled to play in the USHL for the Sioux City Musketeers next year before going to Penn State in 2022-23.

McLaughlin learned he had been drafted by the Flyers while he was flying to Iowa for a Sioux City preseason camp.

“Being a Philly kid, it was thrilling,” McLaughlin said Saturday, via Flyers senior director of communications Zack Hill. “I was on a plane when I found out, so it was a pretty nerve-racking plane ride. But to hear Philly took me and is taking a chance on me, it’s super exciting.”

A part of the U.S. National Development Team, McLaughlin has played in 11 games with the juniors and under 18 teams.

McLaughlin is seen is a long-term prospect by the Flyers.

“Talented kid at the high school level,” Flyers assistant general manager Brent Flahr said Saturday. “Obviously, he’s going to have a little bit longer path, but a highly skilled kid at that level. He’s going to have to put on some weight and get stronger. I know Guy Gadowsky at Penn State very well and I know guys, when they come out of there, are bigger and stronger. He’s going to a good place and obviously he’s close by here. We’re excited to see where he can get to.”​

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Committed to North Dakota this week. Apparently he rose quickly as a prospect in the USHL this fall. If he had gone undrafted last year, would be taken much higher this year.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Though he's probably behind Avon as a Flyers prospect right now.
Both were good gambles, frames that can fill out, Avon is a good skater and McLaughlin is decent from all reports.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"McLaughlin racked up 10 points in his first seven USHL games, and multiple scouts told the Herald that if McLaughlin went undrafted last summer — he was 19 picks away from doing so — he would have been a second- or third-round pick this upcoming year."

"He has extremely high offensive awareness," Sioux City coach Luke Strand said. "I think there's just a really high ceiling to what he becomes. The highest level he's played is right now (in the USHL). The exciting part is the next steps of his growth. We're a third of the way through the season and he's better than a point-per game guy. I don't see that slowing down."

Flyers pick Owen McLaughlin commits to UND | The Rink Live

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
McLaughlin committed to UND, with Sioux City linemate and current draft prospect Dylan James. TNH preview mentions Owen's setups 3x as elements of James' success. Helped lead them to the championship.

Found a couple interesting items.

Flyers pick Owen McLaughlin commits to UND
Flyers Prospect Profile: Owen McLaughlin

Owen McLaughlin (Updated 1/15/22) - Neutral Zone - Men's

Good to have something to look forward to. Between him and JR Avon, hopefully we get one smaller, fast, skilled C man out of it.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They offered him a contract which would make him ineligible for college hockey if he signs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad