FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Yeah I'd say:

>0.45 is disappointing barring extenuating circumstances
0.45-0.65 is good
0.65-0.9 is great.
1.00-1.20 is fantastic.
1.20+ and he is a top-10 prospect, maybe top-5 prospect league-wide.

Only 1 freshman was above PPG last year (he is some undrafted 21yo).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I'd say:

>0.45 is disappointing barring extenuating circumstances
0.45-0.65 is good
0.65-0.9 is great.
1.00-1.20 is fantastic.
1.20+ and he is a top-10 prospect, maybe top-5 prospect league-wide.

Only 1 freshman was above PPG last year (he is some undrafted 21yo).

Here was the top scorers for junior aged players from last year (so U20).

Elite Prospects - NCAA Stats 2017-2018

There was only one PPG+ player & that was Patrick Harper who was a 19-20 year old at BU who put up 21 points in 20 games.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Pierre Mcgiure was on TSN radio Friday before the draft and the hosts asked for a sleeper. He named O’Brien. He said he watched a lot of him after his cancer surgery in January and he’s been watching that league closely for 30 years and he’s the best player he’s ever seen in that league and that’s including Roenick. He was slotted to go in the second round but he will go from 17-25.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Laczynski freshman yr .94 ppg sophmore yr 1.15 , true freshman plus 1 yr as start
Allison freshman yr .81 ppg sophmore yr 1.36 ppg , true freshman as start
Cooper Marody freshman .75 ppg sophmore yr .83 ppg junior 1.28 ppg , true freshman as start
So by the looks of this about .80 would be pretty good as a true freshman which he would be

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm still lukewarm on this pick. Of all the picks made, this was one where there were so many guys that I preferred to him. Kupari, Miller, Wilde, Noel, Merkely, Bokk, Sandin, Veleno, Lundestrom, and the list goes on I'm sure. If they had traded back and maybe grabbed another second or a third or something, I'd feel a lot better, but I mean even moving back five picks I have to imagine he still would have been on the board. Or maybe there was a lot of buzz and they figured they had to grab him. I love drafting US players, but with nothing but high school under his belt it is always scary for me. You have a guy like Mittelstadt last year but he played half a year in the USHL so you had some other things to gauge him on.

I know Thayer has produced some NHL talent so that is a little more comforting, but can anyone speak to the competition level that he saw? He clearly dominated the last couple years there, so that is certainly encouraging, but was he saying anyone that would even sniff the NHL or even D1 NCAA or CHL hockey?

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I'm still lukewarm on this pick. Of all the picks made, this was one where there were so many guys that I preferred to him. Kupari, Miller, Wilde, Noel, Merkely, Bokk, Sandin, Veleno, Lundestrom, and the list goes on I'm sure. If they had traded back and maybe grabbed another second or a third or something, I'd feel a lot better, but I mean even moving back five picks I have to imagine he still would have been on the board. Or maybe there was a lot of buzz and they figured they had to grab him. I love drafting US players, but with nothing but high school under his belt it is always scary for me. You have a guy like Mittelstadt last year but he played half a year in the USHL so you had some other things to gauge him on.

I know Thayer has produced some NHL talent so that is a little more comforting, but can anyone speak to the competition level that he saw? He clearly dominated the last couple years there, so that is certainly encouraging, but was he saying anyone that would even sniff the NHL or even D1 NCAA or CHL hockey?
Given Hextall's track record of drafting you have to think they really really liked this kid (Frost) and took a risk. Hopefully he will be right as the 19th pick area looking back 10 years is no slam dunk and therefore I will be excited about his potential and not look back and say I told you so when one of the next six picks become a player. Of course we really won't know much until we see him at Providence play 20 or so games.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Given Hextall's track record of drafting you have to think they really really liked this kid (Frost) and took a risk. Hopefully he will be right as the 19th pick area looking back 10 years is no slam dunk and therefore I will be excited about his potential and not look back and say I told you so when one of the next six picks become a player. Of course we really won't know much until we see him at Providence play 20 or so games.
Oh yeah I definitely trust Hextall when it comes to this stuff. Not really questioning the pick I just have a hard time getting juiced up about it when looking at all the other guys that were out there, that coupled with the fact that I know nothing of the competition that he saw. He was over 2 PPG but if he was playing a bunch of scrubs I wonder how that will translate to the next level (and ultimately the NHL). Providence I believe is not an offensive powerhouse so I'm guessing his point totals won't be too eye-popping and I rarely get to see any NCAA games so hopefully some of our more inquisitive posters on here can keep me updated. I really want to like this pick because all the stuff I'm reading sounds good but I just don't know how reliable it can be given the league he is in. I'd feel similarly if they drafted someone from the lower tiered junior leagues.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Oh yeah I definitely trust Hextall when it comes to this stuff. Not really questioning the pick I just have a hard time getting juiced up about it when looking at all the other guys that were out there, that coupled with the fact that I know nothing of the competition that he saw. He was over 2 PPG but if he was playing a bunch of scrubs I wonder how that will translate to the next level (and ultimately the NHL). Providence I believe is not an offensive powerhouse so I'm guessing his point totals won't be too eye-popping and I rarely get to see any NCAA games so hopefully some of our more inquisitive posters on here can keep me updated. I really want to like this pick because all the stuff I'm reading sounds good but I just don't know how reliable it can be given the league he is in. I'd feel similarly if they drafted someone from the lower tiered junior leagues.
For me this is the pick that has me most excited because of the league he came from. He could be an absolute home run. If he played in a better league or had more international exposure, maybe he doesn’t make it down to 19. Maybe he’s a top 10 pick. It’s also true the other way in that he could end up a bust, but I like the boom or bust nature of the pick.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
For me this is the pick that has me most excited because of the league he came from. He could be an absolute home run. If he played in a better league or had more international exposure, maybe he doesn’t make it down to 19. Maybe he’s a top 10 pick. It’s also true the other way in that he could end up a bust, but I like the boom or bust nature of the pick.
I never thought of it in that way but I can see that. The one thing I keep going back to really is his point totals. Even if the kids are all little puny dinks that don't have the ability to compete at a reasonable level, putting up that amount of points is still impressive. Maybe someone can provide context like what the best player in that league puts up each year. If it is similar maybe his point totals aren't all that impressive. If the league MVP or leading scorer puts up 25 points per year and he put up 80, then I am liking this pick a lot more. If someone puts up 80 points every year then I'm not as excited about his point totals. I've tried to find this info but I can't seem to find anything anywhere other than HIS specific totals.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
His skating could become a major attribute once he adds a little more strength and becomes even more explosive. Combine that with an above average shot, great hands and high compete level and you have a great prospect. His development will probably be the most intriguing to follow among our prospects. Outside of Frost, he has the most offensive potential in our group. I think he would actually look really good on Frost's wing. A Farabee-Frost-JOB line could be scary good.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I believe Amonte held the goal scoring record for Thayer with 35 goals. JOB shattered that with 43.
I did a little sleuthing just on Elite Prospects and it looks like only two other players (not on his own team) hit 50 points, Neil Shea who is headed to Northeastern scored 58 and his teammate scored 50 (and there was at least one or two other guys on Thayer's roster that hit 50). That is pretty encouraging.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston

New England Prep School hockey is quite strong for development. It is a cut above most "high school" programs and they have an entirely different schedule from the Public and Catholic Schools. Many players start at a public or a Catholic and transfer to the preps. It's hardly uncommon for a player to go directly from Prep School hockey to D1 (Patrick Harper was brought up earlier in this thread. He did just that.)

Jay's school, Thayer Academy, had four other committed players on the team. That says nothing of the players on that team who will play D1 hockey but have not committed yet. Also on their schedule: Rivers School (5 D1 commits), Dexter- Southfield Academy (5), Northfield- Mt. Hermon School (2), Noble & Greenough School (2), Belmont Hill School (2), Lawrence Academy (8), Cushing Academy (5), Culver Military Academy (8), St. Sebastian's School (6), Trinity-Pawling (2), and Kimball Union Academy (6). Aside from O'Brien, there were three players drafted in 2018 on that schedule and one in 2017.

So yeah, more than a few will even sniff D1 hockey. Just because high school hockey sucks in New Jersey and Pennsylvania doesn't mean that it does in New England.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad