Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 48, Carter Hart, G, Everett (WHL)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
S

Stolarz has played 7 NHL games.

2.07 GAA and .928 SV%

I would hate to trade him when he could be an NHL level goalie.

Lyon 11 games: 2.75 GAA and .905 SV%

SSS

Miniscule sample sizes for both. Stolarz exhibited atrocious rebound control in his brief NHL stint, and was probably lucky to put up those stats, and that was before multiple knee injuries (also, his AHL stats over a much larger sample are middle of the pack for AHL goalies). Lyon had some brutal performances mixed into his 11 game NHL stint, not exactly earning an NHL spot when he had a golden opportunity (hence the Mrazek trade, who was even worse). To Lyon's credit, he at least had a hot 2nd half (and most of the playoffs) in the AHL, but I really don't think he's a guy on which you feel comfortable placing your NHL playoff hopes if your NHL starter gets hurt.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Tbf to Lyon he was arguably the best goalie over the season for the Flyers... of course, he had some bad moments and is a very small sample... but less bad moments than any of the other goalies.
Eh, he gave up at least 3 goals in 5 of his 11 appearances (and one of his 11 appearances was only 8 minutes, which shouldn't really count).
He only played 5 full games, got pulled in 2 of his 7 starts.

I'll give you that he was better than Mrazek, but Neuvirth overall was better than Lyon (both had bad moments, Neuvirth had more good ones).

Elliott gave up at least 3 goals in 19 of his 43 appearances. Slightly better ratio than Lyon. Also had a slightly better save % than Lyon .909 vs. .905.

So the only goalie I'd say Lyon was better than was Mrazek.

Reactions: Striiker

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Neuvirth is a good goalie but he is might be literally the most injury prone goalie in the league. He can't be counted on. Elliott is the definition of average. Mrazek is garbage. The expectations weren't all that high for Lyon that might be a factor but I thought he played pretty well in the small NHL sample size we saw from him. In a perfect world I would cut bait with glass man, average man, and garbage man, and bring someone in via trade and make Lyon the back up. Sadly it will likely be another year of Elliott being mediocre at best and Neuvirth having a "lower body injury" for most of the year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m gonna make a bold prediction and say that Neuvirths new training makes a difference and he doesn’t have a major injury all year (nothing that keeps him out for more than a week at a time).

Reactions: Morinisbear

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You can talk GAA all you want a lot of the time you have to look at the team in front of him. Quality chances against , lucky bounces deflections etc ... can bugger stats up badly

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’m gonna make a bold prediction and say that Neuvirths new training makes a difference and he doesn’t have a major injury all year (nothing that keeps him out for more than a week at a time).

Knowing him, he'll be injured during his "new training."

Theres zero chance of an injury-free season from Neuvirth.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Knowing him, he'll be injured during his "new training."

Theres zero chance of an injury-free season from Neuvirth.
Oh no no no no no
Not injury-free, I'm not insane. I'm saying nothing long-ish term (week+). Maybe a bunch of short-ish term injuries.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Oh no no no no no
Not injury-free, I'm not insane. I'm saying nothing long-ish term (week+). Maybe a bunch of short-ish term injuries.

Thats as optimistic an outlook as one could possibly hope for.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Mark this down - if Carter Hart during the first month of his NHL career doesn't like Jacques Plante and Ken Dryden then there will be an element immediately calling him a bust.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Eh, he gave up at least 3 goals in 5 of his 11 appearances (and one of his 11 appearances was only 8 minutes, which shouldn't really count).
He only played 5 full games, got pulled in 2 of his 7 starts.

I'll give you that he was better than Mrazek, but Neuvirth overall was better than Lyon (both had bad moments, Neuvirth had more good ones).

Elliott gave up at least 3 goals in 19 of his 43 appearances. Slightly better ratio than Lyon. Also had a slightly better save % than Lyon .909 vs. .905.

So the only goalie I'd say Lyon was better than was Mrazek.

You are probably right on reflection with Neuvirth... he was the best when he played, but because of how injured he was all year easy to forget that.

Lyon did have both a better sSV% (sv% vs exSV%) than Elliott and also a better GSAA though.

He also had the best High Danger sv% on the team, and best Low Danger sv% too. Albeit his MD sv% was the worst.

I mean, either way he is at best a ~solid backup going forward I think.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Mark this down - if Carter Hart during the first month of his NHL career doesn't like Jacques Plante and Ken Dryden then there will be an element immediately calling him a bust.

As long as he likes Hextall and Parent :propeller

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lyon has a really small NHL sample size, but I think he did enough to avoid being put on waivers In October.

Unless he's bad at training camp.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Not this guy. Its going to take him.some time. Even when he finally makes the NHL the idea that he will come right in and carry the load for a contending team is probably wishful thinking. All the more reason to add a decent goalie and to not buy into the idea that Elliott/Neuvirth are/were just place holders for Hart.

Reactions: Tripod

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
During the beginning of the season before Elliott got hurt, he played pretty well. No one was really talking crap about him then. But after his injury and Hakstols poor usage of him in the playoffs, he is easy to be hated on. He looked useless. We should have went with Mrazec/Lyon in the playoffs, and written off Elliott / Nuevirth against the pens.

That being said, i think Elliott/Nuevirth/Lyon are all useless at the NHL level now. I would get rid of both of em. And target someone new. Rinne?? for 1 more year, share the net with Hart. Have Lyon and Stolarz play AHL duties again. If hart cant handle sharing the net, send him down, bring up whomever is better out of Stolarz / Lyon. Which i still believe is Stolarz.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Hextall wouldn't axe the guys with experience for Hart to begin in the NHL this year. This is coming from someone that thinks it's more likely than not Hart sees NHL time this season.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Will come down to camp. Barring an injury, one of Neuvirth/Stolarz/Lyons will be sent down and another will be sent packing/traded. Elliott will be the starter unless he is that injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad