Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
We love drafting forwards that can’t skate. LOVE it

Now at 23 I’m all for taking a swing like this. Guy has just torn it up. But yah he’s another poor skater. So color me luke warm that he’ll ever do anything for us

The fact that he 1. is heralded as a super smart player one of the smartest in the draft and 2. is likely committed to 2-3 years of college makes me ok with it.

Both those things worked out ok for someone else in a blue 23 jersey.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC

Now at 23 I’m all for taking a swing like this. Guy has just torn it up. But yah he’s another poor skater. So color me luke warm that he’ll ever do anything for us agai totally worth the swing though
Basically how I’m feeling.

Reactions: Shadowtron

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The problem isn't the pick, the problem is what the organization tends to do with players like this.

"Slows the game down." How many forwards has this franchise developed in the past twenty years that play that type of game? Derek Stepan maybe? Panarin is probably the best player in the world at playing that style and we can't even figure out how to get him going when it matters or find him an even strength linemate.

They pick someone like this but now that the pick is over he will be turned over to Rangers Development Company, LLP. who will promptly strap him into the chair from A Clockwork Orange and make him watch Blair Betts highlights for 48 hours straight.

I don't hate the pick but from what I've heard I seriously doubt whether this organization has the makeup to actually allow this player to be successful.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The problem isn't the pick, the problem is what the organization tends to do with players like this.

"Slows the game down." How many forwards has this franchise developed in the past twenty years that play that type of game? Derek Stepan maybe? Panarin is probably the best player in the world at playing that style and we can't even figure out how to get him going when it matters or find him an even strength linemate.

They pick someone like this but now that the pick is over he will be turned over to Rangers Development Company, LLP. who will promptly strap him into the chair from A Clockwork Orange and make him watch Blair Betts highlights for 48 hours straight.

I don't hate the pick but from what I've heard I seriously doubt whether this organization has the makeup to actually allow this player to be successful.
Isn’t this what Muse is for?

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
I hope I am wrong here but not a fan of this pick and his fit with us. I don't doubt he is skilled, just don't think he was what we needed. They need speed, team needs to get faster.
Panarin, Perreault, Lafreniere, Kakko and Othmann all are on the slow side. Which means 5 of our top 6 wingers are slow. Kreider is the only one of our top 6 wings with speed and he stands net front.

Reactions: hockeyplayer999

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Now at 23 I’m all for taking a swing like this. Guy has just torn it up. But yah he’s another poor skater. So color me luke warm that he’ll ever do anything for us agai totally worth the swing though
BPA ( Kakko, Laffy and now Perrault)

we just have piss poor luck it seems

Reactions: Ail and Shadowtron

scott99

May 13, 2005
Islander’s fan coming in piece, I just have to say, this was a BRILLIANT pick. He broke the record at the NTDP for goals and points. He’s got great hands, a great shot, and a great hockey IQ.

I saw him rated 14-20 in several draft guides, and you guys got him at 23, great move. Honestly, I would’ve been less shocked if he went top 10 than some of the guys who actually went top 10. To tell you how much I like Perreault, as an Islander’s fan, I’m extremely jealous of this pick. I watched him at the U18’s and he was great.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Gabriel Perreault it is. Heading to BC in the fall.

Ranked #14 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #18 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #14 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #11 by FLOHOCKEY/CHRIS PETERS
Ranked #17 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #18 by THE HOCKEY NEWS
Ranked #10 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #21 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #15 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #10 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #19 by SPORTSNET
Ranked #20 by HPR/SHANE MALLOY
Ranked #21 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #24 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #18 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #27 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Wheeler 7th
Pronman 12th

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I hope I am wrong here but not a fan of this pick and his fit with us. I don't doubt he is skilled, just don't think he was what we needed. They need speed, team needs to get faster.
Panarin, Perreault, Lafreniere, Kakko and Othmann all are on the slow side. Which means 5 of our top 6 wingers are slow. Kreider is the only one of our top 6 wings with speed and he stands net front.

When/if this kid makes the team the over under on that list of players still being in the roster is maybe 2.5

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I'd love to know where they had him ranked, but I guess we'll probably never know. Was this a run up to the stage pick or a tight choice.

No one can complain about this pick although I was hoping they'd somehow land Oliver Moore. Doofy looking but flies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have been saying we need speed for months BUT if we knew we could get this guy last week we would have been happy. We still need speed but this guy may turn in to an asset as well. Not all all-star players have been fast.

Reactions: McRanger92

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
On Sportsnet, Sam Cosentino said “This guy is a playmaker extraordinaire. You can see by his frame that he needs to add some strength, which he has already done, he needs to add some size, he’s willing to put the work in. He’s so crafty and so chippy, he reminds me a little bit of Mitch Marner because you can’t sleep on him on the backcheck, he has a really good stick, but when he has the puck on the offensive side of it, you better be aware because he’ll find a seam or a way to get you the puck. I love his playmaking ability.”

Jason Bukala said on Sportsnet, “you can’t sleep on him ever, on the puck, off the puck. When he gets it, good things are happening in the offensive zone, you have to stick with him, man on man coverage in the defensive zone because when he gets it he’s creating offense, an elite stick.”

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'd love to know where they had him ranked, but I guess we'll probably never know. Was this a run up to the stage pick or a tight choice.

No one can complain about this pick although I was hoping they'd somehow land Oliver Moore. Doofy looking but flies.

Moore is pretty much the opposite type of player as Perreault. He can skate like the wind, but there's a bunch of questions about his ultimate skill level and hockey IQ.

I was hoping we'd get Moore b/c I didn't think we'd get Perreault

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
They said Brett Hull couldn't skate.
They said Luv Robitaille couldn't skate.

I can't fathom how the son of an NHL player who didn't skate well somehow didn't get skating lessons but whatever.

He could turn out to be a steal because of where he fell to and I wasn't in love with any of the reachable prospects anyway.
Bossy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad