Draft Round 5 #152: New York Rangers Select D Rasmus Larsson (Västerås IK J20/Sweden)

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
What do you expect from a 5th rounder?

i dont, i couldn't care less. i just found the writeup funny.

am curious why we insist on almost exclusively drafting big and slow throughout the draft given skating is the name of the game these days, but not like odds are great here someone with that skillset hits either.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's no point and it's not nice to slam later round players until you at least start following their post draft progress. People didn't like the Laba (who's he?) pick either and he had a nice season for Colorado College.

The way I look at it is we didn't f*** up our 23 pick. I wouldn't have liked for instance the Sale pick at 20, really wouldn't have liked the Stramel pick at 21 though I could see some rationale for either in the 2nd round. I like Easton Cowan as a prospect also but not as a 1st rounder and probably not as a 2nd rounder. To me those teams kind of f***ed it up. We didn't. Just for that I'm kind of pleased. I'm not pleased that we had to wait until 90 for our next pick but that's another story.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
my guess he gets a look in AHL this season
does that he only turns 19 this year affect that option?
and that would (obvi) mean he could not later attend NMU...

saw this at EP:
"Drafted 2023, 1 #16 overall by Green Bay Gamblers in the USHL Entry Draft"
he could play USHL for this season, then as planned NMU ...

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
does that he only turns 19 this year affect that option?
and that would (obvi) mean he could not later attend NMU...

saw this at EP:
"Drafted 2023, 1 #16 overall by Green Bay Gamblers in the USHL Entry Draft"
he could play USHL for this season, then as planned NMU ...

sounds like a wasted pick to me.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
CHL (Major Junior) held their Import Drfat this week
Thought Larsson might have been considered, but wasn't maybe as he's already 19

could play USHL for a season, before entering NMU, or stay in Sweden
Think I heard he was gonna play in the USHL, might’ve been on a pod with Kournianos

Reactions: egelband

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Have any overaged draftees ever panned out for the Rangers? I feel like they have historically been a waste of a pick but I am not certain. I'd even extend that thought to how many overage draftees have panned out for the entire NHL

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Have any overaged draftees ever panned out for the Rangers? I feel like they have historically been a waste of a pick but I am not certain. I'd even extend that thought to how many overage draftees have panned out for the entire NHL
Dale Weise and Ryan Callahan were both over-agers.

Undrafted players have become every NHL players, so why shouldn't a kid drafted at age 19 or 20?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Carl Hagelin (19)
Marek Židlický (24)*
Dale Weise (20)
Ryan Callahan (19)
Dominic Moore (20)
Petr Průcha (20)
Nate Guenin (19)

*Good NHLer, just not for us unfortunately

If you identify a 19- or 20-year old that has taken the steps you hope an 18 year old to take, you can definitely have success going with a 2nd or 3rd year eligible draftee. Rasmus Larsson could be one of those guys. He's had a strong season in his D+1, so I am not overly upset with this pick. Dylan Roobroeck though, that's a different story. That pick I don't understand.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
IMHO i don't think the distaste for second-year eligible draftees holds water
It presumes that the scouting/draft evaluation system is more perfect than it really is.
After about the top 50, its more of a crapshoot than the insiders and pundits would easily admit

If a second-year-eligible's season earns the confidence of a scout, i don't see it as any riskier than any other pick
With 18 year old's, you are guessing their arc, with a second year eligible player you have a bit more data

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IMHO i don't think the distaste for second-year eligible draftees holds water
it presumes that the scouting/draft evaluation system is more perfect than it really is.
after about the top 50, its more of a crapshoot than the insiders and pundits would easily admit

If a second-year-eligible's season earns the confidence of a scout, i don't see it as any riskier than any other pick
with 18 year old's you are guessing their arc, with a second year eligible player you have a bit more data
Yeah and when you get to rounds 6 and 7, and sometimes even earlier, there is a large pool of guys that could be taken at any time. The difference between a guy who goes at the end of the sixth, and a guy who goes undrafted--many years it's totally negligible.

So those guys that go undrafted their first time eligible, for many of them it was basically by the flip of a coin (not literally). If their next season shows improvement, maybe they go in the sixth or seventh their second time. If they show a lot of improvement, they could even climb further, like our guy Larsson here.

Some guys peak early. I remember Shane McColgan, another guy we picked in the fifth who was once much more highly regarded, he was somehow a less impressive player at 19 than he was at 16. Some guys are late bloomers. If you see a guy who was passed over once but think he's taken a big step developmentally, in the later rounds I think it's worth a shot.

We just did the same with Laba and Mancini and I think early returns on both are positive.

Reactions: cwede and NYR Viper

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Dale Weise, though it wasn't with NYR.

I was very angry when we traded down from Scott Reedy to pick a double overager in Brandon Crawley who had, in my opinion, zero chance of being an NHL player, but that's an old wound by now.

Reactions: surlysailor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad