GDT: Round 1 Game 3: Colorado @ St. Louis *Fight Night* 9:30 ET / 7:30 MT

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Girard is pretty clearly hurt but it’s also concerning that his play has dropped off in every single post season of his career. Let’s get this series out of the way tomorrow so that he can rest up. We’re going to need Sammy to be Sammy once they start playing actual good hockey teams.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Girard is pretty clearly hurt but it’s also concerning that his play has dropped off in every single post season of his career. Let’s get this series out of the way tomorrow so that he can rest up. We’re going to need Sammy to be Sammy once they start playing actual good hockey teams.

St Louis is a good team, Avs are just the class.

Why has Girard tailed off? Could be injuries but in general playoffs is all about body hockey. Playing Girard physically and taking away space hurts his game a bit.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

I wouldn’t be opposed to resting him tomorrow in favor of Byram. Gives us a low risk game to see how Byram looks in a playoff game and gives G an extra game of rest. He hasn’t really been a difference maker in the series so I don’t see him out mattering much. I’d rather try to get him healed some, he looks pretty hurt.

Reactions: Zolik37

ChiefsAvs

May 22, 2021
Hello all, new to board, wanted to comment on the constant whining from the St. Louis coach and fans about the refs. I had posted a clip earlier from a few years ago from a St. Louis new station regarding Boston fans complaining about the Blues not getting called for penalties. Not sure why it got taken down by the moderator, but the point was that they are doing exactly the same thing.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Great effort from the lunch pail crew last night, Bellemare and Graves especially. Low event Nemeth is a solid player as well. Jost and Nichushkin are such a steady presence.

We don’t have the deepest team offensively but to a man they buy in and play hard. There are games that specific players can frustrate me, but I rarely question their effort level.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Great effort from the lunch pail crew last night, Bellemare and Graves especially. Low event Nemeth is a solid player as well. Jost and Nichushkin are such a steady presence.

We don’t have the deepest team offensively but to a man they buy in and play hard. There are games that specific players can frustrate me, but I rarely question their effort level.

I love Nichushkin on the forecheck forcing the defensemen into making a bad pass and Jost near the blue line ready to intercept. It’s so beautiful to watch and I hope these 2 never get broken up

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
G doesn’t seem to have his usual burst, but he’s playing hard. I’m not worried about him.

Makar has been great sans whatever the hell happened when the puck deflected off his skate on the power play last night. Toews has also been very good. Graves has been playing his best hockey of the season.

In terms of forwards, I’d like to see a little more from Burakovsky and Nichushkin.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
St Louis is a good team, Avs are just the class.

Why has Girard tailed off? Could be injuries but in general playoffs is all about body hockey. Playing Girard physically and taking away space hurts his game a bit.
Since last season's playoff bubble, they've actually been a very bad hockey team. A bottom-10 quality team based on all of their metrics.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What a game Belly had. Had multiple big blocks and deflected passes on the PK in this game especially late. Won some huge draws going 83%. Worked his tail off all over the ice.

He doesn't get enough respect. One of the best 4C's in Avalanche history and a huge part of the chemistry in that locker room. You always need a guy like him or Dan Hinote to keep everyone loose.

Love the Belly Celly too. He never gets Landy to smile at it but he got Mikko this time. Probably his Berube impression.

giphy.gif

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What a game Belly had. Had multiple big blocks and deflected passes on the PK in this game especially late. Won some huge draws going 83%. Worked his tail off all over the ice.

He doesn't get enough respect. One of the best 4C's in Avalanche history and a huge part of the chemistry in that locker room. You always need a guy like him or Dan Hinote to keep everyone loose.

Love the Belly Celly too. He never gets Landy to smile at it but he got Mikko this time. Probably his Berube impression.

giphy.gif
I remember a lot of people calling him out of the lineup at points during the season. But why though, he does everything a 4th line C has to (well, outside of fighting WELL (he did it badly). He seems to be one of the biggest persons in the locker room. He didn't get that King Clancy nominee from nowhere either. Really like this guy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I remember a lot of people calling him out of the lineup at points during the season. But why though, he does everything a 4th line C has to (well, outside of fighting WELL (he did it badly). He seems to be one of the biggest persons in the locker room. He didn't get that King Clancy nominee from nowhere either. Really like this guy.

Yeah never understood that either. He's a great 4C and if he has stretches where he's not standing out, that's why he's on the 4th line instead of the top 6 or top 9.

But he almost never hurts the team and often helps them in a lot of ways that don't show up on the scoreboard. Hope they find a way to resign him.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Belly is awesome. I remember one time someone in the crowd created a belly-bump target on a big bit of card and put it up against the glass. The center of the target had Belly's face, he spotted it and gave it a belly bump during warmups. I wish I could find the picture of this.

Also, that time that Rantanen wasn't on the ice at the end of the game, he did an air-belly-bump.

The guy has a huge personality. I love it.

giphy.gif

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
I am perfectly okay with Graves being dog shit all season and a stud in the playoffs. Keep it up please.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
PEB will probably go back to Vegas if Avs don't resign him. He really loved Vegas. I would love him to be re-signed for a few years but we will see.

-

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
PEB will probably go back to Vegas if Avs don't resign him. He really loved Vegas. I would love him to be re-signed for a few years but we will see.

-
He's 36, he's not going anywhere for money at this point. Colorado offers a pretty decent chance at the cup.

He will resign here, if Sakic wills it. Or I will, it, some else hopedully does?

Last edited:

dwkdnvr

Mar 10, 2004
In terms of forwards, I’d like to see a little more from Burakovsky and Nichushkin.

Really? In my eyes Nuke has been everything we could have expected. Sure, it'd be even better if it chipped a goal, but he's been pretty relentless so far, I think.

Agree on Bura though. He's always been somewhat streaky, so it'd be great if he could hit a hot streak heading into Rd 2.

Reactions: LOFIN

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I mean they were a lot more competitive this game, they had more puck possession and scoring chances though I thought the avs had more high scoring chances despite the shot totals but the ice wasn't nearly as tilted as the previous games. Grubaur should get a ton of credit for making the game a lot easier than it would've been.

Can anyone honestly say Girard's performance has been good in these playoffs or even in the games before he got hurt. There is a world of difference between him and Makar and it boggles my mind that people were trying to equate the two's importance to this team. He gave up several Neutral Zone turnovers and had one that led to a high quality scoring chance. He keeps not being able to keep the puck in the offensive zone. I don't know why they use him as some kind of offensive dynamo defensemen when he really doesn't have that much offensive skill, whenever he shoots the puck it's just an easy grab for the goalie that allows the other to team to get relief from all the av's pressure. He was able to pick up an assist though when the blues player fell down by himself and get the puck to Landeskog.

Gotta give credit to Graves, the goal was just by chance by he capitalized on it. When he gets it on the net at least his shot is good enough to get a rebound and not be an easy grab for the goalie, so he should to get it on net more instead of trying to snipe corners. Didn't notice him on defense too much which is a good thing. Nemeth also had a very strong game and actually brings some much needed physical play to give the blues a little push back. Still would like to see Timmins out there more though, I think he is probably our 2nd best defensemen at running offense from the blue line. Makar is obviously more dynamic but Timmins has really good iq to make the right plays to run the offense from there. He was able to take some hits without problems which is good.

I don't know why the love affair with Compher, he played 2 and a half more minutes than Jost and didn't really do anything other than the ENG maybe that's why Bednar has him out there in for his pool skills. The 2nd line didn't really get any offense going all night as expected, Burakovsky was able to pick up a point finally when he was playing with Saad. Jost's line should have got a lot more play, really neat chip shot from on the goal to flip it over Binnington. Most guys would have probably just shot it straight into him. Saad really solid again, I don't know why people said he lacked defense.

Newhook has been gaining more and more confidence. Why is Bednar so reluctant to give his young players a bigger role, it really is a waste to have him play on the 4th line. Unless you're somebody the organization made a big investment in like a top 5 pick or a prized prospect you got in a trade. You're basically relegated to marginal roles. I remember even during the 48 point season, Bednar refused to give his younger players much opportunity so they can at least get some development out of that season and kept playing his soon to be out of the league vets. He even said something like he'd like to get the young players in there more but couldn't take their side over the vets.

The answer for this is no. This same answer applies to the last two playoffs aswell. Hes just not the same when the game gets tough and its understandable as to why.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Man, when Ryan Graves doesn't do dumb **** on the ice I actually really like him. Big, physical, skates, can actually make a pass, bomb of a shot.

I know he'll never change because if he got rid of the dumb parts of his game he'd be a top pairing defensemen making 6-7M/season.

That said, I can't even complain anymore when I think back to how much of a win the Graves/Bigras trade was.

I agree with everything except of bomb of a shot part. He would be much better player if he would shoot way less that he does now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad