Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
most people have no idea how to evaluate skating, they usually just regurgitate whatever the narrative is around a player. most of the public scouting community has insufficient parameters to provide a thorough evaluation of skating ability. they basically look at a skating stride and unless a player who has an unorthodox one is an absolute dynamo that flies around the ice, they get tagged as a poor skater. gabe literally has zero skating concerns...his top end pace is certainly sufficient and he can escape pressure in small areas without issue. he knows when to accelerate into space and more importantly, he has phenomenal body control and balance. evaluating skating really is much more nuanced than a metric you can quantify or it's aesthetic appeal. it's really about the comprehensive picture understanding how a player plays, evaluating how their pace and mobility complements it, whether or not those things project in the pro game, and finally looking for technical issues that are insufficient at the next level and whether or not those things are fundamental or developmental in nature. gabe has zero technical deficiencies in his skating ability. there are areas he can and will improve in with physical development and like every player, there are little things he'll clean up over time to make incremental marginal improvements. the idea that his skating might be a prohibitive factor in his ability to translate at the nhl level though is simply a lazy, uninformed, or inept assessment. the only prohibitive quality about his game overall separating him from playing in the nhl is physical development.
I know nothing about evaluating skating and technique but from what I've seen of Perreault, the important thing is that he gets to places on the ice as needed, has been able to pull away from defenders when needed, and it doesn't currently look like something that will hold him back. Even his explosiveness seems to have gotten a bit better as the year has gone on.

How that will translate to the NHL remains to be seen...he'll certainly have a harder time getting separation but that goes for everyone making the jump to the NHL, and I think he still has room to improve and isn't a finished product.

I see people on the main boards talking about how he has "cement feet" and I dunno if they're just parroting stuff or letting the original scouting reports inform their opinion or really do think their analysis stands up. Hell, maybe he does have cement feet, I dunno, like I said I'm not a great skating analysis person. But he gets to where he needs to be and is elusive enough to do what he needs to do.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I know nothing about evaluating skating and technique but from what I've seen of Perreault, the important thing is that he gets to places on the ice as needed, has been able to pull away from defenders when needed, and it doesn't currently look like something that will hold him back. Even his explosiveness seems to have gotten a bit better as the year has gone on.

How that will translate to the NHL remains to be seen...he'll certainly have a harder time getting separation but that goes for everyone making the jump to the NHL, and I think he still has room to improve and isn't a finished product.

I see people on the main boards talking about how he has "cement feet" and I dunno if they're just parroting stuff or letting the original scouting reports inform their opinion or really do think their analysis stands up. Hell, maybe he does have cement feet, I dunno, like I said I'm not a great skating analysis person. But he gets to where he needs to be and is elusive enough to do what he needs to do.
His skating isn't even slightly an issue. Its just fans of other teams trying to run him down, just like some of us do with other prospects like Cutter and Smith. hahaha.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is it possible he's the passenger, not the driver on that line? Who watched him play for BC?

Usually college passengers don't do well in the WJC, but he did, so there's that.

Leonard is really the primary driver.

He got hurt and that kind of slowed the hype train.

Smith has really been the passenger on that line even through his most recent hot streak.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Is it possible he's the passenger, not the driver on that line? Who watched him play for BC?

Usually college passengers don't do well in the WJC, but he did, so there's that.
Many of us have been watching, he is absolutely not a passenger.

When he was out for 5 games their #1 PP went 2 for 18, when he came back they went like 6 for 12 or something. He is the smarts on the line. Leonard is the physical player that gives them some more room, and smith is probably the most rounded out player on the line.

Leonard is really the primary driver.

He got hurt and that kind of slowed the hype train.

Smith has really been the passenger on that line even through his most recent hot streak.
I dont agree with this at all. I dont think any of them really are the driving force of offense for that line since they are all so good, but just because Leonard is the most physical doesn’t mean he is driving that offense.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Not even an honorable mention. What a farce

He does mention Perreault and Leonard in his Smith writeup

I didn’t want to put all three of BC’s incredible scoring line here, so just imagine Ryan Leonard (Washington Capitals) and Gabriel Perreault (New York Rangers) being here too.

However, f***ing lol at this

While Gabe Perreault and Ryan Leonard have been outstanding at BC. Smith’s been the brains of the top line in college hockey – just like he was for two years at the USA Hockey National Team Development Program.

Like, what? I'm not even gonna be negative about Smith here but calling him the brains of that line is something else. He could have said "play driver" or something and I wouldn't agree but I'd say sure go ahead and say that. But "brains" is a helluva hot take.

Will this be a one-and-done for Smith? That’s the question a bunch of people are wondering. As for the other two, they’re just as important to Boston’s success at this tournament and should factor into the team’s success.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
How much do these "writers" actually watch? Some of the takes are out of left field. Or as Giannone would say "from the side".

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

I watched just about every game this year, IMO there isn't really a driver. They play off each other extremely well as a unit.

Smith was most productive, the C (tho also the least defensively responsible), and drafted the highest, so I get the attention and accolades.

But I think it would be unfair to characterize any of the 3 as drivers or passengers.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Nope... Cherneski was another first round pick from the late 90's that really looked like he would be a player.

Destroyed his knee and that was that... another Rangers first rounder who never played in the NHL.
remember both Cherneski and Cherepanov clearly,
i just wasn't following the discussion that well 8^(

Reactions: Profet

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
When he was out for 5 games their #1 PP went 2 for 18, when he came back they went like 6 for 12 or something. He is the smarts on the line. Leonard is the physical player that gives them some more room, and smith is probably the most rounded out player on the line.
Undoubtedly, the line was better with Perrault and worse without him. But at the same time, it's worth noting that BC had already wrapped up pretty much everything by the time they sat Perrault, so they were sort of just going through the motions during those games.

I agree with HatTrick that this is not the sort of line where you assign passenger/driver roles. None of them are being carried by the others.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Undoubtedly, the line was better with Perrault and worse without him. But at the same time, it's worth noting that BC had already wrapped up pretty much everything by the time they sat Perrault, so they were sort of just going through the motions during those games.

I agree with HatTrick that this is not the sort of line where you assign passenger/driver roles. None of them are being carried by the others.
I think everyone wants to see how they play with other players (I'm sure they'd still be playing with skilled players, but getting away from the comfort zone of those same linemates would interesting to see how they do)

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
I think everyone wants to see how they play with other players (I'm sure they'd still be playing with skilled players, but getting away from the comfort zone of those same linemates would interesting to see how they do)
That's understandable. Although I do think it might have to wait. I doubt any of these guys have any reason to leave BC to go to the AHL, so I suspect it comes down to the immediate opportunity being offered to them at the NHL level.

Elite NCAA players increasingly have options/leverage now with sponsorship/NIL money. It's not difficult to see Smith/Leonard deciding they would rather spend their age 19/20 season at home and on this potentially legendary line rather than riding the bench somewhere else. And as we saw with Cutter Gauthier this year, NHL teams have to adjust to the reality of player empowerment.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Hey guys, I'd be the 1st to admit that I don't follow our prospects like you guys do. Wasn't a college guy myself (actually 1 year) don't really know the levels and choices these kids have, etc. Anyway, sorry for interrupting here.
My question. Perreault is a RW, right? Rangers need that, right?
How long do you think it'll take for him to get there? I mean, he doesn't "have to" finish College, right? Hey, education is most important, but.....if he's only there for the purpose of hockey......
So, again.....? Thanks, LarryBiv

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The skating issue is largely overblown, but I do think there's plenty of room for improvement. Gabe just doesn't have that extra gear when you watch him. And that's ok at this point. He's a physically immature player that has been using his bandwidth to figure out how to be successful at a higher level of play.

And he's done just that. But when his season ends, I'd have him attached at the hip to Ben Prentiss and later Kreider when NYR's season is done. He really needs to focus on physically preparing his body for the rigors of professional hockey, and increasing explosiveness.

He's able to create separation away from the puck using his brain right now, and that's great. It's a skill that's important to have. But having that extra gear to separate when a defender is actively locked in on you becomes very important in pro hockey.

Reactions: JCProdigy

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hey guys, I'd be the 1st to admit that I don't follow our prospects like you guys do. Wasn't a college guy myself (actually 1 year) don't really know the levels and choices these kids have, etc. Anyway, sorry for interrupting here.
My question. Perreault is a RW, right? Rangers need that, right?
How long do you think it'll take for him to get there? I mean, he doesn't "have to" finish College, right? Hey, education is most important, but.....if he's only there for the purpose of hockey......
So, again.....? Thanks, LarryBiv
Yes, he's a RW, though he can play either wing.

The general consensus is that he'll play 1 more year at BC, then go pro, but that could change depending on what Smith and Leonard do. Gauthier is expected to leave. If Smith and Leonard leave, that could change Gabe's decision. BC has some good players coming in, notably James Hagens, who could be the 1st overall pick in 2025, so that could factor into his decision as well.

Also, how they do in the NCAA tournament this year could impact all of their decisions. If they don't win it this year, all of Smith, Leonard and Perreault might decide to stay another year and try to win a championship. If they do win, maybe none of them go back.

I expect that if he returns to BC next year, that will be it for him, and he'll sign with the Rangers immediately following the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad