Draft Round 5 #152: New York Rangers Select D Rasmus Larsson (Västerås IK J20/Sweden)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Reminiscent of Vic Mancini, overager taken in the fifth round last year who had very little written on him. People didn't like it. He had a really nice season in 22-23 and looks like an actual prospect.

Not saying one has anything to do with the other, but I'll withhold judgment since I know nothing about him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Reminiscent of Vic Mancini, overager taken in the fifth round last year who had very little written on him. People didn't like it. He had a really nice season in 22-23 and looks like an actual prospect.

Not saying one has anything to do with the other, but I'll withhold judgment since I know nothing about him.

You don't know how it works around here, clearly

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
"“Tall, rangy and plays with length; a smooth skater who can break pucks out of his own zone effortlessly and has the ability to create offense by leading and supporting the rush. Has a big point shot and a threat to score goals from the back end, with 16 tucks in 50 games, good for a share of first in Sweden’s (top junior) league among defensemen. He may need time to adjust to the smaller ice and need to process faster and make quicker decisions, but he’s a pro prospect with a lot of upside to play big minutes in all situations.”

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He's a late 5th rounder and somebody did post a few rankings. I'm sure you had complaints about Perreault also. It's what you do.
He was unranked by nearly every single list, he was only on EU Central Scouting & DraftProspects. Perhaps you don't read any scouting sites but nearly every player has scouting reports on them, this guy has none on any of them. He is an unknown player and many have said so. I like the Perreault pick, do wish he was a good skater though. That was our only good pick.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Random transactional shit I want to see happen in the NHL.

-The Carolina Hurricanes acquire Sebastian Aho and have two Sebastian Aho's in the lineup at the same exact time.
What will the jerseys say? Can they wear similar numbers? One wears 20, the other goes back to 28?

-An NHL team compiles an entire 6 man D-squad composed of players named Rasmus.
Dahlin, Ristolainen, Anderson, Sandin, Larsson...almost there to being possible!

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
He was unranked by nearly every single list, he was only on EU Central Scouting & DraftProspects. Perhaps you don't read any scouting sites but nearly every player has scouting reports on them, this guy has none on any of them. He is an unknown player and many have said so. I like the Perreault pick, do wish he was a good skater though. That was our only good pick.
So what if he is unknown by some scouting sites. The new regime has had some good picks the last few years. No reason not to trust them I guess. The odds of a 5th rounder making it to the NHL anyway are slim and none even if you think they were a good pick.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
"“Tall, rangy and plays with length; a smooth skater who can break pucks out of his own zone effortlessly and has the ability to create offense by leading and supporting the rush. Has a big point shot and a threat to score goals from the back end, with 16 tucks in 50 games, good for a share of first in Sweden’s (top junior) league among defensemen. He may need time to adjust to the smaller ice and need to process faster and make quicker decisions, but he’s a pro prospect with a lot of upside to play big minutes in all situations.”
So we drafted a good skater and people are still mad.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Not being called out by many means nothing to me. Those scouts see a lot, but not everything.
The published lists help know some, about some guys.
I root for a team that has done well with overlooked guys, such as Lundqvist, Zuccarello, Panarin and Girardi

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Pronman on Larsson. I like it for a 5th rounder

Analysis: Larsson’s natural athleticism is his big selling point. He’s a very strong skater for a guy who is 6-foot-3. The way he’s able to skate pucks up ice and close on checks with his feet looks like an NHL defenseman. The rest of his game outside of that is up for debate. He scored a lot this year and showed skill/IQ, but whether that’s what he projects to be as a pro is questionable. He’s also a so-so defender who doesn’t compete that hard in his own end. Thus he’s rough around the edges, but has the potential to be a good defenseman.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad