Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 158: Cooper Marody, RW, Sioux Falls (USHL) --> Michigan (B1G)

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
He was one of the few guys I seriously wanted in the later rounds. I got extremely excited when I saw that we picked him. He's a really exciting guy and he has a lot of potential to turn into one of the steals in the draft. Michigan will definitely be a test for him though and whether he fails or succeeds there should be where we are able to tell if he can amount to anything at a higher level.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
I'm very intrigued with him. It will be interesting to see how he develops. Could develop to be quite the steal. Hextalls 2 drafts have been outstanding.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I understand he is just a scouting report, just trying to point out that a 6th round pick has some value. It's not just a load of crap. Yes percentage of actual successfully hitting is low but so is any pick outside of the top 50 or so each year. The more picks the more chance to hit.

I would agree with this if you said that a sixth round pick COULD HAVE some value rather than HAS value. This guy may not ever step on the even AHL ice. The scouting reports about him are nice, but he still has a miniscule chance of ever sniffing the NHL, let alone becoming a regular. Again, no problem trading back in the 4th and picking up that extra 6th. Certainly no problem with this pick. But you can't really be championing any of these draft picks as being anything more than "could bes" at this point (outside of Provorov and other guys who appear as "sure things" right from the get-go). Good pick. Glad we picked up that 6th next year, but Marody has the same value as the guy picked before and after him at this point, as well as the pick itself next year (i.e., very little).

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I would agree with this if you said that a sixth round pick COULD HAVE some value rather than HAS value. This guy may not ever step on the even AHL ice. The scouting reports about him are nice, but he still has a miniscule chance of ever sniffing the NHL, let alone becoming a regular. Again, no problem trading back in the 4th and picking up that extra 6th. Certainly no problem with this pick. But you can't really be championing any of these draft picks as being anything more than "could bes" at this point (outside of Provorov and other guys who appear as "sure things" right from the get-go). Good pick. Glad we picked up that 6th next year, but Marody has the same value as the guy picked before and after him at this point, as well as the pick itself next year (i.e., very little).

Read just the bolded parts and you are saying that a 6th round pick as value. You claim that it could have value and then turn around and say it has value.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
Here's the thing with this. I believe that Boeser and Connor were more attractive due to their specific skill sets and strengths. But overall, the USHL isn't viewed as anything too special. NHL teams tend to put their scouts in the CHL and Sweden and leagues like that because they are overall better places to find prospects. There are exceptions but you can still find gems from the USHL and I definitely believe in Marody and am extremely hopeful that he is one of those gems. I believe that if a USHL guy can go to Michigan to play hockey, he definitely has a chance to turn into something at the pro level. In my opinion, if you see the guys taking steps up to the next level, there is some potential in that guy.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Here's the thing with this. I believe that Boeser and Connor were more attractive due to their specific skill sets and strengths. But overall, the USHL isn't viewed as anything too special. NHL teams tend to put their scouts in the CHL and Sweden and leagues like that because they are overall better places to find prospects. There are exceptions but you can still find gems from the USHL and I definitely believe in Marody and am extremely hopeful that he is one of those gems. I believe that if a USHL guy can go to Michigan to play hockey, he definitely has a chance to turn into something at the pro level. In my opinion, if you see the guys taking steps up to the next level, there is some potential in that guy.

I think the USHL is really starting to become a respected junior league. You are seeing more European's coming over and joining it. This past draft, the USHL tied the amount of players drafted from the OHL as the most in the NHL draft. That is very impressive and showing that the USHL really is starting to become a very good junior league.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Connor sliding to 17 tells me the USHL isn't as respected as some other leagues.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Whether you think its a good league or not, its still a tough league to score in. His numbers are really good for a 1st time draft eligible. There's a reason he dropped to the 6th round, but its worth a shot.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think the USHL is really starting to become a respected junior league. You are seeing more European's coming over and joining it. This past draft, the USHL tied the amount of players drafted from the OHL as the most in the NHL draft. That is very impressive and showing that the USHL really is starting to become a very good junior league.

I think is has been close to as good as the CHL leagues for 'draft eligible' talent for some time now.

What sets the CHL apart is the post draft players and overeagers are far better so push the quality of the league up slightly.

USHL has always been a pretty good place to get 'steals', and has a pretty good record of NHL player production... and though the level is not too far below the CHL the level of respect it commanded for a long time was tiny compared.

The real strengths of the league is wingers... the crop of wingers currently in the NHL from the USHL competes with any of the junior leagues.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Read just the bolded parts and you are saying that a 6th round pick as value. You claim that it could have value and then turn around and say it has value.

Huh? I think you misunderstood what was going on. A poster was essentially saying that getting Cooper Marody represented some sort of value other than a "lousy" sixth round pick.

What I was saying is that Cooper Marody = a 6th round pick. Nothing more, nothing less. There's a lot to be excited about, but Cooper Marody is nothing more than a scouting report. It still is just a "lousy" sixth round pick. In four years or so we may be heralding this as a steal of a deal, but it is far, far, far, more likely that he's a nobody.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The key with Marody isn't whether he's a 6th rd pick, but the kind of pick. In the past, Flyers loaded up on guys with marginal upside late in the draft, this year they took two solid 4th line prospects in the 4th round (i.e., limited upside but higher probability of success) and two "fliers" in the 5th and 6th round. Marody is probably 5 years away from the NHL if ever, but he has a lot of upside if he develops the skills to go with his skating and his body fills out.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The key with Marody isn't whether he's a 6th rd pick, but the kind of pick. In the past, Flyers loaded up on guys with marginal upside late in the draft, this year they took two solid 4th line prospects in the 4th round (i.e., limited upside but higher probability of success) and two "fliers" in the 5th and 6th round. Marody is probably 5 years away from the NHL if ever, but he has a lot of upside if he develops the skills to go with his skating and his body fills out.

Good point. If he keeps developing, he could end up being a skilled, fast winger ready for the NHL in a few years. Better upside than someone like Mathers.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Marody is definitely intriguing prospect, seems like a very good late pick for us.

University of Michigan is stacked this year, their team includes players like Kyle Connor, Zach Werenski, J.T. Compher or Tyler Motte. Marody will be surrounded by a great group of talent there, good for him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Marody is definitely intriguing prospect, seems like a very good late pick for us.

University of Michigan is stacked this year, their team includes players like Kyle Connor, Zach Werenski, J.T. Compher or Tyler Motte. Marody will be surrounded by a great group of talent there, good for him.

Still can't believe Boston decided they liked DeBrusk and Sensyshyn over Connor, Barzal, Konecny, etc. Unreal. :amazed:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Marody is playing at C for Michigan as well... that can only be good really. Shows not only versatility, but teams generally want their better players through the middle.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i can see debrusk its sensyshyn that is the head scratcher. They could've gotten him with their carlo pick.

DeBrusk is a guy I would have liked with the Chicago pick if we didn't trade up for Konecny but taking him over Connor and Barzal is just absurd.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I quietly have high expectations for Marody, higher than I've probably ever had for a 6th rounder :laugh: Seems to be a pretty good player potentially. Hopefully a future bottom 6er

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad