Round 2, Vote 7 (HOH Top Wingers) WARNING POST #435

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at these comments over the past two threads. What claim does Pavel Bure have for the 1994 Hart Trophy? Does anyone here believe anyone but Sergei Fedorov, Doug Gilmour, John Vanbiesbrouck, Dominik Hasek, Ray Bourque, and Scott Stevens deserved a selection on a 5-3-1 ballot?

Maybe Wayne Gretzky, but it's not like playing in the West has ever affected his votes - Hell, he won a Hart Trophy in Los Angeles. Hate to burst your bubble, but Pavel Bure didn't get Hart votes in 1994 because he wasn't good enough. There were at least seven players who were better than him. And when a league is comprised of 20/26 teams in the Eastern/Central time zones, don't be surprised if six of those seven players who were clearly better play at for some of those 20 teams.

I mean, are you actually going to make an argument as to why Pavel Bure was a top-three player, or are you just going to complain about bias without giving us any reason to believe he deserved the two 3rd place votes he got?

Just to be clear I don't think that Bure deserved the Hart trophy that year, it went rightfully to Feds but 12th is a complete joke and the East West slant that year was evident enough that more than 15 years later the Canucks put out a campaign to offset perceived eastern bias in Hank Sedins's Hart trophy year.

No doubt there is going to be more chances of variance in a larger league as well but some years voting can be really wacky and with a tight 5,3,1 voting system some weird results can happen.

Case in point 95-96 Feds received a top 3 vote for every forward position available.

Thankfully these are the exceptions but Hart and all star voting can be really wonky at times and we will see this even more for 90's wingers that come up with Canadian wingers, especially RW's having an elite group of RW's from Europe and the USA dominating the scene with 1998 perhaps being the pinnacle of this trend with all 5 RW receiving votes coming from Europe and 1,2 LW's were from the states and the 5th guy from Europe.

Lots of 90's wingers should be coming up soon one would think.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Would you put him top-three on your ballot?

I think he had a case that year but then again I'm always reluctant to put Dmen on the Hart due to there being a separate Norris Trophy and dido for goalies.

That being said I would have put Feds, Gilmour, Bourque as position players ahead of Bure that year with only Feds as the clear guy ahead.

Bure played with Odjik at regular strength and I believe Murray Craven as his center, as Ronning centered Linden and Courtnall a lot back then but only going from memory here but in ES scoring for the Canucks (and this is with Gino as his primary winger that year he led the team with a 31-27-58 line.

The next best players were Ronning with a 15-25 line and Linden with a 20-19 line.

Most any poster here could make a reasonable argument for Bure 2nd that year in hart value (given team circumstances and actual performance) and that's my major point on that year and the problem with taking voting results as canon.

Heck even the voters had Gimour as both a solid 2nd in position players Hart voting and also a clear 2nd place in the Selke trophy yet he was a clear 3rd place all star center well behind Gretzky in 2nd place.

What exactly is up with that?

At least at RW they got Bure right with a very convincing victory over Neely and one can make a very strong argument that he was the best winger in the NHL that year.

The year before he arguably has his best year (40-28 at ES to go with a league leading 7 SH goals) ever but has the misfortune of both Mogliny and Selanne having their best years ever as well thus only placing 3rd in RW all star voting.

There are a lot of reasons to have Bure near the top of this rounds voting IMO.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
And what time zone did they play in?

Well 4 guys out of 5 is one thing but when it becomes basically 11 out of 12 then it's another.

The thing is that the Canucks brass believed 15 years later that there was a problem with eastern voters going on enough that they had an active campaign the year that Sedin won it.

The reality is that in 93 eastern sportswriters as a group weren't going to stay up late to catch a game ending 1am the next day their time and catching the next day wasn't as technologically tuned in as it is today.

And seriously those flying V uniforms didn't help any right?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at these comments over the past two threads. What claim does Pavel Bure have for the 1994 Hart Trophy? Does anyone here believe anyone but Sergei Fedorov, Doug Gilmour, John Vanbiesbrouck, Dominik Hasek, Ray Bourque, and Scott Stevens deserved a selection on a 5-3-1 ballot?

Maybe Wayne Gretzky, but it's not like playing in the West has ever affected his votes - Hell, he won a Hart Trophy in Los Angeles. Hate to burst your bubble, but Pavel Bure didn't get Hart votes in 1994 because he wasn't good enough. There were at least seven players who were better than him. And when a league is comprised of 20/26 teams in the Eastern/Central time zones, don't be surprised if six of those seven players who were clearly better play at for some of those 20 teams.

I mean, are you actually going to make an argument as to why Pavel Bure was a top-three player, or are you just going to complain about bias without giving us any reason to believe he deserved the two 3rd place votes he got?

Seriously. There's been some stuff said about Pavel Bure in this thread that is a little biased but reasonable and then there's this.

Thing is, I could probably make a better argument that Patrik Elias deserved the 2001 Hart than that Pavel Bure deserved the 1994 Hart, but when Elias comes up, I'm not going to make it a thing because... well, there are other teams in the league too.

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
The reality is that in 93 eastern sportswriters as a group weren't going to stay up late to catch a game ending 1am the next day their time and catching the next day wasn't as technologically tuned in as it is today.

No, the reality is that you are claiming that media bias towards Eastern time zone players affected Pavel Bure's vote totals in 1994 when you wouldn't have voted for any West coast players either. So are we to conclude that you are biased against West coast players too? Because apparently your voting record is the only evidence necessary to throw around accusations of bias.

I mean, that is all you're going by, right? Just the voting record. You didn't actually have any proof when you tried to draw a parallel between these "problematic" results and Firsov winning the MVP... which was, what, decided by vague political reasons?

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Thing is, I could probably make a better argument that Patrik Elias deserved the 2001 Hart than that Pavel Bure deserved the 1994 Hart, but when Elias comes up, I'm not going to make it a thing because... well, there are other teams in the league too.

Oh, I'll make that argument. I'll make that argument all ******* day.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Voted.

I put Bucyk, Bure, Howe, Goulet, Philipps and Schriner names in a bucket and ranked them accordingly. Its safe to say that I hope for a big break after 4th place so none of the bucket guys get in.

No one should be too surprised that I have MSL at the head of this group. Firsov and Bentley next.

Count me in the group that want Bryan Hextall available next round. Kariya could be interesting as well. I wonder when we'll see the next late 60ies/'70 north american winger.

That's kind of unfortunate when we are supposed to be adding 5 this round.

JA

I've been saying this all along:
KEENAN: N.Y. WILL LOVE BURE - SATHER MOVES BRING EXCITEMENT BACK TO BROADWAY
BYLINE: Jay Greenberg
The New York Post
March 20, 2002, Wednesday
SECTION: Metro; Pg. 065

"I never had a problem with the way he played defense," said Mike Keenan, who has had problems with the way a lot of guys play defense. "He cheats like all great goal scorers should cheat, but he would pick up his guy when he could.

New York, four years removed from the NHL playoffs, and being removed from the NBA playoffs, too, can stand the excitement. At the cost of a mid-first rounder and a mid-level prospect, Sather would have had to be crazy not to trade for the most dazzling player in the NHL, never mind Bure's reputation for not lifting a finger in his own zone to help his teams, two of which Keenan couldn't get to the playoffs.

"From playing against him in '94, I can't question Pavel wanting to win," Messier said. "He took a team that was below .500 and basically carried it to the Stanley Cup final. "I played with him for a year and a half in Vancouver and when he wants to, when he has to, he's a very good defensive player.

"What's missing from his game has been a situation where the game means something.
Unfortunately, you can say that about a lot of us on our team."
It's something I've been saying all along. Mark Messier agrees.

It looks like Pavel made a conscious decision to become a two-way player, which corroborates all of the reports about his play in New York. Vadim mentioned that Bure's play in Florida was a choice. This confirms it.
PAV DOES WHAT HE DOES BEST
BYLINE: LARRY BROOKS
The New York Post
December 2, 2002, Monday
SECTION: All Editions; Pg. 062

Which explains why after a 4-3 victory in which he scored twice, Pavel Bure not only insisted that there's a choice to be made between scoring 50 and winning games, but that he chooses the latter.

"I didn't come here to score, I came here to be part of a team and to win," the Russian Rocket said after he and Ronald Petrovicky scored 18 seconds apart within the final 2:38 to lift the Blueshirts to a morale-boosting win over the Lightning at the Garden yesterday afternoon. "If you want to score 50 goals now, you have to play a different game, you have to hang out at the red line and take chances, but if you want to stay within the system and play defensively, you have to stay more in the [defensive-zone] slot.

"It depends which direction you want to go: Do you want to score 50 goals and lose some games or score 20 and win some games? My direction is to win the game, not to score. You can't do both. You can't score a lot of goals and play great defensively."

Again, the last thing Bure needs now is to become a focal point of controversy after finally getting to New York after so many years of coveting that home address. Been there, done that. You will never ever hear Bure second-guessing Bryan Trottier; never, ever hear him complain.

This, of course, does not verify Bure's claim that a 50-goal season and Ranger success are mutually-exclusive propositions. Indeed, the chances are slightly overwhelming that if Bure doesn't get close to that number, the Rangers won't make the playoffs. Players have roles. Within a structure, Bure's role is to score goals.

"I told Pavel that when we get the puck in the defensive zone, he should go," Nedved said. "I told him I'd look for him."

Getting significantly less ice than he has traditionally been awarded, Bure nevertheless leads the Rangers with 11 goals, just four off the NHL lead.

"It's important for us to put Pav in a position to score big goals because that's what he does best," said Messier, who was strong yesterday. "He doesn't play a conventional game, he isn't predictable . . . and you have to play off of that.

By the way: In games where Bure scores, the Rangers are 5-1-2.

What Bure did in Florida was a conscious decision. He chose not to utilize defensive skills that he possessed and that he showed throughout his time in Vancouver and in New York. This passage here suggests, if Pavel's health had held up, he was ready to become a conscientious two-way player. In Vancouver he provided sufficient defense while being a dynamic goal-scorer. Here, he makes it seem as though two-way play would soon become his first priority. He was fully capable of it with his skill set. He was a smart player; he was aware of the way he played, and he was always able to adapt.

Messier also called Bure "a tremendous passer." It's too bad his teammates couldn't finish.
BURE'S TRICK A RANGER TREAT
BYLINE: LARRY BROOKS
The New York Post
December 4, 2002, Wednesday
SECTION: Sport+Late City Final; Pg. 066

Bure, who fired nine shots on net, not only leads the Rangers with 14 goals - one off the NHL lead - but with a plus-eight, as well. He's recorded his numbers while receiving 20:10 of ice per, about six minutes under his customary complement.

But for now and the foreseeable future, he's not likely to get much more than the 19:32 he received last night, skating again with Petr Nedved, who had three assists, and Ronal Petrovicky, who collected a pair.

The Rangers, lukewarm in going 8-4-2 in the last 14 to reverse a 4-8-2 start - and 6-1-2 when Bure scores - won last night despite the absence of Brian Leetch, who left the match 8:30 into the first when he took a shot on the left ankle.

Works Cited

Brooks, Larry. "BURE'S TRICK A RANGER TREAT." The New York Post. (December 4, 2002 , Wednesday ): 568 words. LexisNexis Academic. Web. Date Accessed: 2014/11/17.

Brooks, Larry. "PAV DOES WHAT HE DOES BEST." The New York Post. (December 2, 2002 , Monday ): 588 words. LexisNexis Academic. Web. Date Accessed: 2014/11/17.

Greenberg, Jay. "KEENAN: N.Y. WILL LOVE BURE - SATHER MOVES BRING EXCITEMENT BACK TO BROADWAY." The New York Post. (March 20, 2002 , Wednesday ): 662 words. LexisNexis Academic. Web. Date Accessed: 2014/11/17.

Last edited by a moderator:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What claim does Pavel Bure have for the 1994 Hart Trophy?

No one is saying he should have won it, we're only saying 12th place and behind Adam Graves & Roenick is silly. He should have been 5th or 6th, at least. He was on pace for 118 points, but yeah he wasn't that good. Vanbiesbrouck was great but his team didn't make the playoffs. What if he played 60 games instead of 57, perhaps he could have won an extra game for his team...

Bure's 1994 was probably better than Selänne's 1993 and Selänne got a ton of Hart love for that year.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I've been saying this all along:

It's something I've been saying all along. Mark Messier agrees.

It looks like Pavel made a conscious decision to become a two-way player, which corroborates all of the reports about his play in New York. Vadim mentioned that Bure's play in Florida was a choice. This confirms it.

Messier also called Bure "a tremendous passer." It's too bad his teammates couldn't finish.

Is it supposed to make Bure look better that he "chose" not to play defense in his last season in Vancouver and his 2 full seasons in Florida (again, these are his 1st, 2nd, and 4th best seasons from an offensive standpoint)?

Isn't not backchecking generally a choice?

So its Bure's teammates faults he was never top 20 in assists? Funny, having bad teammates didn't seem to hurt Iginla as much, nor did it hurt Schriner or Bathgate. There's a difference between having the skills to do something and actually playing that way.

Ilya Kovalchuk was(is) an excellent passer, but he didn't look for it very often, that's not his game.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Fun facts: Bure had 0.49 assists per game over his career, which started in a very high scoring era and included almost no play after his prime because he retired due to injuries. Iginla has had 0.46 assists per game over his career, all of it in a low scoring era, over almost twice as many games as Bure played (1329 games to date vs 702 for Bure).

Oh, but I bet it's all because of how much better Iginla's linemates were!

JA

Is it supposed to make Bure look better that he "chose" not to play defense in his last season in Vancouver and his 2 full seasons in Florida (again, these are his 1st, 2nd, and 4th best seasons from an offensive standpoint)?

Isn't not backchecking generally a choice?
You've said yourself that you don't blame him for playing that way. In his situation, he was expected to play that way, and it was necessary for his team to generate offense.

Perhaps on a better team he is able to play a more complete game while generating similar offensive numbers?

vadim sharifijanov brought this up in the last round:
if we put any comparison between bure and the other players in this round aside, i think moving into the next rounds we need to take jetsalternate's argument seriously.

he has painstakingly pointed out that bure was fine defensively from his rookie year until partway through his last season in vancouver. that's not how i remember '98, but i'm willing to accept that it wasn't until the end when he started goalsucking based on one of his previous videos from that season, in which bure played in a way that flat out did not correspond to my memories of him from that season. but even if don't buy the "he was fine for part of '98" argument, bure was fine defensively up to the '98 season. he also has shown, convincingly, that bure was fine defensively in new york. not a large sample, but that just leaves his florida years and some, possibly all, of '98. the point behind sharing that information about new york is not to give him "credit" for that year; it's to show that bure wasn't inherently a defensive nothing, either for his entire career (which of course would falsify the majority of his career in vancouver), or after his knee problems (because he was fine in new york, so he theoretically could have done it in florida too).

now i am totally fine with the argument that those were bure's highest scoring seasons and that if we accept his goal scoring dominance in those years, we also have to consider that playing one-dimensionally helped him achieve those numbers. i don't know that i agree with it, but that's a debate we probably have to have.

but the real debate, as i suggested upthread, is that we have to figure out what to do with those 2-3 defensively bad years. we know it was a choice, so how do we treat that choice? do we acknowledge that bure had to play that way due to the teams he played on and that under normal circumstances he would have played in the same defensively fine way he did for the rest of his career? and if so, do we therefore excuse his incompleteness in those years in the same way we excuse the lower offensive numbers of guys thrust into highly defensive situations (previously i cited brian propp, but maybe names like scott stevens, jacques lemaire, dave keon, and igor larionov make more sense)?

the argument that none of this matters in this round, relative to the longer completer careers of st. louis and iginla, is a fair point. however, i think moving forward we can't just ignore what jetsalternate is saying about the anomalousness of bure's 2-3 one-dimensional years. what we choose to do with that information, and what conclusions we want to draw from it, is obviously up for debate.

So its Bure's teammates faults he was never top 20 in assists? Funny, having bad teammates didn't seem to hurt Iginla that much, nor did it hurt Schriner or Bathgate. There's a difference between having the skills to do something and actually playing that way.

Ilya Kovalchuk was(is) an excellent passer, but he didn't look for it very often, that's not his game.

Whenever Bure played with Fedorov it seemed like he was just as conscious about feeding crisp passes to Sergei as he was trying to score goals. He proved when he set his mind to it that he could produce a goal-scorer out of anyone (Gino Odjick). Gino actually stated that Pavel did this so that Odjick, in his contract year, would receive a salary increase.

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=38470
Gino Odjick: A lot of times we were on two-on-ones, and on those occasions goal-scorers usually shoot, but I would say 99% of the time he just did a fake shot, froze the goalie, and passed it over to me for an empty net. When he knew [it] was the last year of my contract, he made sure that I got a lot of goals so I would get paid more. He made a conscious decision to do that, and after that was done he took care of his goal scoring.

It proved more fruitful for Bure to make goal-scoring his primary focus in his situations, although when his teammates had opportunities he still fed them the puck. He had that skill, and in appropriate situations he used it. In Vancouver he had a 50-assist season and a 47-assist season with shabby linemates.

Awareness of his circumstances determined how he played. We have to consider that with better linemates not only do his goal totals go up, but also his assist totals. He had the skill, and players like Mark Messier and Igor Larionov knew that and have publicly stated it. He always had to carry the load, though, and it was probably more efficient to score on his own than to feed Gino all season.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In Vancouver he had a 50-assist season and a 47-assist season with shabby linemates.

The only two seasons of Bure's career when he broke 40 assists. Both pretty high-scoring years too. Compare to Jarome Iginla who had seasons of 55, 54, 48, 44, 43, and 40 assists, all in a lower scoring era. Where were you talking about Iginla's untapped playmaking potential? I wonder what this project would look like if we had big-time Calgary fans pushing Iginla at every chance.

More relevant to this round, who exactly were the big time goal scorers Sweeney Schriner played with?

Awareness of his circumstances determined how he played. We have to consider that with better linemates not only do his goal totals go up, but also his assist totals. He had the skill, and players like Mark Messier and Igor Larionov knew that and have publicly stated it. He always had to carry the load, though, and it was probably more efficient to score on his own than to feed Gino all season.

Yes, it's pretty common for stars on bad teams to take the shot themselves rather than setting up teammates.

The issue is when you want to give Bure (but no other players) credit for assists he never actually had, while still giving him full credit for all the goals he scored.

It's why looking at point totals should come first, before looking at goals and assists separately.

For the record, I actually think linemates are relevant, but the amount of extra credit some posters want to give Bure is excessive to the point of being decadent, especially when it seems like other players with weak linemates aren't given similar credit.

Last edited:

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Fun facts: Bure had 0.49 assists per game over his career, which started in a very high scoring era and included almost no play after his prime because he retired due to injuries. Iginla has had 0.46 assists per game over his career, all of it in a low scoring era, over almost twice as many games as Bure played (1329 games to date vs 702 for Bure).

Oh, but I bet it's all because of how much better Iginla's linemates were!

Iginla is already on the list so how is that relevant? :huh:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Iginla is already on the list so how is that relevant? :huh:

Iginla barely got on the list last round, despite not having excuse after excuse made for every weakness in his resume.

I mean, did anyone simply judge Iginla as a goal scorer and ignore his relative lack of assist totals (which are still quite a bit better than Bure's?) If they did, I missed that.

I guess the point is that poor Pavel Bure isn't the only star player to play with weak linemates.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's kind of unfortunate when we are supposed to be adding 5 this round.

That's what happens when, on +- 400 posts

150 focus on an award that somebody got and maybe shouldn't have gotten considering stats.

150 focus on player A being better than player B in playoffs, when the argument is prima facie utterly unreasonable.

And now 60 posts on West Coast Bias.
Great.
****ing Great.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
What's even the point about the 1994 Hart trophy?
Three vote ballot with like 7 players better than Bure, and HV is complaining that he finsihed 12th but should have finished Top 10 or what?

Why does that matter?

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Iginla barely got on the list last round, despite not having excuse after excuse made for every weakness in his resume.
There has to be quite a significant group of voters who has them about 5-8 spots apart.

I mean, did anyone simply judge Iginla as a goal scorer and ignore his relative lack of assist totals (which are still quite a bit better than Bure's?) If they did, I missed that.

I guess the point is that poor Pavel Bure isn't the only star player to play with weak linemates.
I can't remember any Iginla/Jackson comparison.

Even so the point focuses on Jackson's historically striking beneficial situations where he was 2nd or 3rd on his own line in assists and massive GF by his team/line than Bure's/Iginla's weakness.

This is done for Bucyk and was done for Kurri, not for Jackson?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There has to be quite a significant group of voters who has them about 5-8 spots apart.

Even so the point focuses on Jackson's historically striking beneficial situations where he was 2nd or 3rd on his own line in assists and massive GF by his team/line than Bure's/Iginla's weakness.

I think that in general, Jackson was the 2nd best member of his line, but not far behind Conacher.

In 31-32 and 32-33 at least, he was definitely the best member of his line.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1932_leaders.html
http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1933_leaders.html

In 32-33, it was by a wide margin: http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/1933.html. 2nd in scoring in the NHL, way ahead of any teammate.

Jackson has the All-Star votes, the anecdotes, and the selections on "all-time teams" from the era as to his greatness.

I guess I view it this way - Schriner was in a similar situation to Bure but put up quite a bit more points relative to his peers. Jackson had significant career overlap with Schriner and seems to have been a little better. So I rank them Jackson > Schriner > Bure.

Last edited:

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
In 31-32 and 32-33 at least, he was definitely the best member of his line.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1932_leaders.html
http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1933_leaders.html
That's debatable

Jackson has the All-Star votes, the anecdotes, and the selections on "all-time teams" from the era as to his greatness

Sure that's why I have him in my Top 4. It's still easier to amass points/assists when you have teammates that are capable of scoring, I don't know what's the issue with that.

In 32-33, it was by a wide margin: http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/1933.html. 2nd in scoring in the NHL, way ahead of any teammate.

That's the year when Conacher was injured right? Look at his apg comapred to the year before and after.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Sure that's why I have him in my Top 4. It's still easier to amass points/assists when you have teammates that are capable of scoring, I don't know what's the issue with that.

On the other hand, it can be easier to rack up more goals/points when your team's offense runs through you.

See Bathgate and Schriner seeing their point totals decline when they were traded to better teams. See also Pavel Bure generaly rank higher in scoring in the year Vancouver didn't make the playoffs and in his two years in Florida. For more recent examples, see Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk, both of whom saw their point totals decline when they left Atlanta.

I mean, I do think linemates matter (I made that point with regards to Hull and Iginla, though it doesn't seem like many people agreed with me), but it's not always a one-way street in terms of team situation.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
On the other hand, it can be easier to rack up more goals/points when your team's offense runs through you.

See Bathgate and Schriner seeing their point totals decline when they were traded to better teams. See also Pavel Bure generaly rank higher in scoring in the year Vancouver didn't make the playoffs and in his two years in Florida. For more recent examples, see Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk, both of whom saw their point totals decline when they left Atlanta.

I mean, I do think linemates matter (I made that point with regards to Hull and Iginla, though it doesn't seem like many people agreed with me), but it's not always a one-way street in terms of team situation.
Likely my Kurri/Bucyk comparison was wrong, it was more of a situation of mutural benefit.

That's the year when Conacher was injured right? Look at his apg comapred to the year before and after.
Any comments on that? Makes the whole idea go from a theoretical assumption to something that actually happened.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

On Iginla/Jackson : One brought more non-scoresheet aspects than the other. Besides, a few people, me included, brought forward that Iginla's 2nd place in 2004 might have been overly generous, but I took for granted that :
- Most figured that 2nd to 5th was kind of a wash and that the winner - Martin St Louis - was quite ahead of everyone.
- Everybody figured that Luongo got shafted anyways.

In other words, with the limited time I got, I preferred to focus on St-Louis.

Of Kurri, Bucyk (and Jackson) : the first two benefitted from playing with the best player in the league and the top-2 players of all time.

Jackson played with roughly the 40th best player of all time and a guy who is somewhere in the top-200. That's a sizeable difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad