GDT: Round 2, Game 1: Avs @ Fish | 8 PM MT | 26 April, 2019

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Even though we controlled the first half of the game we didn't look like the younger faster or hungrier team. Hopefully this was just some layoff rust.

Now you know why I put EJ in every trade proposal.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
-Landeskog needs to start converting some chances, he is doing everything right except putting the puck into the net.

-Makar and Barrie need to be on the ice with MacKinnon. He creates so much space for the defencemen to walk in and shoot, they need to be the ones shooting.

-Kerfoot needs to not be on MacKinnon's line. Again, MacKinnon creates so much space for players to shoot, and Kerfoot may as well pick up the puck and throw it at the net his shot is so weak.

-Brassard needs to come out of the lineup, and Nemeth back in. Not even really sure 7 defencemen is the way to go because I honestly think Girard should be in the press box.

-Wouldn't mind Jost getting a little more ice time. Especially with Soderberg being as useful as tits on a bull.

Just some small changes that could go a long way. Not as big of a difference maker as effort and focus, but that's a given.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
I think Girard needs to sit next game. He doesn’t have that IT factor you need in the playoffs quite yet. He looked scared and he looked lost and made some pretty boneheaded decisions. I love the guy and think he’s great but Nemeth did great for us last series and Girard just doesn’t seem ready yet for the big stage like Makar has shown.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Didn’t get to watch the game. Being off for so long, didn’t expect us to win.

Overall, how did we look?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like we gave San Jose too much respect. Maybe the guys were overconfident in their team speed compared to SJ or something. I don’t know what it is but the Avs weren’t skating and weren’t physical even though that’s exactly what you should bring to beat this old team. Kinda reminds me of game 1 against Calgary. Then in game 2 Zadorov set the tone early with some huge hits and then the physicality and speed stuck with the team for the rest of the series.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
At the end of the day, I'm encouraged.

Yea, the score sucked, but the Sharks got to have their matchups in their building, and I thought that the Avs played well enough to win.

Top guys didn't come through today, that won't be an issue for the entire series. Some bad mistakes defensively, once again that won't happen every night. Probably going to need an adjustment to bring another forward back for a quick out since our defense seems to be terrified of the Sharks forecheck, but other than that not unhappy about everything but the score.

Reactions: avsfan3737

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
If Girard doesn't sit next game or at least doesn't play least amount of minutes among our D I would assume that he has naked pictures of Bednar. Somehow Girard contributed to the first three goals by Sharks - turnover that led to the faceoff and resulted in Nyquist goal, spectating 2 Sharks players in 2-1 situation when they tied the game the second time and nice screen on Labanc's GWG.

Last edited:

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
The Avs need to be relentless with their speed and transition game. Run em down and keep the pressure on Jones. Possession and instant breakout. They're not only good at it, but I think will be SJs kryptonite too.

Trying to match the Sharks' physical game is just a recipe for disaster.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

giphy.gif

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Girard had a bruuuuutal game, but I hope most of that is just because he has sat for so long. Hopefully he gets back to playing as well as he did before he got injured against Calgary.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton

Fine the first period. Good up until our 4 min pp, then EJ does his usual horrible point shot and it costs us. Sharks didn't look back after that and they just dwindled the time down. We had a few chances, but most of the time its Mack passing to the MuffinMan and we get no rebound chance.

Overall a few missed chances (Rants kicking goal, Soda too weak to lift the puck over jones pad, Barrie not even getting a shot on a 2v1 etc.) were the deciding factors.

The goals against were kinda saveable but I wouldn't blame Gru on them. Weak attempt at D by Rants on Lebancs goal, a simple stick play and that goal doesn't happen.

Their point shots are going to cause some issues, its why I think Nemeth should be back in, they have some big forwards and we need to clear them out better or there will be lots of deflection goals.

Reactions: Avs

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Girard was clearly rusty and wasn't good at all but neither were many others. Benching him after this game wouldn't be a smart call IMO.

People filled up pages of the GDT ripping Rantanen in his first game back as well when they lost. It's one game. Relax.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The Avs need to be relentless with their speed and transition game. Run em down and keep the pressure on Jones. Possession and instant breakout. They're not only good at it, but I think will be SJs kryptonite too.

Trying to match the Sharks' physical game is just a recipe for disaster.

Well said. This is the only way we can beat them.

Reactions: klozge

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If the Avs score in that 4 minute pp I think they run away with it.
Reminds me a lot of the Flames where if Avs scored on some of those Mike Smith saves they win the 1st game. Sharks aren't the Flames, but this might be a blessing in disguise for Bednar to make the adjustments he needs and MacKinnon to come back with power. Super pissed off they gave the Sharks free rides into the slot after the PP though, mental weakness there.

I am more concerned about Barrie and Yeti, both have not had a good game at all. Barrie had a good first three games against Calgary, but has been meh ever since where Yeti hasn't looked good in one second of ice time yet. Not going to jump on the Cole/EJ hate-train yet for longterm because both showed good aspects against the Flames. Avs can win with EJ being average, they can't win with Barrie going into Marc-Andre Bergeron mode.

Reactions: klozge

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I just don't think the Avs have it in the tank. They've been grinding all year and playing that top line so hard. The Sharks are just so much bigger and slow down the zone entrance to much. The got away with a shit ton of interference and holding (i know thats allowed in the PO's) but it keeps the Avs from playing their game. Much like playing the Blues would've done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad