Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick #174: Gavin Hain, C, USNTDP --> North Dakota

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I've seen Hain a lot for US u18s. He was the #1 pick in the USHL draft. He's very skilled puck handling; one of softest hands on his team. He's very reminiscent of Jake Wise. Except worse. I never found him very impactful in games, often he was more in the middle 6/PP2, but he just never really impressed me besides looking superficially skilled. His hockey sense didn't strike me as that high. Just another really meh pick to me, though he's not a slug.

I like how aggressive they were with the program and USA hockey -- and 3/4 were good -- but I have seen him like 20 times and almost never gave him a second thought in any standout way. He's a late pick and not bad value but still. Day 2 has been rough in my eyes.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
How much playing time did he get for the US team? Seems like he'd be buried a bit with all the high-end talent they had.

He still put up more points than Weiss and Pivonka, and had good bantam and HS numbers. Played for the USA U18 at the WJC-18 and Hlinka. Drafted first overall in the USHL draft.

There are some things to like there for a 6th rd. pick.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Dave Hakstol’s Philadelphia Flyers picked a player from his old program Saturday when they drafted Gavin Hain in the sixth round.

Brad Berry UND Head Coach said he and Hakstol never discussed Hain, but “Dave is pretty well aware of our program, has a pretty good pulse of our recruits coming in, knows what our culture is all about here, and any time you can take a player from our culture and put it into his culture, it’s a seamless transition.”

Hain, a 5-foot-11, 194-pound forward from Grand Rapids, Minn., played for the U.S. Under-18 team last season.
“He’s a worker,” Berry said. “He’s a guy who is very, very responsible. He stays above the puck all the time. He has good offensive instincts, but he plays a heavy, hard game away from the puck. He’s reliable on the ice in all situations. Those are the guys you like to work with.

“He’s coming into the program as a true freshman, so it will be a little bit of a jump for him along with other young guys. There will be a transition, but he’ll get acclimated to our level of play.”

Dave Hakstol's Philadelphia Flyers draft UND incoming freshman...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Brad Berry UND Head Coach said he and Hakstol never discussed Hain, but “Dave is pretty well aware of our program, has a pretty good pulse of our recruits coming in, knows what our culture is all about here, and any time you can take a player from our culture and put it into his culture, it’s a seamless transition.”

101614_chris-vanelvelde_600.jpg

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Darn, I had no idea Michal Pivoňka had a draft eligible son... Shame he is US nationality :(

I was actually a fan of Jake Pivonka for the USA u18 team. Figured he'd go in the 4th or something (and he did to the NYI), but he was the best depth prospect on that team past the top 6 players. Incredibly smart, strong on the puck, good down low, sneaky good shot, some puck skills. He really looks like a high floor 4C type with real NHL potential. I'd bet on him having a decent career. Maybe he can show more in a bigger role in college.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
My guess is he's closer to Salinitri than Laczynski/Lycksell for a 6th rounder but hope he exceeds expectations.......but listening to his interviews and looking at his hair isn't helping. I'm sorry.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Posted this in the prospects forum, meant to post it here:

“Huge relief,” Hain said. “Waiting there, you don’t know when it’s going to happen and it finally does. I mean, with Philadelphia, there’s not a better place I could think of to go to.
“So it’s awesome being able to go down there and meet all the upstairs people and the scouts down on the floor. Being able to put the jersey on is a sigh of relief and there was a lot of excitement.”

He also received a text from one of his NTDP teammates, Joel Farabee, a left wing who the Flyers drafted in the first round (14th overall).
“Right after it happened, he texted me ‘I’d like to see you in Philly’ because the next day we went to the development camp,” Hain said. “So we texted a little bit and the next day we saw each other, so it was pretty cool.”
NHL Entry Draft waiting game has sweet payoff for USA Hockey NTDP alum Hain

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Haven’t heard much about Hain since he was drafted, it’s been two seasons so far in North Dakota and Hain hasn’t impressed at all as he is probably the least talked about prospect the Flyers have on their reserve list.
Hain still has two more seasons to improve his game at UND.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad