GDT: Round 2, Game 1: Avs @ Fish | 8 PM MT | 26 April, 2019

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
The Avs need to be relentless with their speed and transition game. Run em down and keep the pressure on Jones. Possession and instant breakout. They're not only good at it, but I think will be SJs kryptonite too.

Trying to match the Sharks' physical game is just a recipe for disaster.

Agreed. Their speed, moving their feet in the forecheck.. apply that for 60 minutes and this is what ground teams down in the last 10+ games of the season, and the Flames simply could not match it. Reclaim that and things look much brighter.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Girard was clearly rusty and wasn't good at all but neither were many others. Benching him after this game wouldn't be a smart call IMO.

People filled up pages of the GDT ripping Rantanen in his first game back as well when they lost. It's one game. Relax.
Thanks for reminding me, Mikko is a **** for allowing Lebanc look like a 50 goal scorer. Completely and unnecessary play there to try and go for the hit where it was so easy to bypass it.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
They just looked complacent on that PP which gave SJ life. Huge kill and we looked too cocky and passive

Not complacent... flummoxed would be a better word. They had no answer to the pressure San Jose brought upon them. Avs like to move the puck around and quickly. The only way they could get passes to connect was to stretch out as wide in the zone (and as far away from one another) as was possible. Which made the return pass more difficult.

They ended up just passing the puck around the periphery w/few dangerous shots.

That's an adjustment that MUST be made if they are going to have a chance to win this series.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think Girard needs to sit next game. He doesn’t have that IT factor you need in the playoffs quite yet. He looked scared and he looked lost and made some pretty boneheaded decisions. I love the guy and think he’s great but Nemeth did great for us last series and Girard just doesn’t seem ready yet for the big stage like Makar has shown.
Girard was awesome in the first round. Give him a break we need him if we're going to win this series.

Reactions: klozge and cgf

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The Avs had 15 giveaways. That's a lot. So many forced passes especially on the PP. They really need to clean that up. I don't think it was that bad of a game except for that 2nd half of the 2nd period. They did have a lot of grade A chances but Jones had a great game. They also need to cover that RD a lot better. That's their bread and butter.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Like some of said the game took a 180 right after we didn’t convert on the 4 minute power play. The Sharks took over after that and outside of the top line generating some pressure we looked sloppy.

I’m happy we lost 5-2 because it’s a wake up call for an inexperienced team like us. The first round means nothing now. San Jose is a different beast and we’re in a 7 game series. The good thing is is that I still believe we can beat these guys. Our boys should too. Let’s gear up for Game 2 and take one in the tank!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well that was a fun game. Pity we couldn't capitalize when we had the chance to grab the game by the throat or push them back again when they recaptured the momentum in the 2nd. But all in all that was some fun hockey in a game I expected to lose; given our record off a long break.

That 4-min major that we failed to make us off really ended up putting some pep in their step, while letting some of the air out of our tires, which helped them demonstrate their class as soon thereafter we had the mistake which resulted in the equalizer, followed by Lebanc's magnificent winner, and ultimately the unfortunate bounce that made it 2-4...but we successfully used our speed to force turnovers & disrupt their breakouts until then, even when they seemed to start adapting in the middle 5-7 minutes of the 1st.

So like game 1 of the calgary series, there's a lot of good to be taken from this loss. Certainly never happy to lose the opener, but if Bednar can counter-adjust again and our speed can put them on their heels like they were in the first half, we just may end up heading back to denver with the split that we wanted.

PS - lowkey really curious to see what would happen if we stuck Jost in Soda's spot between Wilson & Mikko with how well he's playing. Those two, more than any other avs, can play at his pace and help create the space he needs to utilize his skills. Plus Soda's just not been thriving in that spot, reunite him with Calvert & longbeach and surround Brassard with the speed of Jimmothy & Gork if we don't go 11-7 in the next one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thanks for reminding me, Mikko is a **** for allowing Lebanc look like a 50 goal scorer. Completely and unnecessary play there to try and go for the hit where it was so easy to bypass it.

Oh come on, even after mikko missed that hit it took a remarkable play from Lebanc to score. All you can do on those is tip your cap to the guy & go to work at the other end.
Girard was awesome in the first round. Give him a break we need him if we're going to win this series.

I dunno...

measuring-height.gif

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Girard had a bruuuuutal game, but I hope most of that is just because he has sat for so long. Hopefully he gets back to playing as well as he did before he got injured against Calgary.

I don't think we should have changed the lineup. We should have stuck what got us to SJ in the 1st place.

Barrie and Girard together was a dumpster fire. We need a guy like Nemeth with one of them to win puck battles down low.

I'd sit Girard and Brassard and insert Nemeth and Andrighetto. Keep it the same as we had vs Calgary.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I don't understand the hate for Brassard our 4th line has been our second best line tonight. But i agree for change Soderberg with Calvert-Nieto, Compher with Bourque and Brassard. And Jost with Rantanen and Wilson.
On 2nd and 3rd goal it's really Girard fault?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't think we should have changed the lineup. We should have stuck what got us to SJ in the 1st place.

Barrie and Girard together was a dumpster fire. We need a guy like Nemeth with one of them to win puck battles down low.

I'd sit Girard and Brassard and insert Nemeth and Andrighetto. Keep it the same as we had vs Calgary.
That's f***ing dumb to sit your best players. You live and die with them.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh come on, even after mikko missed that hit it took a remarkable play from Lebanc to score. All you can do on those is tip your cap to the guy & go to work at the other end.
Not at all buddy, that whole play started because of Mikko going into "should I cheque him or should I not" mode. LeBanc is a great goalscorer so I am not trying to call him a bad player, but if Rantanen decided to just poke it away we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It sucks that when we need physicality and intimidation we just look at Zadorov and only him. Pathetic how soft the rest of the team is

But but but...."toughness is overrated". Look at Marner, Gaudreau and Nylander in the playoffs to see how overrated toughness is. Hit them once and they disappear.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh well. I still think whatever happens in this playoff run at this point is gravy. Would’ve liked a better game one effort but that’s what happens when the other team takes f***ing forever to finish their first round series. Avs hopefully knocked off the rust and will be ready for game two.

I do think Brassard should come back out and Andrighetto should return to the lineup though. Not that a 4th liner would’ve been a huge difference but they could’ve used his energy, as opposed to Brassard, who’s obviously more skilled but just isn’t bringing the needed intensity.

Still...I wanted to see a Gork Goal this postseason and sure enough, I saw one!

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oh well. I still think whatever happens in this playoff run at this point is gravy.

This is true. However, we are facing an old, tired, injured team that got lucky beyond belief to get out of round 1. If we were facing Vegas that'd be another story but right now this is our series to lose.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This is true. However, we are facing an old, tired, injured team that got lucky beyond belief to get out of round 1. If we were facing Vegas that'd be another story but right now this is our series to lose.
They didnt look old and tired today thats for sure. Rewatching the game now and wow it seems like Soderberg has aged 5 yrs based on his play. EJ looks like hes playing with a piano on his back.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
This game was so very Avalanche. They had it, decided to get pretty and got taken out of the game. I expected a loss in this game but the way they lost it drives me crazy. Hopefully they can shift back into playoff mode quickly.

They didnt look old and tired today thats for sure. Rewatching the game now and wow it seems like Soderberg has aged 5 yrs based on his play. EJ looks like hes playing with a piano on his back.
Yeah, especially Soda starts to worry me.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

The team hadn't played for a week and Girard played his first game after being out with an injury. Brassard just came back after being down with the flu. No need to panic now. I won't be mad if Ghetto replaces Brassard, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad