Draft Round 3 #90: New York Rangers Select D Drew Fortescue (USNTDP)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Teammate of Perreault and also going to BC with him. Don't know much about him, but I like that.

edit - Also a local boy from Pearl River, NY.

Also a quote from Muse,

“He made really big improvements from year one to year two,” NTDP head coach Dan Muse told The Rink Live. “He became a guy that you could play against anybody’s top line and he ate a lot of minutes for us.

“He moves pucks really well, he transitions well and I just thought everything took a step this season. His first pass, his gaps, his defensive detail – everything. He’s the type of guy that can play a lot of minutes and in a lot of different situations and he’s the type of player that probably doesn’t get as much appreciation from the outside as he does from the guys in the locker room and around the team.”

“He's really good at defending off the rush and he's probably one of the best penalty killers we saw this season,” said one opposing USHL head coach. "Just a really good overall defender."

“He’s a bigger defensemen,” added an NHL scout. “Even though he’s not necessarily a guy that’s gonna run you over, he’s physical and he has some real toughness to him. He’s not a super offensive guy but he moves pucks well, he starts plays in his own zone and he can skate. He defends well, he’s got the reach and he’s got a lot of the things that you want out of a defenseman.”"

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
jHm6dkN.png

Yup.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ranked #92 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #96 by FLOHOCKEY/CHRIS PETERS
Ranked #93 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #82 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #78 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #60 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #53 by HPR/SHANE MALLOY
Ranked #86 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

He was picked where expected, maybe a little later than expected.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Ranked #92 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #96 by FLOHOCKEY/CHRIS PETERS
Ranked #93 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #82 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #78 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #60 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #53 by HPR/SHANE MALLOY
Ranked #86 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

He was picked where expected, maybe a little later than expected.
I mean he went 90, 3 had him after that, and 4 had him before that. Seems like 90 is almost a little late.

Reactions: bhamill

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So...

we got Panarin's replacement in Perreualt

Now we got Trouba's replacement, in Fortescue... Stylistically speaking.. but maybe he could actually be good at defense

I don't mind a guy if he can be a Slavin on defense. Play your role on the team. Not everyone has to be a dynamo.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
not that I think this about this player but stay-at-home defensemen have absolutely no value at the NHL level unless they're truly S tier defensively like Lindgren or Pelech. Drafting ones that are already that type is dumb.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Iirc he was Unranked in the Black Book, but I can’t confirm til I’m done with work

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
So...

we got Panarin's replacement in Perreualt

Now we got Trouba's replacement, in Fortescue... Stylistically speaking.. but maybe he could actually be good at defense

I don't mind a guy if he can be a Slavin on defense. Play your role on the team. Not everyone has to be a dynamo.
Sounds like a Lindgren type to me from Muse's evaluation.

LD who can move the puck, play in all situations, physical, and can eat minutes? Sounds like a replacement for Lindgren.

Giving Muse a lot of rope. Not many situations like this where a new coach or associate coach joins a team after coaching players that are draft eligible 2 months later.
I just posted the same thing. Lindgren 2.0, hopefully.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Lindgren was never a big point guy at any level, he was captain of the USNTDP. He's a staple here. Fortescue and Fischer aren't on that level, their D group isn't that great but you're not drafting these sorts of players for offense. It'll all depend on how their defensive game translates to each level. Believe me I love swinging for the fences, I wouldve loved to land Perron, Čiernik, etc.. but Fortescue isn't a horrible choice here

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
C+ pick.

Not terrible but at least a dozen guys I would have taken instead. Don’t see how he helps the puck movement issues though. If they wanted a puck mover from USDP they could have taken Minnetian but with Muse being on the inside, maybe he knows something we don’t

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Pronman's analysis

Analysis: Fortescue is a decent-sized defenseman who is solid in his own end. He defends well due to his mobility and also strong physical game. He closes on checks well with his feet and separates checks from pucks. Fortescue isn’t a natural offensive type. He has decent puck skills and shows some moments as a puckhandler, but lacks vision and offensive instincts. That lack of puck game will be an issue as he advances levels. I think he could play games but the defensive play will need to be outstanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad