Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 158: Cooper Marody, RW, Sioux Falls (USHL) --> Michigan (B1G)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
2015+NHL+Draft+Rounds+2+7+hTbFMZFDeaLl.jpg

2015+NHL+Draft+Rounds+2+7+AJAChqaiOKCl.jpg

Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America

----------------
From NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=99771&sort=lastName&year=2015

• Final Rank (North American skaters): 53
  • Midterm Rank (North American skaters) : 63
  • Position: Center
  • Shoots: Right
  • Height: 6' 0"
  • Weight: 173
  • Born: December 20, 1996
  • Born in: Brighton, MI, USA
  • Drafted: 2015: PHI (6th Round / 158th Overall) Philadelphia Flyers

--------------
http://www.delcotimes.com/sports/20150627/konecny-gets-award-named-for-former-flyers-coach

Then there’s Cooper Marody, who hails from Brighton, Mich., will play for the Wolverines and has already spent two-plus years bouncing about the USHL for three different teams.

He recalled playing at the bantam level, and “being the worst player on my team.” He remembers going into high school “and freshman year I got cut from the varsity.” He remembers trying out for the USHL “and I was a ninth-round draft pick of Green Bay.”

Two USHL teams later, it’s been an adventure for Marody, who last season scored 20 goals and 49 points in 38 games for Sioux Falls after being traded there, earning a college scholarship along the way.

And not everyone who gets cut from their high school varsity squad becomes an NHL draft pick.

“Hey, we love that,” Hextall said. “A kid that showed progress like that, a kid that continues to get better; that’s why sometimes you draft the kid with a fuzzy face. You know there’s upside and they’re essentially young bodies and immature.”

-------------------------

From June 2015:

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2015/6/22/8826055/nhl-draft-preview-cooper-marody

The Rundown

Marody is the kind of player scouts and fans love to watch play. He excels as a creative offensive talent with the ability to make that "wow play," as well as possessing above average speed and a penchant for being in the right place.

Sioux Falls coach Cary Eades described his game in a similar way to Mick Garry of the Argus Leader:

"He's very calm, and that's part of his deception," Eades said. "A lot of guys panic with the puck and make quick plays but he can hold it for that instant longer and wait for things to open up. He doesn't need much of a window."

He has also earned a reputation as a high energy, never quit on the play guy.

After a solid rookie season with Muskegon where he scored nine goals and tallied 21 assists, Marody started his second season slow finding the net only twice in fourteen games.

That's when Marody took a giant leap forward. After being sent to Sioux Falls he rocketed up the leader board finishing with 20 goals, 29 assists and tied for 10th in league scoring.

NHL Draft Projection

Marody has been a guy scouts have had a high opinion of for almost a year now. Listed as a "B" rated prospect in Central Scouting's Preliminary Rankings, Marody used an outstanding second half to push his stock solidly into the third round. If a team is willing to reach, he could end up at the tail end of the second.

---------------------------
From June 2015:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...dy-scouting-report-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Speed is the number one asset Marody brings to the table. Marody is a blazing skater that can stretch the ice and put pressure on the opposing defense. In the offensive zone, he's a smart, patient player that isn't afraid to hold the puck on his stick and wait for a play to develop.

The biggest concern with Marody is a lack of strength. He put on about 15 lbs. of muscle last summer, but that still only got him to about 177 lbs. If he can continue to add a little more mass without sacrificing his terrific speed, he would be more effective on the defensive end of the ice, and potentially a better shooter/goal-scorer rather than a pass-first playmaker.

-----------------------------------

From April 2015:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...5/04/23/marody-perfect-fit-stampede/26279121/

The slick stuff has been a staple since that first game. Marody, at 6-feet and 177 pounds is not yet a bruiser, but he's delivering big-time in the instinct department.

"He's very calm, and that's part of his deception," Eades said. "A lot of guys panic with the puck and make quick plays but he can hold it for that instant longer and wait for things to open up. He doesn't need much of a window."

The Brighton, Mich., native had a total of nine points in 14 games with Muskegon, his original team this year, then put up 20 goals and 29 assists in his 38 regular-season games with the Stampede, who won 25 of their last 35.

There were a lot of factors involved in the Stampede's turnaround, which continues with the start of the Western Conference finals on Friday night against Tri-City, but there's no denying they were one kind of team when Marody was playing for Muskegon and an entirely different kind of team when he moved on to Sioux Falls.

"I requested a trade – I was looking for a new start," said Marody, who is projected as a late second-round pick in the 2015 NHL draft according to NHL.com. "I was lucky enough to end up in Sioux Falls. Since I got here, it's been nothing but the best. Coach Eades welcomed me in very quickly and so did my teammates, so I felt comfortable right away."

---------------------------

According to one source, the last name is pronounced: Mah-ROE-dee

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
From what I've heard, this is a good pick. Haven't seen him myself, but I trust the people who told me he's an impressive player. I'm excited about this one.

This pick reminds me of the Friedman pick.

From HP Black Book:

After an early season trade from Muskegon to Sioux Falls, Marody really turned it on and moved along at over a point per game pace for the Stampede and in turn made a consistent rise on the draft board throughout the year. Playing on the Stampede’s first line with impressive 2016 eligible Kieffer Bellows and 2014 Maple Leafs draft pick Dakota Joshua, Marody has been able to showcase his playmaking abilities.

Marody, a Michigan commit, sees the ice very well. He’s a really smart player. Sees passing lanes open up and takes them. It was nice to see his confidence grow throughout the year, especially after he joined Sioux Falls. He started taking more shots and started scoring more goals to go along with his assists.
Rising consistently up the draft board all year, Marody made a good push to get drafted in the middle rounds this year. His high hockey IQ matched with his great playmaking skills make him a guy that has a lot of potential if he continues to develop at the consistent rate he has through his two years in the USHL.

This is my favorite pick of the day.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What, we're taking Europeans and undersized skaters instead of Canadian guys with size, heart and grit? What's the world coming to?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Really nice...

If he was in the CHL he would have gone top 100. USHL players are still getting underrated when in terms of transfer of production from USHL to AHL and NHL there is not much difference between CHL and USHL.

Also, top 10 2015 draft eligable USHL PPG producers:

Jack Roslovic: 1.52 PPG
Kyle Connor: 1.43 PPG
Jeremy Bracco: 1.33 PPG
Christian Fischer: 1.20 PPG
Brock Boeser: 1.19 PPG
Cooper Marody: 1.12 PPG
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson: 1.06 PPG
Thomas Novak: 1.04 PPG
Erik Foley: 0.98 PPG
Jordan Greenway: 0.91 PPG

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
And just earlier today someone in the main draft thread asked why the Flyers traded down in the 4th for just a lousy 6th round pick next season?

Eh, this pick looks good, and I'm psyched on it, but it isn't anything solid yet. That 6th next year is just a lousy 6th. No problem with the trade and certainly no problem with this pick, but he's just a scouting report at this point.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Eh, this pick looks good, and I'm psyched on it, but it isn't anything solid yet. That 6th next year is just a lousy 6th. No problem with the trade and certainly no problem with this pick, but he's just a scouting report at this point.

I understand he is just a scouting report, just trying to point out that a 6th round pick has some value. It's not just a load of crap. Yes percentage of actual successfully hitting is low but so is any pick outside of the top 50 or so each year. The more picks the more chance to hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad