Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I feel comfortable saying I watch more of the USNTDP than nearly everyone here. He's one of the smartest and most skilled players in the entire draft, and the skating issues are overblown because he plays the game with plenty of pace. This was a great pick by Drury to take someone who had no business being at 23.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Hockey Prospect had him at #9.
Exerts from their Black Book:

- Simply put, Gabriel is one of the smartest players in this draft class. A quick thinker, if he gets the puck on his stick, it’s never there for too long.
- a highly technical high-end passer with an exceptional ability to make passes that are extremely difficult. He sees things on the ice that very few players see, and passing lanes that simply don’t exist for most other players in this draft class.
- playmaking skills on the power play are lethal.
- what makes him one of the best eligible prospects in this draft is the fact that he’s a natural dual-threat.
-one of the best releases in the whole draft,
- He’s slow off the gate, his acceleration lacks explosiveness (which can be due to his lack of power), and his top speed is only average. It’s ugly, but he does get from point A to point B at a
decent enough level.
- he does compete well enough out there, unafraid of going to the rough areas of the ice to get his goals.
- We see Perreault as a brilliant, creative top-6 option for a team, someone who will thrive on the power play with added time and space.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I feel comfortable saying I watch more of the USNTDP than nearly everyone here. He's one of the smartest and most skilled players in the entire draft, and the skating issues are overblown because he plays the game with plenty of pace. This was a great pick by Drury to take someone who had no business being at 23.

Great to read.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
They said Brett Hull couldn't skate.
They said Luv Robitaille couldn't skate.

I can't fathom how the son of an NHL player who didn't skate well somehow didn't get skating lessons but whatever.

He could turn out to be a steal because of where he fell to and I wasn't in love with any of the reachable prospects anyway.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Don't care about his skating, he has a good Hockey name. Seriously, Musty? But?? Sale!? Pshhh, i think not.

Now lets rush him, kill his confidence and turn him into a grinder and trade him for a 4th as is tradition.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
14. Pittsburgh Penguins: Gabriel Perreault, RW

The first pick in the Kyle Dubas era in Pittsburgh. Perreault fits the kind of prospect Dubas valued in his time with the Toronto Maple Leafs. He’s a gifted scorer who creates in small areas.

This was a few mocks too

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Pronman

Thoughts on the pick: Perreault is one of the most skilled and intelligent players in the draft. I thought he’d go higher, but his frame, a barely 5-foot-11 winger who is skinny, combined with his subpar skating, gave a lot of NHL scouts pause despite his tremendous offensive abilities, so I’m not stunned he got to No. 23. He has a long way to go to look like an NHL player, but he has the talent to be a top six wing for the Rangers down the line. In an ideal world, the Rangers would have added size, and they wouldn’t have picked another wing, but Perreault was too much talent to pass up at this point in the draft for them.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
fox is a great example of someone who is incredibly average with his physical tools but his IQ makes him elite. If we can get something similar from Perrault in the forward position, it could be really good.

With his creativity and intelligence, why isn’t he a C? Is it due to his mediocre skating?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
French guy with good IQ but bad skating? Sounds familiar.

We love drafting forwards that can’t skate. LOVE it

Now at 23 I’m all for taking a swing like this. Guy has just torn it up. But yah he’s another poor skater. So color me luke warm that he’ll ever do anything for us agai totally worth the swing though

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I didn't think he'd fall that far which makes up for him not being fast. I'd have made the same selection with what was on the board.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad