Place of birth: Lerum, Sweden
Ht: 6’2″ Wt: 194 lbs
Shoots: Left
Position: LW/RW
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2014
Twitter: @Antonkarlsson61
THW The Next Ones Rankings (January 2014): 30

Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Anton Karlsson:
  • Leader – Captain of two Team Sweden U17 teams plus the 2013 WJC U18 and the 2013 Ivan Hlinka.
  • Deadly on the rush – His ability to make top notch plays at high speed make him especially deadly on the rush.
  • High-end skills – Explosive skater, high-end passer, soft hands around the net, elite wrister and a killer one-timer.
  • Tough to play against – Excels at going to the net, undaunted physically, tenacious, solid checker; loves to roil the opposition and put them off their game.
  • Draft placement – Mainly in the twenties; Anton will have to have a breakout 2014 U18 WJC to move up significantly as his results to date have not matched what was expected from his skill-set.

“Big hulking winger who is at his best when he forechecks hard and finishes his checks. He bought that role during the WJC in Sweden and was very effective until he got hurt in a game against Norway. He’s got some offensive tools as well, but if he’s ever going to play in the NHL, it’ll probably be as a banging third-liner who plays responsible defensively and adds a lot of physicality to the game. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up in the CHL next season. “

Uffe Bodin - hockeysverige.se
“Karlsson is a strong forward that is tough to handle at full speed. He has a good compete level, solid checking ability and the smarts to play both ends effectively. He’s a strong playmaker given his vision, timing and soft hands but can finish, too. (August 2013)â€

Aaron Vickers - Future Considerations

“Karlsson burst onto the scene internationally last season; wearing the captaincy for Sweden at the Under 17 Championships and following that up with a very impressive performance as an underager with the Swedish entry at the Under 18 Championships. The 6-foot-1 forward has already filled out to 203 pounds and has a motor that is rivaled by few prospects at this age. Karlsson is a tireless worker who is always making an impact with his hardwork and physicality. The 17-year-old is relentless on the forecheck and is excellent at creating turnovers and driving offensive zone puck possession with great board-work and puck protection. Karlsson is underrated offensively and his ability to be around the puck bodes well for him at the next level as he should develop into a forward who is capable of complimenting a first or second line centre.â€

The Scouting Report

Karlsson is always considered one of the hardest working players on whatever team he is on. He has many positives to his game - he's a leader, an above average skater, strong passer, is great around the net, has a lethal wrist shot, is great on the rush, tough to play against... the list goes on. On top of that, Karlsson has all of these skills in a big body that doesn't get pushed around easily and is hard to knock off the puck. He can handle the puck well while moving extremely quickly and he works hard to protect his own end. He also works to keep his defensive game strong, as well - he focuses on his positioning when defending and finishes his checks well.

[NHL]627052[/NHL]

Last edited:

GoHabsGo312711*

You ****ing suck Bergevin.. trade Anton Karlsson for a future 6th D.... **** off

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
When I was reading through some the prospects on websites, Karlsson was one that caught my eye. I thought he may even be in play for our second 2nd round pick and definitely for our 3rd round pick. To be able to trade down and still get Karlsson is a big win...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
When I was reading through some the prospects on websites, Karlsson was one that caught my eye. I thought he may even be in play for our second 2nd round pick and definitely for our 3rd round pick. To be able to trade down and still get Karlsson is a big win...

Agreed. Good asset management. But this just means they thought that much more of Dvorak.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I really like this pick.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Love this pick. I thought Karlsson was worth an early 2nd - downright larceny to be able to trade down to the late 3rd and *still* pick him up.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
This is the brother of Ottawas Erik Karlsson. Let's hope that skill runs in the family.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie just selected Anton Karlsson in the CHL Import Draft. Wonder if he will sign with Erie?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hopefully. I feel like juniors is the best path for young hockey players, and i think it's the easiest way to track their progression.

I've been told he is coming over.

Expect him to immediately slot into Erie's top six with the massive graduation of talent from last year's team.

He'll be on either Connor McDavid's or Dylan Strome's wing next year.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

Expect him to immediately slot into Erie's top six with the massive graduation of talent from last year's team.

Well I guess being on a line with McDavid can't hurt too bad, it will probably significantly inflate his numbers so he will be hard to judge, but I ain't mad about it!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well I guess being on a line with McDavid can't hurt too bad, it will probably significantly inflate his numbers so he will be hard to judge, but I ain't mad about it!

It likely would inflate his numbers a bit, but I also think it will help his offensive game develop. Will be nice for him to adjust to the NA ice as well. Erie is getting themselves together as an organization, and we have an excellent coaching staff now. This is a good move for both him and the Otters.

Worked out well for Burakovsky last season.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Doesn't Eerie own Larkin's right. Too bad he bleeds maze and blue.

Yes, Erie took him in the 10th round of the 2012 OHL Draft. Would love him to see him in Erie, a first line of Larkin-McDavid-Karlsson would be awesome. No chance he de commits from Michigan though.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.

The Russian (American?) they drafted in the second round, what position does he play?
I see where he's played in the states - did his family relocate or did he just come over to play on the North American ice surface?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad