Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
He was, 2nd unit came out and they quickly started to change on the fly back to his line but his guy pulled a panarin and didn’t change.

Thanks

Funny that the kid who is so slight is the one that keeps going to the net and taking the abuse.

Almost looks like too many alphas on the ice for BC. 3 different guys trying to do their own thing and set their own plays up

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Well, it was a great season. We'll see which players go back to try again. i think there's a very strong chance smith remains for another year with gabe.

of the bigger names, obviously gauthier is gone. gabe will definitely stay another year. fowler and fortescue obviously staying. leonard is the wildcard...he's physically nhl ready right now and i'm guessing the caps will be pushing him to sign. i think smith is pretty likely to stay. he's been a bc fan all his life for one and i doubt he leaves after this, but career wise he's like gabe where he really needs another year to be physically ready for the nhl. besides, the sharks are a dumpster fire...no reason to go get murdered just to be in the nhl. only risk is sharks may push hard to get him there so they can market something in the way of hope to give fans a reason to show up, but i'd hope they'd be smarter than that.

gabe was fantastic tonight, and you have to love his trend of showing up in the biggest games. had a 3 point game and the first goal in the wjc gold medal game/ setting up the tying goal in the semis/2g1a in the quarters, 2 goals leading their comeback attempt in the beanpot, 3 points in the ncaa semis, and the best player on his team tonight.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Realistically, Gabe by himself will not put up these kinds of numbers

It doesn't really matter, does it. It's about being effective. It's about doing the right things on the ice and being one of the best players on the team. 1.50 points a game or 1.2 points a game. These are results that even the best, established elite players in the NHL vacillate between from year to year for a variety of reasons. Also development is almost never, never linear.

Perreault and Smith should go back.

Gauthier probably signs tomorrow. Leonard should annoy me with the Capitals next year.

If Leonard plays like he did in this game, the only ones he'll be annoying are the Capitals fans...

...I kid, I kid.

BC's "immaturity" showed in this game. Denver had good structure that BC's yutes were having a lot of problems dealing with. Same happened against Quinnipiac. When it broke down, their goalie was there. Still, lots of unscreened shots. When those weren't going in, BC resulted into over-passing as the G got in their heads. I'm not a BC fan so them losing is whateva (although they looked eerily like the Rangers at their worst). As a Rangers fan, it sucks Perreault didn't get on the board but honestly, once again, that was a REALLY encouraging showing from him all the way around. For somebody "so slow" and "slight of frame", he sure looked good getting to pucks and being seemingly the only one going to the front of the net for a screen!

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Don’t even care about the open net situation, Leonard was bad tonight. I know people love that he is a puck hound, but it doesn’t mean shit if you’re missing your open teammates and giving the puck away.

That was among the most dynamic I’ve seen Perrault all year. He was by far BC’s best player. A lot more dynamic than he has been in other games.

Fortescue wasn’t great. Lots of giveaways. But I’d be pretty surprised if he doesn’t hack it as at least a journeyman in the NHL. He’s big, skates well and is super physical.

I absolutely can’t stand Gauthier. Hate his game, hate his attitude. All tools no toolbox. Only positive from tonight’s loss is that he’s the one with the tears.

Reactions: egelband

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I’m gonna venture a guess and say the usual US prospect posters are finding a way to blame the loss on Perrault somehow. He’s been their whipping boy all year.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
of the bigger names, obviously gauthier is gone. gabe will definitely stay another year. fowler and fortescue obviously staying. leonard is the wildcard...he's physically nhl ready right now and i'm guessing the caps will be pushing him to sign. i think smith is pretty likely to stay. he's been a bc fan all his life for one and i doubt he leaves after this, but career wise he's like gabe where he really needs another year to be physically ready for the nhl. besides, the sharks are a dumpster fire...no reason to go get murdered just to be in the nhl. only risk is sharks may push hard to get him there so they can market something in the way of hope to give fans a reason to show up, but i'd hope they'd be smarter than that.

gabe was fantastic tonight, and you have to love his trend of showing up in the biggest games. had a 3 point game and the first goal in the wjc gold medal game/ setting up the tying goal in the semis/2g1a in the quarters, 2 goals leading their comeback attempt in the beanpot, 3 points in the ncaa semis, and the best player on his team tonight.

FWIW I think even Leonard would be best served by probably staying one more year. That said the Caps could probably and would probably like to fit him in right now and the same with the Sharks and Smith. San Jose needs help and right away to get better. The Rangers are not in the same place as the Caps who are a playoff possibility this year or the Sharks who are probably at least 2/3 years away from getting back into a playoff scenario. The Caps could use scoring help. The Sharks are just desperate for any help.

If Perreault signed today the question is whether he'd be on the Rangers when they broke camp in 24-25 and for that to happen he would really need to break into at least the top 9. I think it would be a waste for him to go to Hartford. He'd be better off getting a second year of College life than spend a year riding busses and it would also be a waste of his hockey IQ and stick skills to have him in the AHL. I don't think they're really more advanced but Smith and Leonard will be much more likely to play in the NHL next year just because of the state of their respective teams.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I have enjoyed being able to catch a few of these games that I haven't had the chance to before - didn't get to see the final, and shame he couldn't get the win, but that does seem encouraging with his performance in particular the way you guys described it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad