Draft Round 3 #90: New York Rangers Select D Drew Fortescue (USNTDP)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They say he can move the puck. Like with Hajek, I'm concerned about his low point totals if that's true.

Even Lindgren put up Orr numbers in midget hockey.

It shouldn't bear repeating but it does: scoring a lot at lower levels is predictive of success.

We'll see what happens.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Keep drafting US college kids. Historically has been a profitable exercise for the Ranger org. I think Muse's input is obviously being taken into account, but Drury himself is extremely involved in USA Hockey and has been for awhile. I like the flavor of this draft so far.

Reactions: bhamill

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Sounds like a modern defenseman, albeit with not too much offensive upside that can carve out a nice career as a bottom pairing guy that can PK but transition the puck well.

No complaints from me, this is where you take these high floor, but low upside players to give the organization depth.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
On a scale of 1 to 3017 what is his explosiveness?? Edgework?? Quick, someone get Bacon’s player card.

If he doesn’t have a high hockey IQ I’m done with hockey forever until October.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
When drafting around #90 I think it is almost a roll of the dice. It will take some time to see if these kids are any good. We should know in 2-3 years.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Minnetian seemed to be the better pick. Hope I'm wrong.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I know zilch about this guy except what I'm reading. EdJo's photo says "mediocre skating," and the quote from an opposing coach says "he can skate"... so I still know zilch about his skating. hahaha. I'm sure some clips will emerge and we can see for ourselves soon. If he can be an excellent defender I don't care if he scores zero points, TBH.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
They say he can move the puck. Like with Hajek, I'm concerned about his low point totals if that's true.

Even Lindgren put up Orr numbers in midget hockey.

It shouldn't bear repeating but it does: scoring a lot at lower levels is predictive of success.

We'll see what happens.
Hajek would be a fine 3rd pairing guy if the rest of his game was solid and he lived up to his physical skills but didn’t score much
Hajek isn’t good because his defense is bad and he can’t move the puck effectively, not because he doesn’t score points
A third pairing D who’s solid and cheap is fine as a 3rd round pick if it pans out. Shut down the rush, start a breakout, don’t need to score a lot if you’re cheap

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
To be clear, I dunno if this guy has what it takes to be a NHL depth D. Hopefully he does but this seems like picking for his defense and transition puck skills rather than worrying about his offense. If that's a dumb thing to do, I dunno

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I know zilch about this guy except what I'm reading. EdJo's photo says "mediocre skating," and the quote from an opposing coach says "he can skate"... so I still know zilch about his skating. hahaha. I'm sure some clips will emerge and we can see for ourselves soon. If he can be an excellent defender I don't care if he scores zero points, TBH.
Skating for a defenseman is less about acceleration, and more about weight shifts and not making mistakes.
Can you mirror the forward and angle him outside even if he’s faster.
How quickly can you flip your hips.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hajek would be a fine 3rd pairing guy if the rest of his game was solid and he lived up to his physical skills but didn’t score much
Hajek isn’t good because his defense is bad and he can’t move the puck effectively, not because he doesn’t score points
A third pairing D who’s solid and cheap is fine as a 3rd round pick if it pans out. Shut down the rush, start a breakout, don’t need to score a lot if you’re cheap
And Hajek was picked in round 1. Everyone at this point is flawed one way or another. Mobile D with some size / physicality who can move the puck out of the zone a bit is a fine pick late in a 3rd. He will go to a good college program and will have time to develop and maybe beat the odds against (to become an NHLer)

Reactions: bhamill and glr1926

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
And Hajek was picked in round 1. Everyone at this point is flawed one way or another. Mobile D with some size / physicality who can move the puck out of the zone a bit is a fine pick late in a 3rd. He will go to a good college program and will have time to develop and maybe beat the odds against (to become an NHLer)
I think Hajek was a 2nd round pick

glr1926

Jun 11, 2023
Seems like a solid pick--I hardly know enough about the later round prospects to really say what I think but not surprised we took a USA D. Obviously you aren't going to get a perfect prospect by late in Round 3.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Maybe a diamond in the rough. Organization needs as many players who can transition as possible.

Pearl River? Cool my neck of the woods.

He sounds like a nobleman.

Get dressed and hurry up, Count Fortescue has invited us over for dinner at his castle. In return, invite him over for upper-crust pizza and show him your impressive study filled with mahogany bookcases and rugs imported from Persia.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00