Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 106: Matthew Strome, LW, Hamilton (OHL)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You people better get on the Matt Strome bandwagon before all the spots are filled up! (note: there are only 4 spots on the wagon and 2 wheels are missing).

I’m just glad we have Strome because his case study will be interesting as hell. Don’t know how much more I can believe in the hockey talent and brain of a skater this putrid. I watched him a couple times of late, and I do think he’s at least moving his feet a little more. But this is going to be fun.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
You people better get on the Matt Strome bandwagon before all the spots are filled up! (note: there are only 4 spots on the wagon and 2 wheels are missing).

I’m just glad we have Strome because his case study will be interesting as hell. Don’t know how much more I can believe in the hockey talent and brain of a skater this putrid. I watched him a couple times of late, and I do think he’s at least moving his feet a little more. But this is going to be fun.

He's overshadowing former 3rd rounders Bitten and Entwistle, though the later has just returned from injury.

Also, has he gotten bigger? Jesus...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well you gotta have a little confidence in your skating to pull off that move at the blue line 5v5 as a forward. Glass half full.

Reactions: SnS

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I'd like to reserve a seat just in case he does learn how to skate better than Stephen Hawking.

That way I'm in the Founders Club and can say I knew it all along.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I will reserve my bandwagon seat. Obviously he knows his skating needs work, and he’s working on that issue. In a few years, with continued progress, his skating will be fine, yes a steal in the fourth round

Reactions: hatcher

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
You ever see those videos where people try to walk into really strong winds during hurricanes?

That's what his skating looks like.
Haha, that's awesome...and very true. I like Strome but its like he's pulling sandbags behind him. If someone flips him the puck from the other end of the ice, the opponent always catches up to him, and 2 on 1's generally turn into 1 on 1's because he can't keep up with most of his teammates (Hamilton has quite a few fast skaters). However, somehow Strome does manage to produce a lot but it generally happens while the entire play is already in the opponent's end. He's the largest, slowest, and the most physical of the 3 Stromes.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Haha, that's awesome...and very true. I like Strome but its like he's pulling sandbags behind him. If someone flips him the puck from the other end of the ice, the opponent always catches up to him, and 2 on 1's generally turn into 1 on 1's because he can't keep up with most of his teammates (Hamilton has quite a few fast skaters). However, somehow Strome does manage to produce a lot but it generally happens while the entire play is already in the opponent's end. He's the largest, slowest, and the most physical of the 3 Stromes.
Sounds like he's made for the powerplay.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I'm on the bandwagon, I have faith he'll improve his skating, but hes got a long way to go. Nice hands but thats hilarious how slow he looks. It just looks like there is way too much friction between his skates and the ice. Like hes skating on really bad synthetic ice.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You'll need a new bandwagon once you realize Lycksell is amazing and Allison is just alright.
aLlIsOn Is JuSt AlRiGhT
1otk96.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's overshadowing former 3rd rounders Bitten and Entwistle, though the later has just returned from injury.

Also, has he gotten bigger? Jesus...

Bitten is a bland undersized player with some energy. He's really nothing special when I watch, even at that level. Entwistle could be a solid bottom 6 player -- he's big, smart, can skate well, and positionally versatile -- but he really needs to make a jump into p/pg territory this year, though his shooting % is very very low coming back from injury. He certainly isn't the most skilled player either. All you have to do is watch a little Bulldogs hockey to see Strome is their best forward/player and runs the show when he's out there. He overshadowed them last year when I watched old games in the summer too. He's just completely better than them minus his feet, even if he went in the 4th. Seeing who went ahead of him, a team really could've pick him in the 3rd pretty easily in my book, even with his skating. I will adamantly say that nothing else about him is lower than 1st round quality.

He was a hair under 6'4 at the combine. His size is something that gets downplayed, I think, among our pool. He is a giant and built like a house to boot. He's not fun to get the puck from, and it allows him a lot of time to be patient with the puck in the o-zone, even if he can't skate. Seeing pictures during the prospects camp, it seems conditioning is also a hurdle in developing his skating. He's already big; he needs to get the right kind of big.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Every prospect should be given Provy's workout program and told "this is what other players are doing. If you are doing less, you are falling further behind"

It will be interesting to watch how his skating and his conditioning improves thru the years.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Every prospect should be given Provy's workout program and told "this is what other players are doing. If you are doing less, you are falling further behind"

It will be interesting to watch how his skating and his conditioning improves thru the years.
Only a cyborg can handle that... a human would die. Especially Water Bear.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I would love to see him keep his slowness but have moves that no one could stop. He would be like a slow moving Lemieux, having to beat defenders not once but two and three times, and yet still make the play, like a 20 year old against 5 year olds. Plus, he's so big, people would be throwing checks at him and bouncing off.
He would be a slow moving mass of humanity that no one could stop.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, you're describing Jagr the last five years, the slowest guy on the ice, yet no one can take the puck from him and he still makes plays on a consistent basis, though the other four better cover for him on defense.

I think that's the Water Bear's potential MO if he gets his skating from terrible to merely below average.
Big strong guy who can park in front of the net and has the hand strength and eye to hand coordination to score in crowds.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Actually, you're describing Jagr the last five years, the slowest guy on the ice, yet no one can take the puck from him and he still makes plays on a consistent basis, though the other four better cover for him on defense.

I think that's the Water Bear's potential MO if he gets his skating from terrible to merely below average.
Big strong guy who can park in front of the net and has the hand strength and eye to hand coordination to score in crowds.

Tim Kerr....human slot machine!

Reactions: IronMarshal

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'm just hoping, in the end, that he doesn't become Jason Allison, all the hands but might as well have cement skates. I really do hope he improves over the next 2 or 3 years. His hands deserve better feet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad