Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@Deadpool8812

Although most scouting services have Michkov ranked at a top-five prospect, many scouts and general managers have been speculating he could fall beyond the No. 5 pick for a handful of reasons—the most significant of which being he’s under contract with SKA Saint Petersburg in the Russian Kontinental Hockey League through the 2025-26 season.
But if his contract status weren’t an issue, just how high would Michkov be picked?​
“Michkov would seriously be in the conversation for us if we had the No. 2 pick,” an anonymous NHL executive told The Athletic’s Corey Pronman. “I get all the risks but he could honestly push Bedard in terms of pure ability.”​
“I believe he is closer to challenging Bedard at No. 1 than most people think,” FC Hockey scout Jake Janso said. “While Bedard boasts a more well-rounded and mature game, he does not have the pure offensive upside that Michkov does. If everything breaks right for Michkov, he may end up being the most prolific scorer from this class.”​
Reports indicate that Michkov won’t make it past the Washington Capitals at pick No. 8. And with Russian superstar Alex Ovechkin, it’s easy to connect the dots as to why.​
If teams were drafting based purely on talent, there’s a good chance Michkov would go second overall behind Bedard. However, waiting a minimum of three years before Michkov can even play in an NHL arena might be enough to scare off enough teams that the talented Russian falls into someone’s lap.​

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
This pick gives me joy because of the player but it also gives me joy because Bob Clarke is somewhere out there shaking his fist in disgust for taking a Russian.
Plus the added bonus - he scored Michigan goals! Sorry Tortorella

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
@Deadpool8812

Although most scouting services have Michkov ranked at a top-five prospect, many scouts and general managers have been speculating he could fall beyond the No. 5 pick for a handful of reasons—the most significant of which being he’s under contract with SKA Saint Petersburg in the Russian Kontinental Hockey League through the 2025-26 season.
But if his contract status weren’t an issue, just how high would Michkov be picked?​
“Michkov would seriously be in the conversation for us if we had the No. 2 pick,” an anonymous NHL executive told The Athletic’s Corey Pronman. “I get all the risks but he could honestly push Bedard in terms of pure ability.”​
“I believe he is closer to challenging Bedard at No. 1 than most people think,” FC Hockey scout Jake Janso said. “While Bedard boasts a more well-rounded and mature game, he does not have the pure offensive upside that Michkov does. If everything breaks right for Michkov, he may end up being the most prolific scorer from this class.”​
Reports indicate that Michkov won’t make it past the Washington Capitals at pick No. 8. And with Russian superstar Alex Ovechkin, it’s easy to connect the dots as to why.​
If teams were drafting based purely on talent, there’s a good chance Michkov would go second overall behind Bedard. However, waiting a minimum of three years before Michkov can even play in an NHL arena might be enough to scare off enough teams that the talented Russian falls into someone’s lap.​
Worth the wait then

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

my-sweet-summer-child-sweet-summer-child.gif

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
@Deadpool8812

It seems we're lucky we've just started our rebuild and the FO has accepted the fact that it may take a few years. Timing is everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00