Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTAMER

Jan 24, 2013
Homer was quoted as saying that the Flyers would take the "best player available" and not necessary a defensemen. With Domi still available, why pick a guy who can hit and fight. Maybe he will turn into a Chara, but I am on the fence about this pick.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Holy ****, Morin is 17 years old for the next 2 weeks or so...

Yeah, he's young, he can hit, he can skate, and he can shadow defensively for a big guy.

Maybe I overreacted because he's a solid defenseman. I think we're all just pissed, as am I, that we didn't get Nurse or Ristolainen.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
Really reached for this pick. They could have traded back I'm sure and still got him. I'm not sure where he'll fit in with they flyers. So many other players that were BPA and I'm sure most will agree

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Homer was quoted as saying that the Flyers would take the "best player available" and not necessary a defensemen. With Domi still available, why pick a guy who can hit and fight. Maybe he will turn into a Chara, but I am on the fence about this pick.

I agree that Morin might not have been the best pick here but think about what you're saying. Homer said he would take the best player alavaible. Maybe they thought Morin was in fact the BPA. I trust the Flyers drafting.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Happy to have Morin. Pronger can work with him. Perhaps Pronger was behind part of this pick.

CTAMER

Jan 24, 2013
I agree that Morin might not have been the best pick here but think about what you're saying. Homer said he would take the best player alavaible. Maybe they thought Morin was in fact the BPA. I trust the Flyers drafting.

I understand where you are coming from, but I am still on the fence with this pick. Someone earlier wrote that maybe they overreacted to this pick. I think I may have done the same thing. He is extremely young and can hopefully turn into a great shut down with a heavy shot.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Happy to have Morin. Pronger can work with him. Perhaps Pronger was behind part of this pick.

He was. They give Pronger video to scout players. His input means allot to the front office. He's not walking around with Homer and management for no reason. I know Nolet did allot of research as well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, he's young, he can hit, he can skate, and he can shadow defensively for a big guy.

Maybe I overreacted because he's a solid defenseman. I think we're all just pissed, as am I, that we didn't get Nurse or Ristolainen.

If the Flyers have any patience with him it might turn out to be a good pick down the road.

The masses had their pitchforks ready to go last year with the Laughton pick and a year later people are now in love with the guy.

Morin might not turn into anything but its way too early to start making judgements.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

This is the right answer, Chris. ;)

I'd rather have a player who has the D zone mastered who has a glimmer of offensive potential than a guy who can move the puck and put up points at the junior level but has holes in his D game. Those guys rarely end up being #1 defenders.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I guess I'm in the minority but I like it. :thumbu:

We'll never know, but they may have taken Morin even over Risto if available. Imagine the meltdown that would've caused! :laugh:

But there are some crazy comments going in here, it's keeping me amused.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
This is the right answer, Chris. ;)

I'd rather have a player who has the D zone mastered who has a glimmer of offensive potential than a guy who can move the puck and put up points at the junior level but has holes in his D game. Those guys rarely end up being #1 defenders.

Neither do guys with no offensive potential.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Morin was actually a guy I wanted but forgot about. Drinking is bad.

I think he'll be good down the line. Everyone just needs to take a seat and a deep breath.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
Far from a stretch, very doubtful that they could have traded back and still get him.

A good, decently safe pick. A smart step towards developping a solid defensive corps.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
Does Morin's game bring a skill the flyers need? IMO no, and sure most can agree that the flyers needed more puck moving/offense from the back end. With guys like Coburn, Grossman and Schenn, I just feel that there were other Dmen who could have served the flyers better, such as Morrisey. Here is a scouting report-

Morin skates pretty well for a big man, but he does have some areas he needs to work on.* His straight line speed is good for his size, and his acceleration is decent enough.* His agility is also at a very good level, and this gives him some decent mobility.* However he does need work on his edgework and pivots.* Morin has trouble dealing with speedy forwards at this point especially when they make quick cuts around him.* He will need to work on this aspect of his game, and improve his ability to change directions quickly before he is ready for the speed of the pro game.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Does Morin's game bring a skill the flyers need? IMO no, and sure most can agree that the flyers needed more puck moving/offense from the back end. With guys like Coburn, Grossman and Schenn, I just feel that there were other Dmen who could have served the flyers better, such as Morrisey. Here is a scouting report-

Morin skates pretty well for a big man, but he does have some areas he needs to work on.* His straight line speed is good for his size, and his acceleration is decent enough.* His agility is also at a very good level, and this gives him some decent mobility.* However he does need work on his edgework and pivots.* Morin has trouble dealing with speedy forwards at this point especially when they make quick cuts around him.* He will need to work on this aspect of his game, and improve his ability to change directions quickly before he is ready for the speed of the pro game.

By the time Morin makes the big club our defense could be drastically different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad