GDT: Round 1 - Game 2 - Colorado Avalanche @ Winnipeg Jets - Tuesday, April 23rd, 2024 - 8:30pm CDT - CBC - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Do I understand that if Georgiev is a disaster, their next best goalie has the flu and they would have to start a guy who didn't cut it with the Moose?
Actually they have called up a different goalie to be the backup today who is a bit more experienced than Holm.

#Avs Jared Bednar on swapping Arvid Holm for Ivan Prosvetov as backup goalie with Justus Annunen unavailable (illness)."He's a more experienced guy and he played well for us at times when he was up (in the NHL). Since he's gone down, he's really played well for the Eagles."

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Pionk's pass was more just awful awareness than anything. Dillion was heading off for a change already and Pionk threw it to his vacated side. Then Pionk decided he should change as well :laugh:
Pionk is the Jets equivalent to Gregoriev and ironically both ex-Rangers!

Reactions: hockeyarena

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Been thinking a lot about this. I have much respect for Bucky as a goaltender, glad he committed 8 years, his season was Vezina worthy etc. But.. I think you'd have to consider it. IF and that's a big if, he plays less than good enough to help the Jets win. I could be mistaken, but last year against Vegas it seemed like he would let in a goal within the first 4-5 shots each game. You can't be doing that. He really hasn't shown he's a big game playoff goaltender yet, I believe he can and will, but if for some reason his play dips below acceptable standards you'd have to give Bro the nod. He's played too well not to deploy as an option. Whatever feelings that might stir in the young American shouldn't be taken into account. This is win or golf time.

Best comparable example that comes to mind is Les Canadiens starting Halak over Price in 2010.
I think Helly could be "blamed" for maybe 1 soft goal but it was a Mackinnon change up so even that is questionable and he made timely saves to preserve he lead. He has not stolen a series since the Oilers but it is ride or die with him this year. I do not see them turning to Brosoit.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Really would've liked to see Perfetti in the lineup. That 4th line had 1 shot attempt the entire game, granted it resulted in a goal but still. Need more from your 4th than that.

Can't imagine we come out as flat as we did last game. Game could have easily been 3-0 before we got our 2nd shot.

I'd be very surprised if the Jets have another game as bad defensively. I'd be even more surprised if they have a similar bad defensive game AND Helle also has another rough game.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Hype up for the game after our last win
Let’s slow the game down this time and keep their goalie on high alert

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t disagree

I have had mixed feelings about that pair. That said, if the Jets keep winning I don’t see a change coming despite how that bottom pair does

A little further on this subject ........... Both Schmidt and Miller played every game when VGK knocked us out and went on to win the Cup in '18. Each played in all 20 games and scored 7 pts. Of course they are older now, but that is a mix of good and bad. Both have better foot speed than Stanley does.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do I understand that if Georgiev is a disaster, their next best goalie has the flu and they would have to start a guy who didn't cut it with the Moose?

Not quite. That guy was their backup last game. They have since swapped him for a guy who was actually pretty good in the AHL this season. Still an AHL goalie though.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
correct-that-is-correct.gif

• Haha
Reactions: MardyBum

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Really would've liked to see Perfetti in the lineup. That 4th line had 1 shot attempt the entire game, granted it resulted in a goal but still. Need more from your 4th than that.

I'd be very surprised if the Jets have another game as bad defensively. I'd be even more surprised if they have a similar bad defensive game AND Helle also has another rough game.

OTOH it will also be surprising if they have another game with a SH% of 27.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
A little further on this subject ........... Both Schmidt and Miller played every game when VGK knocked us out and went on to win the Cup in '18. Each played in all 20 games and scored 7 pts. Of course they are older now, but that is a mix of good and bad. Both have better foot speed than Stanley does.
I fear Big Stan gets exposed tonight but they obviously like his size and p/k abilities (gulp) and may be playing the home games because the Jets have last change and won't play o the road because they don't? o

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Only change I wanted to see was Schmidt in for Stanley - but understand Bones not changing a line-up which won game one.....even though some warts sure did seem to get exposed.

Hope he refuses to do it next game as well (meaning that we win again tonight - in whatever fashion) :)

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Stanley's speed vs MacKinnon scares me a bit
Scares me a lot. Stan's worst aspect is his inability to switch quickly from skating backwards to forwards to keep pace with the advancing player. And that's with regular skaters, not MacKinnon. He'll be two steps back and if Mac doesn't score, will likely get his stick into Mac's hands to draw a penalty.

Now it's on the rest of the squad to tie up the neutral zone to prevent that exact scenario from happening.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Jets need this win. they win the Avs go home beaten, frustrated, full of doubt and with no clear answer in net. and all the pressure and self doubt in their minds.

Avs win" They go home thinking "game 1 was a fluke, we can win this thing". with a ton of momentum....

GO JETS GO!!!!!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
It's not just foot speed - it's having some weight out there to support the hard push we always get in our zone for extended periods.
Stan held his own in that last game when our D were getting run over - there is no reason to make a change - which is probably why they didn't make one.
And certainly not by Smitty who is likely slower than Stan without a gram of physical in his game - this is not Oct hockey - we need guys in there that can take a pounding and hold their own.

Reactions: Channelcat

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It's not just foot speed - it's having some weight out there to support the hard push we always get in our zone for extended periods.
Stan held his own in that last game when our D were getting run over - there is no reason to make a change - which is probably why they didn't make one.
And certainly not by Smitty who is likely slower than Stan without a gram of physical in his game - this is not Oct hockey - we need guys in there that can take a pounding and hold their own.
Schmidt is the fastest defenseman on the roster.

Stanley loses far more than half the board battles he enters, despite his size. He also rarely hits, or at least rarely connects on hits.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Schmidt is the fastest defenseman on the roster.

Stanley loses far more than half the board battles he enters, despite his size. He also rarely hits.
If Smitty is fast, I don't see it - most of the time he is gasping for air out there.
Stan at least gets into board battles - and I doubt very much that he loses half of them.
He doesn't need to hit - he just has to get in the way, tie guys up and slow things down especially against a team that can cycle like the Aves.

Edit: He had 5 hits in the last game - one less than our top cruncher (Lowry).

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Looking for less chaos from Pionk... carry the fkn puck out of the zone - this applies to all D - skate a bit before chipping or passing

Establish the 2-1-2... that never happened last game - not easy with McKinnon but the 2nd line shouldn't have been blazing through the neutral zone

Doubt Samberg and Stan see MackInnon much given the line changes...

Forwards can't be cheating and Jets have to pay attention to the puck when they're changing - that cleans up a lot

Need more than 6 minutes from the 4th line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad