Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 106: Matthew Strome, LW, Hamilton (OHL)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Out of all the picks, this one has the most potential to be the next "Lindblom pick."

Really love getting him at 106

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Out of all the picks, this one has the most potential to be the next "Lindblom pick."

Really love getting him at 106

Strome is now officially my favorite prospect, but I'd still hold off on this one. Lindblom needed some first step work, had a slightly disappointing J20 season, but bookended it with a good Hlinka and u18s, only to fall to round 5 with Euro factor playing some part in that. Strome had a pretty expected season but not anything remarkable, did ok at u18s, fell unexpectedly to round 4 largely due to skating.

They don't play worlds apart stylistically, but Lindblom was also 9 months younger in his draft year than Strome and better in virtually everything. His track record, internationally and in seasons prior, was much better. He was/is more skilled, and plays quicker beyond the skating. And his skating had a higher baseline too. Lindblom's skating knock was largely overblown. Edges, quick feet, all were fine. Just needed some burst and not out of the ordinary power skating work. Strome is bigger, heavier, and skates like it too in every sense one can skate. I think his baseline skating is coming from a worse place. Apparently it didn't improve much this season past. Strome can still be a solid bottom 6 guy with room for a bit more depending on those feet -- because he is pretty smart and decently skilled -- but I'm not expecting some Lindblom magic potential. Honestly, we might already have two guys who could be our next "Lindblom pick(s)" (in a relative sense) in Vorobyov and Laczynski.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I don't see the Lindblom comparisons at all. First, even just superficially, Strome is a bad skater, and Lindblom has just been mediocre. More importantly though, Lindblom is and always has been a super savvy type of scorer. He doesn't just mindlessly bury trash... he actually creates offense with crafty decision making deep in the zone. I've watched Strome a couple times, so I'm not an authority on his game, but I never saw anything resembling Lindblom's awareness. Which isn't a total knock on Strome-- it's what makes Lindblom such a wonderful prospect.

EDIT: Beaten by a minute by Magua

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
IIRC Lindblom along with Vorobyov the Flyers thought process in regards to their skating was that just by filling out would go a ways towards correcting their issues.

It seems with Strome he's just flat out bad right now & leaves not much at all to hang your hat in regards to his skating in current form. It seems like you're basically hoping for a Hail Mary that his skating can get to a passable level at this point.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Strome is pretty errr filled out already :laugh:

Like I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't totally surprise me if his fitness wasn't top notch and that he was carrying some non-muscle weight and could get sleeker. Someone go to Stone Harbor and bring some calipers.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Like I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't totally surprise me if his fitness wasn't top notch and that he was carrying some non-muscle weight and could get sleeker. Someone go to Stone Harbor and bring some calipers.

It wouldn't be shocking to me at all if there was some unintentional complacency there, impacting his fitness. With his brothers being drafted and him in line for quite a few years (I would guess) to be drafted, he may have kind of let things settle to a degree and taken things slightly for granted, even if he didn't mean to and wasn't purposefully being lazy about his development - as opposed to someone like a Cody Glass, for example (or insert another more fitting player who wasn't a "legacy" kid).

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It wouldn't be shocking to me at all if there was some unintentional complacency there, impacting his fitness. With his brothers being drafted and him in line for quite a few years (I would guess) to be drafted, he may have kind of let things settle to a degree and taken things slightly for granted, even if he didn't mean to and wasn't purposefully being lazy about his development - as opposed to someone like a Cody Glass, for example (or insert another more fitting player who wasn't a "legacy" kid).

He's going to train in Bangkok with you and be put on a salmon only diet

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah that's what I was kind of going for. The concern with them was much lesser than Strome. Even last year with Bunnaman who was a bigger/heavier kid it seemed like their concern with his skating was wanting to see his feet get quicker.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He's going to train in Bangkok with you and be put on a salmon only diet

I have slimmed down like a mother****er, you wouldn't even believe the difference, and I know tons of Koreans with connections to plastic surgeons, so I could sort out both of his biggest problems. Did you know that many South Koreans get plastic surgery coupons as a high-school graduation gift? True story. And by God, is it ever working for them.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have slimmed down like a mother****er, you wouldn't even believe the difference, and I know tons of Koreans with connections to plastic surgeons, so I could sort out both of his biggest problems. Did you know that many South Koreans get plastic surgery coupons as a high-school graduation gift? True story. And by God, is it ever working for them.

jfc :laugh:

Yeah that's what I was kind of going for. The concern with them was much lesser than Strome. Even last year with Bunnaman who was a bigger/heavier kid it seemed like their concern with his skating was wanting to see his feet get quicker.

Yeah, even Bunnaman, who was as slow and heavy in stride as Strome has really good edge control and footwork. Don't think Strome really has that either.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wasnt comparing Strome to Lindblom like they were mirror images.

Just a very general comparison of "prospect that fell to 4th round due to skating that if he improves it could be a steal."

That's all lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad