Real Madrid
Copa del Rey: 2013–14
UEFA Champions League: 2013–14
UEFA Super Cup: 2014
FIFA Club World Cup: 2014

Bayern Munich
Bundesliga: 2016–17
DFL-Supercup: 2016, 2017

I am not adding another name because of the Howe trolling in the last thread, and now there is an even 10 to vote on.

Voted for Conte again and adding Sarri again

Add tracker
Blanc - 1.5
Nagelsmann - 1
Rodgers - 1
Sampioli - 2.5
Sarri - 4
Spalletti - 1
Tuchel - 1

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Delete Wenger, Zidane, Jardim

Add Tuchel, Sarri, Nagelsmann, Sampaoli

Why delete Zidane, Wenger and Jardim and add Tuchel or Nageslmann? Besides homerism of course?

I don't rate ZZ, but his trophy case is insane.
Wenger is toasted and IMO not a top 10 coach. Still, his history alone makes him more valuable than some guys who never won anything but a german cup.
Jardim achieved more in one year than Tuchel and Nagelsmann in their career.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Delete Wenger, Zidane, Jardim

Add Tuchel, Sarri, Nagelsmann, Sampaoli

pick one please :)

Zidane deserves to be in there. Wenger does too. Jardim is in because I wanted at least one manager from each of the top four leagues.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is why I have a problem with these polls (nothing against you Savant). You have a humongous overvalued manager in Ancelotti not only winning above other managers, but winning 1st overall. The whole poll is now destroyed because of this; I can name you at least 5-8 managers I would want over Carlo.

Overall the managers of football fall into two distinct categories; similar to the NHL. Number one, managers who've had success with bigger clubs and because they had that success will always be hired by bigger clubs while they're not very good managers. Examples of these are Rafael Benitez and Roberto Mancini. Then you have superior managers who are in the midtable clubs for perhaps a long part of their careers until these bigger teams finally realise you could've had them five years ago. These managers are the likes of Bielsa, Sampaoli, Vitoria, and Eduardo Berizzo.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Why delete Zidane, Wenger and Jardim and add Tuchel or Nageslmann? Besides homerism of course?

I don't rate ZZ, but his trophy case is insane.
Wenger is toasted and IMO not a top 10 coach. Still, his history alone makes him more valuable than some guys who never won anything but a german cup.
Jardim achieved more in one year than Tuchel and Nagelsmann in their career.

Why defend ZZ, Wenger, and Jardim apart from homerism of course

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is why I have a problem with these polls. You have a humongous overrated manager in Ancelotti not only winning above other managers, but winning 1st overall. The whole poll is now destroyed because of this; I can name you at least 5-8 managers I would want over Carlo.

I don't feel Ancelotti is overrated at all. He wins. He is a great choice at one. Vote for who you think is better and campaign if you wish.

I think the managerial talent right now is better than it's ever been. And a lot of managers are going to be close together in terms of rating. Ancelotti won the last round by one vote. It's close.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I've said for years I didn't rate ZZ. I said Jardim had many doubts on him. I said Wenger was done.
Still you've given zero argument as to put your two german coaches above these.

So yeah, homerism.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Poll was made by an EPL fan and currently 6 of 10 choices are coaching in the EPL

German homerism is the problem though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I have explained many times in the past how I evaluate coaches and don't feel the need to do so again.

There is no uniform criteria, but there isn't a criteria to define what an MVP is either. I think all four of those names will make the list. But for now, start with one.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Poll was made by an EPL fan and currently 6 of 10 choices are coaching in the EPL

German homerism is the problem though.

That's not entirely fair.

Mourinho is a no brainer.

Pochettino is very highly regarded and could easily be coaching Barca over Valverde right now if he wasn't loyal to Tottenham (and Espanyol possibly). He is very highly regarded.

Klopp made his name in Germany, and is really on here in that merit

Guardiola has only has success in Spain and Germany so far.

Wenger deserves to be in the 10-15 range even if he has dropped a bit.

Tuchel doesn't have a team right now. Nagelsmann has had one season.

Names are being added, but the ones that are one there have a more proven track record.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
That's not entirely fair.

Mourinho is a no brainer.

Pochettino is very highly regarded and could easily be coaching Barca over Valverde right now if he wasn't loyal to Tottenham (and Espanyol possibly). He is very highly regarded.

Klopp made his name in Germany, and is really on here in that merit

Guardiola has only has success in Spain and Germany so far.

Wenger deserves to be in the 10-15 range even if he has dropped a bit.

Tuchel doesn't have a team right now. Nagelsmann has had one season.

Names are being added, but the ones that are one there have a more proven track record.

They're all good coaches in different ways. I would have questioned Mou, Poch, and Wenger being "consensus" choices above those whom I named. I emphasize how the coach transforms the team and how effective his tactics are more than what trophies he wins with a superior team though. I prefer all of Sarri, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, and Sampaoli from that perspective to those three. And I don't think they're less proven than Poch either. List is definitely overly EPL-centric.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They're all good coaches in different ways. I would have questioned Mou, Poch, and Wenger being "consensus" choices above those whom I named. I emphasize how the coach transforms the team and how effective his tactics are more than what trophies he wins with a superior team though. I prefer all of Sarri, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, and Sampaoli from that perspective to those three. And I don't think they're less proven than Poch either. List is definitely overly EPL-centric.

Because the PL hired Klopp and Guardiola from Germany, and brought Mourinho back within the last 2.5 years. They have imported managerial talent.

Tuchel doesn't have a team so I didn't put him on. Sarri would probably been on if I didn't throw away the Howe (PL guy too) troll votes.

Vote the people that you want in and then we will see what happens.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Poch indeed I don't see.
What has he done to be ranked above Sampaoli, Blanc, heck, Didier Deschamps too (league titles, CL final, EL final) or Low.

Look at Blanc, he reached the CL QF with Bordeaux (won their group above Bayern and Juventus) and won the title defeating expectations, won several titles with PSG and reached the CL QF with away goals losses to Barca and Chelsea.

Deschamps won league titles and reached the CL final beating Real Madrid's galacticos and Chelsea along the way. He also reached an EL final, defeating WC Germany on the way.

Low has achieved quite a few things with his NT too.

How would Pocchetino be ranked above these? Except EPL hype?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sarri. All of the guys DM listed should be there though

And I am sure that they will make it on sooner than later.

Tuchel was not on because he doesn't have a team. Sampioli was not on because he is International manager, and I wanted to get those guys in later. Sarri is whom I voted to go next as well. Nagelsmann I figured would be added on but he hasn't done enough, or coached long enough.

Can't make everyone happy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Poch indeed I don't see.
What has he done to be ranked above Sampaoli, Blanc, heck, Didier Deschamps too (league titles, CL final, EL final) or Low.

Look at Blanc, he reached the CL QF with Bordeaux (won their group above Bayern and Juventus) and won the title defeating expectations, won several titles with PSG and reached the CL QF with away goals losses to Barca and Chelsea.

Deschamps won league titles and reached the CL final beating Real Madrid's galacticos and Chelsea along the way. He also reached an EL final, defeating WC Germany on the way.

Low has achieved quite a few things with his NT too.

How would Pocchetino be ranked above these? Except EPL hype?

Deschamps, Low and Sampioli are international managers. Starting with Club, because it is a more
Full time position.

Blanc, like Tuchel, does not have a job.

These are names that will be voted in though.

I think that there is a clear top 5 (and the votes are showing that as well) and then it's a free for all.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Anyway, I don't have a problem with guys here that don't belong in the top 10, you just don't vote for them and period.
But the guys I stated IMO have more valid grounds to be added than some hyped names thrown around about guys that never won anything.
If it's only about style or revolutionnary styles, then Bielsa should be #1. So you can't stress style and hype and not vote for Bielsa.
So yeah homerism blindness to add those german guys.

Don't get why we shouldn't consider international coaches though. They acted in clubs before too.
Not having a job isn't exactly a problem either to me.

Anyway, too bad you put anonymity for votes. You shouldn't.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

If that's your criteria then surely Eddie Howe belongs on the list.:D

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Anyway, I don't have a problem with guys here that don't belong in the top 10, you just don't vote for them and period.
But the guys I stated IMO have more valid grounds to be added than some hyped names thrown around about guys that never won anything.
If it's only about style or revolutionnary styles, then Bielsa should be #1. So you can't stress style and hype and not vote for Bielsa.
So yeah homerism blindness to add those german guys.

Don't get why we shouldn't consider international coaches though. They acted in clubs before too.
Not having a job isn't exactly a problem either to me.

Anyway, too bad you put anonymity for votes. You shouldn't.

I didn't say style or influence either. Bielsa doesn't belong in the top 10. He has been very influential but his style of pressing is crude and ineffective in its emphasis on man-marking instead of other schemes, and his results really aren't that impressive. He's an interesting character more than a top manager.

Sarri and Sampaoli are noted Germans too and I am being a homer for them. The four coaches I named have something in common, but it's definitely not their nationality.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I didn't say style or influence either. Bielsa doesn't belong in the top 10. He has been very influential but his style of pressing is crude and ineffective in its emphasis on man-marking instead of other schemes, and his results really aren't that impressive. He's an interesting character more than a top manager.

Sarri and Sampaoli are noted Germans too and I am being a homer for them. The four coaches I named have something in common, but it's definitely not their nationality.

Except I made it clear I had a problem with the two german coaches, not the other two. Read what I wrote again.

And yes on style and influence as well as what you call "team transformation", Bielsa is easily top 10. Probably top 5. He also makes players progress more than almost any coach out there. I'd say his tactics have proven to be successful as well (see Athletic). Certainly more than a 3rd place in the german league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad