Round 2, Vote 14

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I'm seriously beginning to think this Forum is litered with red wings fans, Forsberg is clearly a class above feds. How many times has fedorov scored more thna 80 points in his career, like 5 times.

Sure fedorov is a better two-way player than Pavel Bure and has stanley cups. However, at least Bure had 5 elite seasons and 2 solid seasons like 2002 and 1995. Fedorov had 2 elite seasons and 2 decent seasons. He only has 300 more hhof monitor points and his career has been two times longer than Bure's. Bure is the greatest nhl russian.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Wings4Life, I am a little shocked that you are going on a tangent of your previous argument. You used to be first and foremost to use the argument that Fedorov slacked off in the regular season as a counter to my argument that clutch and grab + trap era was what he was not built for. Back when I had less tact and we sparred back and forth(I regret those days because I think you are a great poster and I acted like a sour old fart)

You were fairly convincing to me about how Fedorov's slacking ways in the regular season was a part of why you did not like him, and how he could have done better if he wanted to. He was only 26, far from out of his prime, etc

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=11241277#post11241277

wings4life said:
above, not only did Fed's numbers drop after '03 due to age, but they went down in the late 90s due to the fact that he was beyond set for life and had little else to play for. So he visibly slacked in the regular season (another reason why I disliked him) only to pick it up come playoff time. You don't go from 62 points in 82 regular season games to having a 1.0+ PPG average in the playoffs, in the western conference of the clutch and grab era, due to chance.

Among other things, I disagree with a few aspects of your argument. First and foremost being his "4 elite seasons". My definition of Elite season for forwards includes being top 10 in scoring. He had 2 elite seasons, not 4 and a few other superstar seasons. Only 1 all star selection and only 2 years in the top 10 in scoring. Excellent defense or not, the point of the game is to outscore your opponent.

Since Forsberg and Fedorov are again the guys we are making cases for, Ill quote Hockey Outsiders old post

There's a lot of debate about Fedorov's offense vs. Forsberg's, with regards to how high-scoring the era is. Here are my adjusted stats for the two players:

Player|Season|Games played|Goals|Assists|Points|
Sergei Fedorov | 1994 | 80 | 54 | 58 | 112|
Sergei Fedorov | 1996 | 78 | 40 | 65 | 105|
Sergei Fedorov | 2003 | 80 | 44 | 52 | 95|
Sergei Fedorov | 1995 | 72 | 37 | 52 | 88|
Sergei Fedorov | 2002 | 81 | 38 | 42 | 80|
Sergei Fedorov | 1992 | 82 | 30 | 48 | 78|
Sergei Fedorov | 2004 | 80 | 39 | 39 | 78|
Sergei Fedorov | 2001 | 75 | 37 | 39 | 77|
Sergei Fedorov | 1999 | 77 | 32 | 42 | 73|
Sergei Fedorov | 1991 | 79 | 30 | 43 | 72|
Sergei Fedorov | 1993 | 71 | 29 | 42 | 72|
Sergei Fedorov | 2000 | 68 | 32 | 38 | 69|
Sergei Fedorov | 1997 | 74 | 33 | 34 | 67|
Sergei Fedorov | 2007 | 73 | 20 | 24 | 44|
Sergei Fedorov | 2006 | 67 | 13 | 31 | 43|
Sergei Fedorov | 1998 | 21 | 7 | 13 | 20|
TOTAL | 1,158 | 514 | 659 | 1,173

Player|Season|Games played|Goals|Assists|Points|
Peter Forsberg | 2003 | 75 | 35 | 85 | 120|
Peter Forsberg | 1996 | 82 | 31 | 83 | 113|
Peter Forsberg | 1999 | 78 | 37 | 76 | 112|
Peter Forsberg | 1998 | 72 | 30 | 76 | 106|
Peter Forsberg | 2001 | 73 | 31 | 66 | 98|
Peter Forsberg | 1997 | 65 | 31 | 60 | 91|
Peter Forsberg | 1995 | 80 | 28 | 60 | 88|
Peter Forsberg | 2006 | 60 | 20 | 54 | 74|
Peter Forsberg | 2004 | 39 | 22 | 42 | 65|
Peter Forsberg | 2000 | 49 | 16 | 40 | 56|
Peter Forsberg | 2007 | 57 | 14 | 42 | 56|
TOTAL | 730 | 296 | 683 | 980

Fedorov is clearly the better goal-scorer. Forsberg's best adjusted total is 37 goals; Fedorov matches or beats this seven times.

Forsberg is clearly the better playmaker; he breaks Fedorov's career high in assists (65) five times. Forsberg has more assists than Fedorov in nearly 400 fewer games!

In terms of overall offensive ability, Forsberg has a slight edge (four 100-point seasons vs. two; seven 80-point seasons vs. five). Their two-year peaks are virtually equal, but Forsberg pulls away when we compare their 3rd through 5th highest-scoring seasons.

Fedorov obviously has better career totals (being the healthier, more productive player) while Forsberg has better per-game totals (partly due to talent, partly due to (not yet) playing a significant number of games past his prime.

Another thing, as God Bless Canada pointed out. His placement on defense was done as a kick in the pants tactic from Bowman.

In fact, God bless Canada articulated the points I wanted to cover betetr than I could. My real concern going into this post was the direction you were taking it because it was in conflict with previous discussions we have had:P

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I'll send in my votes today...

68. Boris Mikhailov - You knew he was going to be my #1 this time, didn't you?
69. Peter Stastny - Wonderful talent.
70. Frank Brimsek - I think he's the best goalie among the four I had to choose from.
71. Peter Forsberg - Sorry Sergei, if you don't make it this time I'll vote for you next time, I'm pretty sure of it.
72. Ted Kennedy - Great playoff performer.
73. Sprague Cleghorn - 73rd sounds about right to me.
74. Aurele Joliat - This time he finishes ahead of Lach and Fedorov, if you had asked me some other time things could have been different.

Top 7 not added yet (obviously done in hindsight)...

Firsov (although I believe I forgot about him on my original list)
Salming
Larionov
Makarov
Ratelle (might be an odd choice, but he's a personal favorite)
Serge Savard
Bill Quackenbush

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Fedorov over Forsberg for me. Better peak and better career.

I think Forsberg is at a large disadvantage when it comes to the defensive aspects of hockey against a two-way great like Fedorov.

Check out the annual Selke voting in this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=145895&page=5

Fedorov's top 3 results are all better than Forsberg's best season, and he has more top 5 (and top 10) finishes. Not to mention, his 2 Selkes.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Fedorov over Forsberg for me. Better peak and better career.

I think Forsberg is at a large disadvantage when it comes to the defensive aspects of hockey against a two-way great like Fedorov.

Check out the annual Selke voting in this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=145895&page=5

Fedorov's top 3 results are all better than Forsberg's best season, and he has more top 5 (and top 10) finishes. Not to mention, his 2 Selkes.
Forsberg was still high in the voting for the Selke several times and his offensive contributions outweigh Fedorov's offensive contributions more than Fedorov's defense outweighs Forsberg's.

Fedorov only has 2 top 10 point finishes(one 2nd and one 9th) vs Forsberg's 4 top 5 finishes and 5 top 10 finishes. Scoring titles outweigh Selke's

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Forsberg was still high in the voting for the Selke several times and his offensive contributions outweigh Fedorov's offensive contributions more than Fedorov's defense outweighs Forsberg's.

Fedorov only has 2 top 10 point finishes(one 2nd and one 9th) vs Forsberg's 4 top 5 finishes and 5 top 10 finishes. Scoring titles outweigh Selke's

I know you were responding to another poster here, but allow me to chime in.

Forsberg's O over Fedorov's O does not outweigh Fedorov's D over Forsberg's D, imo.

Largely, this is due to the fact that Fedorov faced far, far stiffer competition in his mid 90's heydays than Forsberg did circa his early 2000's heyday.

Compare the top 10 from 1994 (Fedorov's Hart trophy season):

Wayne Gretzky (32 years old)
Sergei Fedorov
Adam Oates
Doug Gilmour
Jeremy Roenick
Pavel Bure
Mark Recchi
Brendan Shanahan
Jaromir Jagr
Dave Andreychuk

To the top 10 from 2003 (Forsberg's Hart trophy season):

Peter Forsberg
Markus Naslund
Joe Thornton
Milan Hejduk
Todd Bertuzzi
Pavol Demitra
Glen Murray
Mario Lemieux (37 years old)
Dany Heatley
Zigmund Palffy

And can you tell me that rating at say #5 on one list is the same as rating #5 on the other? It isn't, as one era was clearly deeper in talent.

Anyways sorry for the side note, Im a little strapped for time tonight, I'll respond to your and GBC's (great) post tomorrow.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Those are names for one single season.

In Forsberg's rookie season, he scored the same amount of points as Fedorov, who was in his fifth season. Among others, Foppa had more points than Gretzky in that season.

In his second season, Foppa beat (among others) Lindros, Fedorov, Gretzky and Messier. If all we're going to do is mention names for any given season to compare talent, I doubt we'll reach any reasonable conclusion from that.

I thought I was done with discussing Fedorov/Forsberg... but I guess not.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I know you were responding to another poster here, but allow me to chime in.

Forsberg's O over Fedorov's O does not outweigh Fedorov's D over Forsberg's D, imo.

Largely, this is due to the fact that Fedorov faced far, far stiffer competition in his mid 90's heydays than Forsberg did circa his early 2000's heyday.

Compare the top 10 from 1994 (Fedorov's Hart trophy season):

Wayne Gretzky (32 years old)
Sergei Fedorov
Adam Oates
Doug Gilmour
Jeremy Roenick
Pavel Bure
Mark Recchi
Brendan Shanahan
Jaromir Jagr
Dave Andreychuk

To the top 10 from 2003 (Forsberg's Hart trophy season):

Peter Forsberg
Markus Naslund
Joe Thornton
Milan Hejduk
Todd Bertuzzi
Pavol Demitra
Glen Murray
Mario Lemieux (37 years old)
Dany Heatley
Zigmund Palffy

And can you tell me that rating at say #5 on one list is the same as rating #5 on the other? It isn't, as one era was clearly deeper in talent.

Anyways sorry for the side note, Im a little strapped for time tonight, I'll respond to your and GBC's (great) post tomorrow.

That's still irrelevant buddy, Fedorov started to suck offensively from 1997 and he continued that streak for his whole career except the 2003 season.

Forsberg has 7 or 8 seasons where he ranked within the top 20 offensively. Fedorov has like 4 at best, hes not even close to Forsberg offensively. Last time I checked being superior offensively is more important, if defence was equal, then bob gainey would make this list already cuz his defence blows Feds defence out of the water.

By the way, in 2003 Forsberg had the best ppg. If Eric Lindros and Cam Neely played enough games, they would have outpointed your beloved Fedorov too.

How can ayone say Fedorov is better, honestly its the dumbest arguement I have ever heard. Lets compare when they both played at the same time.

1995: both scored 50 points, feds did it in less games, but hey this was Forsberg's rookie season.
1996: Forsberg was better
1997:

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
1997: Forsberg was way better, fedorov put up his classic 60 point season, the beginning of the end for feds.
1998: Forsberg was the 2nd best forward, feds sat out the whole year
1999: Forsberg outscored feds by 34 points
2000: Forsberg was injured, but fedorov wasnt exactly putting up elite numbers, forsberg scored at a higher pace and did better in the playoffs.
2001: Forsberg was way better than feds again
2002: Forsberg was injured, but feds put up another 60 point season, so he has nothing to barg about. When Forsberg came back, he won the playoff scoring title.
2003: Forsberg was the best player in the league
2004: Forsberg scored nearly the same amount of points, yet played 40 fewer games and he did well in the playoffs
2006: Forsberg outscored him
2007: Forsberg's worst season and he still outscored fedorov.

How is Fedorov better than Forsberg has been superior his whole career, lol. This is the worst debate i've seen, Forsberg clearly blows him out of the water. Is this forum based in Detriot? Theres way too many red wins fans.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
1997: Forsberg was way better, fedorov put up his classic 60 point season, the beginning of the end for feds.
1998: Forsberg was the 2nd best forward, feds sat out the whole year
1999: Forsberg outscored feds by 34 points
2000: Forsberg was injured, but fedorov wasnt exactly putting up elite numbers, forsberg scored at a higher pace and did better in the playoffs.
2001: Forsberg was way better than feds again
2002: Forsberg was injured, but feds put up another 60 point season, so he has nothing to barg about. When Forsberg came back, he won the playoff scoring title.
2003: Forsberg was the best player in the league
2004: Forsberg scored nearly the same amount of points, yet played 40 fewer games and he did well in the playoffs
2006: Forsberg outscored him
2007: Forsberg's worst season and he still outscored fedorov.

How is Fedorov better than Forsberg has been superior his whole career, lol. This is the worst debate i've seen, Forsberg clearly blows him out of the water. Is this forum based in Detriot? Theres way too many red wins fans.
The problem with this argument is that you are skipping Fedorov's best years because you are only comparing them when they were in the league together. Fedorov's 2 best years cancels out Forsberg's 2 best years to equal.

I am with you regarding Forsberg being much better over the long haul of course. Peak is close, but I give the nod to Forsberg's 02-03 season. He was a dominating force, excellent defensively, and 106 points in 2003 would have been 130 points in 93-94, and he didn't even play a full season.

As for Wings4life, would I say offensively that the 93-94 pool is higher? Heck yes, but not to the degree you imply. It was also still a run and gun scoring league.

Thornton and Heatley had just started their peaks at the time, and both are now multiple time 100 point scorers. Its feasible that they will be considered better than many on the 93-94 top 10 list before the end of their careers. They suffer from the "Have not played enough games yet" stigma.

The argument of their peak years can be taken that way, but they faced the same competition over the next bunch of years, and Forsberg still came out on top.

I am still sorta curious as to what changed your mind on our old argument:P
I used to advocate that Fedorov was not built for the clutch and grab era, etc, and you convincingly argued that it was his effort that dropped his regular season numbers, not the era.

Bah. Ill wait for tonight for you to explain it to me:P

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
That's still irrelevant buddy, Fedorov started to suck offensively from 1997 and he continued that streak for his whole career except the 2003 season.

Forsberg has 7 or 8 seasons where he ranked within the top 20 offensively. Fedorov has like 4 at best, hes not even close to Forsberg offensively. Last time I checked being superior offensively is more important, if defence was equal, then bob gainey would make this list already cuz his defence blows Feds defence out of the water.

By the way, in 2003 Forsberg had the best ppg. If Eric Lindros and Cam Neely played enough games, they would have outpointed your beloved Fedorov too.

How can ayone say Fedorov is better, honestly its the dumbest arguement I have ever heard. Lets compare when they both played at the same time.

1995: both scored 50 points, feds did it in less games, but hey this was Forsberg's rookie season.
1996: Forsberg was better
1997:

Re-read your post, then re-read the guidelines posted in the first post of every voting thread. I listed them below for ease:

Additionally, there are a couple guidelines I'd ask that everyone agree to abide by:
1. Please try to stay on-topic in the thread
2. Please remember that this is a debate on opinions and there is no right or wrong. Please try to avoid words like "stupid" "dumb" "wrong" etc. when debating.
3. Please treat other debaters with respect
4. Please don't be a wallflower. All eligible voters are VERY HIGHLY encouraged to be active participants in the debate.
5. Please maintain an open mind. The purpose of the debate is to convince others that your views are more valid. If nobody is willing to accept their opinions as flexible there really is no point in debating.

Generally, I've been very lax with these but you've been playing very fast and loose with some of these guidelines and I'd like to ask you to tone it down. I know that debates can become overly emotional at times, but when you get riled up maybe you need to step back and calm down before you post your replies. Your input on the players has been very useful in this process, but your occasional insults and condesening posts towards other debaters are distrating from your points and really not something that belongs here.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I think another way to end this debate between forsberg and feds is to point to the fact that in 97,98,99, 2002 playoffs, 2003 and 2004, Forsberg was better than his own teammate, a prime joe sakic. While fedorov was in the shadows of an aging Yzerman from 97-2002. Thats just sad.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I think another way to end this debate between forsberg and feds is to point to the fact that in 97,98,99, 2002 playoffs, 2003 and 2004, Forsberg was better than his own teammate, a prime joe sakic. While fedorov was in the shadows of an aging Yzerman from 97-2002. Thats just sad.

Not sure why Im going to bother, your mind is obviously closed.

I assume youre referring to only 98, 00, and 02...and I believe youre forgetting whose line a prime Shanahan played on during this stint.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Not sure why Im going to bother, your mind is obviously closed.

I assume youre referring to only 98, 00, and 02...and I believe youre forgetting whose line a prime Shanahan played on during this stint.

Dude for most of fedorov's career he was a mediocre player, he was elite for 4/17 seasons, why he is even up for debate, i'm not even sure.

I understand you love your red wings and you will support fedorov. However, Forsberg dominated for a whole era and fedorov didnt.

3 first all star team selections is more impressive than one.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Dude for most of fedorov's career he was a mediocre player, he was elite for 4/17 seasons, why he is even up for debate, i'm not even sure.

I understand you love your red wings and you will support fedorov. However, Forsberg dominated for a whole era and fedorov didnt.

3 first all star team selections is more impressive than one.

Ok, while I think Fedorov is not as good as Forsberg, you are horrendously over exaggerating.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
This might be the toughest round for me yet, so very little to choose between with most of these guys. Still awaiting some final arguments, but right now I thinking:

1. Sprague Cleghorn. Seems to have been very highly regarded by those who watched him play. If he's considered in the same light as Shore and Taylor, he is well deserving of top spot in this vote

2. Frank Brimsek. An eight-time all-star, and had his peak cut off by the war. Very good record in Hart voting for a goaltender.

3. Boris Mikhailov. Very good longevity, 8 time all-star in the Soviet Union and a pair of MVPs when the league was very strong. Dominant at the World Championships.

4. Aurel Joliat. Not always the very best, but one of them for a long time. Played a gritty game to go along with his offensive abilities.

5. Peter Stastny. One of the best offensive players in the world for a decade, strong international resume.

6. Elmer Lach. Part of me wants to put Lach higher, but two things bug me a little. Only two great seasons outside of the war years, and his playoff scoring took a big nose-dive after 1945-46 (which was still more or less a war year since all the returning players had years worth of rust to shake off).

7. Ted Kennedy. Loaded with intangibles and a superb playoff performer. I very nearly voted for him in the last round, so it seems strange to have him just scraping in this time around.

I'm more or less set on the top three, but I'm flip-flopping on the order of my last four constantly. Any final persuasions?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
My (brief) case for Bower is that he combines the best of both worlds. One of Hasek's greatest accomplishments is that he routinely led the league in save percentage (six times during his career). One of Roy's greatest accomplishments is that he had so much playoff success (multiple Stanley Cups and Conn Smythes). Johnny Bower, I think, has a great balance between those two qualities.

Bower performed well from a regular season, individual statistical perspective. He led the league in save percentage five times, more than any goalie in history not named Hasek. Granted he never approached the Dominator's margin of dominance in that category, but then again Hasek never faced off against quite as much elite goaltending talent as Bower did (Hall, Sawchuk, Plante). If you consider save percentage an important indicator, than Bower is likely one of the top five regular season goalies based on the data we have. He had the best career save percentage of any goalie in the Original Six era, even beating Plante, Sawchuk and Hall (source: The Hockey Compendium).

On top of that, Bower was a dominant playoff goalie, from a team and individual perspective. Bower won four Stanley Cups (three as a starter) and a retro Conn Smythe for 1963. That year, Bower had a staggering 94.9% save percentage as the Leafs, outshot in seven of ten games, won the Cup [source]. Bower led the playoffs in save percentage three times indicating that he wasn't just along for the ride.

Bower's lack of individual awards (just one all-star selection) is a bit puzzling but keep in mind that save percentage, arguably the most reliable individual goalie stat, was never officially compiled when he was in the league. (It was compiled many years later by dedicated hockey research Edward Yuen). Imagine trying to decide the modern Vezina/all-stars without save percentage -- chances are the voters would make different decisions and by definition they'd likely penalize goalies with good (unrecorded) save percentages. I don't know exactly how many all-star selections Bower deserved, but it's unfair to hold the lack AS spots against him when his biggest claim to success wasn't even recorded when the voting took place.

I'm not sure where exactly I'd rank Bower but he's definitely in my top seven this round.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
For those claiming Forsberg was better in '96:

Fedorov played 4 less games and finished the season playing on defence. As a forward, he was (off the top of my head) on pace for 117 points (About time for a link re his playing defence: http://redwings.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=NHLPage&bcid=his_wol_wol-sergeifedorov ). So he would have surpassed Forsberg had the team not needed him as a defenseman.

He was also the Selke winner, whereas Forsberg was outside of the top 30 in Selke voting that year.

Most convincingly, he was #5 in Hart trophy voting, his second top 5 finish in 3 years...Forsberg has only 1 top 5 finish in his career, which indicates to me who had the better peak (see BM67's stats in this thread).

Wings4Life, I am a little shocked that you are going on a tangent of your previous argument. You used to be first and foremost to use the argument that Fedorov slacked off in the regular season as a counter to my argument that clutch and grab + trap era was what he was not built for. Back when I had less tact and we sparred back and forth(I regret those days because I think you are a great poster and I acted like a sour old fart)

You were fairly convincing to me about how Fedorov's slacking ways in the regular season was a part of why you did not like him, and how he could have done better if he wanted to. He was only 26, far from out of his prime, etc

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=11241277#post11241277

Among other things, I disagree with a few aspects of your argument. First and foremost being his "4 elite seasons". My definition of Elite season for forwards includes being top 10 in scoring. He had 2 elite seasons, not 4 and a few other superstar seasons. Only 1 all star selection and only 2 years in the top 10 in scoring. Excellent defense or not, the point of the game is to outscore your opponent.

Since Forsberg and Fedorov are again the guys we are making cases for, Ill quote Hockey Outsiders old post

Another thing, as God Bless Canada pointed out. His placement on defense was done as a kick in the pants tactic from Bowman.

In fact, God bless Canada articulated the points I wanted to cover betetr than I could. My real concern going into this post was the direction you were taking it because it was in conflict with previous discussions we have had:P

Thornton! How do you find the time to dig up/remember my posts from last year? Don't worry, I'm sure I was just as sour back in those days...bygones. :D

Not sure you read my entire post, but I did state that the layoff was not the only factor in Fedorov's inconsistencies (and that perhaps effort played a role as well). My position last year was the same as now: that the layoff did hurt him (perhaps I can search for one of my old posts later); in the thread you pointed out I was merely highliting the fact that Fedorov was one of those rare players whose PPG's would go up come playoff time.

As to his number of elite seasons, he was better than both LeClaire and Messier (#'s 9 and 10 in scoring, respectively) in 94-95 and in fact he was 9th in PPG. He played 42 out of 48 games (a very solid sample size) so he deserves credit for being an elite-level (ie: top 10) scorer for 3 consecutive seasons. PPG has always been the #1 stat for you and I, so please give credit where credit is due! :handclap:

Next, adjusted stats do have many problems, remember that...one of them being the era-talent-differential I mentioned earlier. It's up to each poster to decide on how much weight they put into them (I don't put much at all).

Lastly, I hope you're not demeaning his defensive stints as "kick in the pants tactics"? Why would Bowman do that to him after reaching 100 points in 70 games as a forwad in '96? He was #5 in Hart trophy voting yet needed a kick in the pants? Or in the middle of the playoffs against the Avs, Bowman would not have done this unless he thought that it helped the team...which is why Hitchcock used him on D, and even Boudreau for one playoff game this year.

Again, versatility such as this ought to be rewarded, not punished.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Wings, those are some excellent arguments for Fedorov. Not that I agree with them, but they're well-thought-out and expressed. Some of the lesser lights who have posted in these threads could learn a thing or two.

Just a few rebuttals:
*On the four straight 20-point playoffs. It's impressive. But I think at least half his points came in the four-game sweep of San Jose. It was a message sending series for Fedorov, since he wasn't great the year before against the Sharks, and earned a suspension thanks to the 1994 series. But Detroit outscored the Sharks 24-6 in 1995. Fedorov wasn't nearly as good in the final two rounds. And he left a lot of people wanting after his performance in the 1996 playoffs.
*I wouldn't say he was dominant in 1992-93. It was a strong year for him, but keep in mind that there were 20-ish 100-point players that year, and several more who scored at the 100-point clip. He was really good, but not dominant.
*He left a lot of people wanting more in 1995 and 1995-96. It wasn't that he played poorly, but expectations were so high after 1993-94, and he just didn't play at that high level on a regular basis. I thought in 1995-96 that Yzerman was Detroit's best player. I don't think he would have finished top 10 in Hart voting in 1995, thanks to the outstanding season that Paul Coffey had.
*As I said before, the shift to defence was often done as a way to motivate him. I don't think he was happy playing on the blue-line. Sometimes it was done as an injury substitute. Did a motivated, playing at or close to his potential Fedorov play defence for Detroit when the Red Wings blue-liners were healthy? And he never played defence for an extended period of time. There's a world of difference between Fedorov's tours of duty on the blue-line, and those of a Red Kelly or a Dit Clapper.
*Made my case countless times for the lack of legitimacy for the Selkes of Fedorov, Francis and Gilmour.
*Word to the wise: all-star game appearances are generally viewed as a last-ditch, desperation argument in these parts.
*The five-goal game in 1996-97 was impressive. It was the last one for the next 11 years. But to a certain extent, I think it's very indicative of Fedorov post-1994. When he wanted to, he could dominate. There wasn't a player like him in the league. But he didn't always deliver. He had the ability to dominate. And when he wanted to, he did it. But too many nights where it looked like he was just out for a skate, and he didn't do much.
*Ray Sheppard was actually a very, very good goal scorer. I don't know why Fedorov and Sheppard clicked - Sheppard was a terrible skater, but he had great hands in tight, a nose for the net and just overall excellent scorer's instincts. A 38-goal rookie year in Buffalo, 35 goals in 65 games with San Jose and Florida in 1996 are proof that Sheppard could deliver offensively without Fedorov. I don't think he was an ideal linemate due to his limited mobility, but he was definitely a guy a playmaking centre would want for a linemate.

I don't know why his play tailed off in the regular season so much after 1995-96. I don't think it was the layoff. I've seen a lot of guys take an extended layoff due to contract squabbles. Most of them responded by playing some of their best hockey afterwards. Did Fedorov get comfortable from 1998-99 to 2001-02 because of the front-end loaded contract? Perhaps. He had his money after the 1998 playoffs. And when the contract expired in 02-03, he had his best regular season in nearly a decade. After that, it was mostly forgetable hockey, until he got to Washington.

I don't care about the supporting cast when it comes to Fedorov. I won't use it against him. My only concern was Fedorov's ability to deliver in the playoffs when he was the go-to-guy, the guy that the opposition keyed on. For most of his Detroit career, the go-to guy was Yzerman. When it was Fedorov in the playoffs (except for the series against San Jose in 1995), Fedorov was ineffective in that role.

Fedorov's inconsistency and frequent apathy has been and will be used against him. For most of his career, the word "apathy" has dogged him.

GBC, thank you for the props. You've given me some very good arguments, let me give you some rebuttals in the same format you laid them out in:

-Fedorov did play well in the final 2 rounds in '95! He suffered a seperated shoulder halfway through game 3 in the Chicago series, but injured, against New Jersey, he put up 3 goals and 5 Points in the 4 game sweep...Detroit only scored 7 goals in the entire series, and Fedorov was involved in 5 of them. He was the only player the Devils could not contain.

-He was only 22 in 92/93, and I concede not quite dominant per se...but it was still a very solid year, offensively and defensively.

-You may be getting your seasons mixed up here, I don't know...Fedorov was top 5 in Hart voting in '96 and outscored Yzerman by 3 goals/12 points in 2 less GP...in the playoffs both guys were 20 Pts in 18 GP as forwards, but in the one game YZerman missed Fedorov played on D in a 3-0 loss to Colorado. Admittedly, Don Cherry/other media were all over Fedorov that year because he scored only 2 goals in the playoffs, but they failed to mention that he led the playoffs in assists, and spent a game on D.

-Fedorov would have, imo, easily cracked the top 10 in Hart voting in 1995, if the format allowed it (there were only 6 players voted in). My reasoning:

1996: 9th in scoring, 7th in PPG, 1st in Selke voting --> 5th in Hart voting
2003: T-12th in scoring, 12th in PPG, 8th in Selke voting --> 9th in Hart voting

1995: T-14th in scoring, 9th in PPG, 4th in Selke voting --> _____

(Spots 7-10 were available. Not to mention, he was the top scoring forward on a team that was the runaway President's trophy winner and known for their offence.)

-To answer your question, see the response I gave Thornton: yes! A motivated/healthy Feds was placed on D at times, such as the end of his stellar 96 season or in the 96 playoffs, to name a few times...though you are correct when you say that it was sometimes done as a way of simply motivating him, such as his stint at the end of 96-97 where he was having a slightly under PPG season for the first time in his career (bad by his standards). Still, how many all-star forwards do you see serving as defenceman in this day and age? Or in Fedorov's day and age?

The fact that he spent so many games on D ought to be rewarded in lists such as these.

-I would very much like to hear your case! Ive heard people question Gilmour's Selke, but seldom Fedorov's. In fact in 1992, when the emphasis was on shutdown forwards (Carbonneau ended up winning it) Fedorov was second in the voting and 1st in first place votes...as Jet mentioned, even this year he did better than Forsberg's top defensive season.

-Your opinion of Fedorov post-94 is pretty reasonable when applied to him post 97. Personally I believe it was several things: age, missing 3/4 of a season, effort, and also icetime in Bowman's system.

In fact, his IT was way down in his first post-layoff year, he was averaging 17 minutes and had a horrible PPG, but when it was bumped to 23 minutes over the last 20+ games, Fedorov was on pace for 102 points! (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A06E7DF133AF936A25751C0A96F958260).

Check out the NHL stats machine at NHL.com --> stats (http://www.nhl.com/cgi-bin/supersta...ar&playerType=skater&season=19981999&team=COL), a 28 year old Fedorov was getting only 19:20 minutes per game (due to Bowman rolling 4 lines ever since the Devils series)...whereas other superstars such as Joe Sakic were clocking at 25:40, due to Colorado NOT rolling 4 lines in this way. (The trend continues in later years)

The Detroit system bred success, but in the mid-to-late 90's it hurt individual player statistics in a big way.

-Regarding all-star games: point taken! :D

-Regarding Ray Sheppard: he was a decent scorer, yes. But when Yzerman went down, Fedorov took over the first line on what many thought was the best team in the league...and on that first line he had...Ray Sheppard? Ray was good enough to be a solid second liner on most teams but he was definitely more along for the ride than anything on Detroit's first line, imo. And as you said, his slowness rendered Fedorov's speed and stickhandling skills somewhat ineffective.

Anyway, it's been fun, I believe the deadline for voting is tonight, unless we get another extension. Cheers and thanks for the well-thought ought response!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad