GDT: Round 3 (Can You Believe It?!) Game 1: EDM @ COL aka Mc v. Mac (8PM ET)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Why are people saying that Toews is inured? Is that a thing? I haven’t heard anything about this.

I thought he was shaky last night, but didn’t know it was injury related.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'm all for putting in Murray over JJ, but JJ wasn't the reason Manson was a -4 last night. The eye ball test told the entire story, but just to back it up with stats:
  • Jack Johnson was a -1 with 50% CF (16-16)
  • Manson was a -4 with a team-worst 38.2% CF (13-21)
If Manson hadn't been so good against St. Louis, we'd all be calling for his benching after his Game 1 performance. He had some truly horrendous games in the regular season, but redeemed himself with his play in Rounds 1 & 2. Last night, regular season Manson re-appeared.

Hopefully he has a short memory and can bounce back in Game 2.
If I were Dave Manson then I’d have been feeding tips to the Oiler players how to get under his son’s skin and beat him.

Reactions: shadow1

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Are you trying to convince yourself?
No. Why would I need to do that? There is a precedent from another series that is barely a week old. I heard all the same premature golating from Flames fans after Game 1 of that series. And the same ridiculous rationalizations about how giving up six goals to us in game 1 was really nothing for them to be concerned about. But it was something to be concerned about and they never did figure out how to stop us from scoring. We on the other hand figured out how to limit their scoring very quickly. After 1 game I see absolutely no reason to believe that the Avs will have any more success stopping us from scoring than the Flames did.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
No. Why would I need to do that? There is a precedent from another series that is barely a week old. I heard all the same premature golating from Flames fans after Game 1 of that series. And the same ridiculous rationalizations about how giving up six goals to us in game 1 was really nothing for them to be concerned about. But it was something to be concerned about and they never did figure out how to stop us from scoring. We on the other hand figured out how to limit their scoring very quickly. After 1 game I see absolutely no reason to believe that the Avs will have any more success stopping us from scoring than the Flames did.

You must be lost.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
You hit the nail on the head. I honestly just don’t know what JJ is bringing right now. He looks slow, is making bad decisions with the puck and is making Manson look significantly worse. I get your argument of “game shape”, but I think Murray can handle the 12:30 of ice time JJ is playing. Now is the time to get Murray in game shape while the Avs still have home ice advantage. Letting him get into a game where he’ll face a ton of McDavid and Drai won’t go well for him and Manson if he’s not ready.
I think there was a speed and skill adjustment that had to come last night for all players really. JJ will catch up a bit and look better. I'm not opposed to seeing Murray or MacNorris out there at all, but this is how coaches think. You put Murray out in game 2 without a chance to adjust to all the Oilers bring and its a real risk. I think if a coach was going to make that move he only does it up 2-0 on the road. I said before I do think JJ is prone to tiring from being used every game and would like him to be cycled out every 2nd or 3rd game, but that isn't happening. Same thing concerns me about Francouz, he can probably keep the net fine a few games but if he needs to play the next 10 games under playoff pressure I don't know if he holds up. Guys signed to be backups can only play at the highest level so long and that's JJ right now.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

There's been absolutely zero gloating from Avs fans. Maybe actually read the thread you're posting in.

There's more doom and gloom here after a win than on the Oilers board after a loss. Saying Avs fans are gloating is just patently untrue and shows me that you actually haven't read and of the posts and you just wanted to talk crap about Avs fans.

But go off.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
There's been absolutely zero gloating from Avs fans. Maybe actually read the thread you're posting in.

There's more doom and gloom here after a win than on the Oilers board after a loss. Saying Avs fans are gloating is just patently untrue and shows me that you actually haven't read and of the posts and you just wanted to talk crap about Avs fans.

But go off.
The specific quote I was responding too did sound a little like gloating but I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had realized I was posting a response to a thread on the Avs team board. If you can't gloat on your own board, where can you gloat? Carry on.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Look, in all honesty there are reasons for Colorado to not be happy with last night's outcome, just as there are reasons for Edmonton to be unhappy with the outcome. I don't personally think that applying previous series outcomes to your current one is the best way to measure how it can unfold. Colorado is built differently than Calgary. Just as Edmonton is built different than St. Louis and Nashville.

Colorado's offensive firepower and way they transition (not the mention how good at it they usually are) is not something that Edmonton has really, truly, faced in these playoffs. On the flip-side, Colorado saw firsthand last night the same thing that Calgary and LA learned this playoff--no lead is safe from McDavid/Draisaitl. Both teams have room for improvement.

That said, the times that Colorado was successful in bending the game to their style, showed just how quickly things can go south for teams. And when they eased a bit, Edmonton was successful in sort of suckering them in to playing their own brand of chaos hockey...and it almost worked.

All of this to say, I just don't buy that previous success is wholly indicative of how successful one will be this series. For one, Colorado's group of defensemen are better at transitioning than Calgary and LA's are. It was an absolute wild 1st game, can't wait to see what happens in G2. I obviously hope Colorado wins, but given the fireworks we saw last night, I won't be surprised if Edmonton is once again successful in getting the Avs off their game and engaged in the chaos hockey again.

Reactions: klozge

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I would honestly play MacDonald over Murray and JJ in this series.

Much better skater then both, much better puck mover then both. And he was just playing playoff hockey a few days ago already.
He replaces G the best by far. Not sure why he hasn’t played much this year but he was the clear best option to come in.

Why are people saying that Toews is inured? Is that a thing? I haven’t heard anything about this.

Took a big hit in the corner and went down the tunnel afterwards.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Remember he missed quite a bit of time before the end of the season to heal up from something. I don't think he was ever 100% at the start of the playoffs.

Then he took a hit last night and had to go down the tunnel for a bit, but remained in the game. There's definitely something wrong.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Avs aren't the Flames

Reactions: Turbonium

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Remember he missed quite a bit of time before the end of the season to heal up from something. I don't think he was ever 100% at the start of the playoffs.

Then he took a hit last night and had to go down the tunnel for a bit, but remained in the game. There's definitely something wrong.
Seems like it unfortunately. He completely took a full gainer in the defensive zone with no one around him later on in the game while going for a puck in the corner, too.

Reactions: Foppa2118

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I think he's been hurt for a while and the injury is becoming progressively more debilitating.

For two years Toews has been a robot who never makes mistakes. He's been like a damn terminator on skates.

The last few weeks he's been making mistakes in bunches (exhibit A: Oilers 4th goal last night). I'm not being hyperbolic when I say I counted three giveaways in the final ~5 minutes in Game 5 of the Blues series (the epic choke job game).

Normally I'd chalk it up to nerves, but Toews has a ton of playoff experience. It must have something to do with that 4-game shutdown Bednar gave him at the end of the regular season. Something is definitely wrong with him.

Ryan Murray took the pre-game skate in Game 1. We all assumed it was to potentially replace Jack Johnson in the line-up, but I honestly wonder if it was in case Toews couldn't go. He seldom practices ("maintenance days" lately) and seems to be getting worse by the game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think he's been hurt for a while and the injury is becoming progressively more debilitating.

For two years Toews has been a robot who never makes mistakes. He's been like a damn terminator on skates.

The last few weeks he's been making mistakes in bunches (exhibit A: Oilers 4th goal last night). I'm not being hyperbolic when I say I counted three giveaways in the final ~5 minutes in Game 5 of the Blues series (the epic choke job game).

Normally I'd chalk it up to nerves, but Toews has a ton of playoff experience. It must have something to do with that 4-game shutdown Bednar gave him at the end of the regular season. Something is definitely wrong with him.

Ryan Murray took the pre-game skate in Game 1. We all assumed it was to potentially replace Jack Johnson in the line-up, but I honestly wonder if it was in case Toews couldn't go. He seldom practices ("maintenance days" lately) and seems to be getting worse by the game.

That's not necessarily true. There was a stretch earlier in the year (I wanna say around January) where he was making quite a few uncharacteristic mistakes as well. He also had some tough moments in last years playoffs.

Right now though, I'm pretty sure he's playing through something. He just looks off.

Like when he took a spill in his own end for seemingly no reason. And his decision making is slower at times (possibly because he's distracted with his injury) like when he got caught flat footed behind the net and turned the puck over.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
That's not necessarily true. There was a stretch earlier in the year (I wanna say around January) where he was making quite a few uncharacteristic mistakes as well. He also had some tough moments in last years playoffs.

Right now though, I'm pretty sure he's playing through something. He just looks off.

Like when he took a spill in his own end for seemingly no reason. And his decision making is slower at times (possibly because he's distracted with his injury) like when he got caught flat footed behind the net and turned the puck over.
Might be that he's been playing tons of minutes and getting some mental fatigue as well. We saw him slow down last year when he and Girard were being force fed minutes.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
You are right. This thread popped up at the top and I didn't realize I was posting in a thread on the Avs board.
1654118073655.gif

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Hes also taking maintenance days. Something is up with him. Hes obviously not the Toews we are used to seeing.

Reactions: Pokecheque

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
So, rangers beat the bolts. I purposely brought an Avs t-shirt to, you know, make a minor display in the City. With the win, I will be more obnoxious than usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad