Round 2, Vote 8 (HOH Top Non-NHL Europeans)

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
So PK skills and requirements have to be viewed within the context of the rules. Comparing PK skills and results across the two eras is not accurate.

Well, I wasn't comparing Almetov's and Shadrin's PK skills and results per se.

And I think Almetov's PK skills (= very good at protecting the puck, apparently) would have still been pretty valuable post 1969; playing keep-away was still an important part of PK later on too, although it was actually something that Canadian teams did more succesfully against the Soviets rather than the other way around (e.g. in the 1972 & 1974 SSs) - until the days of Makarov & Krutov, that is.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Competing 1980s Europeans

I don't know, as the best players in europe were all scattered, but he was probably the NHL's best european since his top competition was mikko makela at forward, tomas jonsson at defense and kari takko in net.

Just from Sweden:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...=gt&c4val=&threshhold=5&order_by=games_played

Finland:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...t=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&threshhold=5&order_by=age

Adding to the previously mentioned, Persson, Sinisalo, plus a number of six to eight season players on weak teams.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I'm interested to see who you guys have as the next Soviet center.

It seems like a bit of drop-off after Starshinov.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Voted.

I have to say that I ended the round knowing exactly as much about Loob and Liba as I started with, which isn't exactly a good thing.

Maybe we should have had an extra-long round for adding 7 candidates at once; oh well, too late now. Hope the 5 added are guys we had discussion about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad