Roster Whittled Down To 40 For Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
The list has been narrowed down to 40 players. 6 of which who are goalies. Meaning 34 skaters left for 13 forward spots and 7 defense spots.

Whose left? Whose the locks other than the obvious of Iginla, Sackic etc.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I'd Guess
1. Ed Belfour
2. Martin Brodeur
3. Curtis Joseph
4. Roberto Luongo
5. Jose Theodore
6. Marty Turco
7. Rob Blake
8. Jay Bouwmeester
9. Dan Boyle
10. Eric Brewer
11. Adam Foote
12. Scott Hannan
13. Ed Jovanovski
14. Bryan McCabe
15. Scott Niedermayer
16. Dion Phaneuf
17. Chris Pronger
18. Wade Redden
19. Robyn Regehr
20. Todd Bertuzzi
21. Sidney Crosby
22. Shane Doan
23. Kris Draper
24. Simon Gagne
25. Dany Heatley
26. Jarome Iginla
27. Paul Kariya
28. Vincent Lecavalier
29. Patrick Marleau
30. Brendan Morrow
31. Rick Nash
32. Joe Sakic
33. Brad Richards
34. Brendan Shanahan
35. Ryan Smyth
36. Jason Spezza
37. Eric Staal
38. Martin St. Louis
39. Alex Tanguay
40. Joe Thornton

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I posted this in another thread. Here are my locks:

F: Iginla, Sakic, Heatley, Thornton, Gagne, Smyth, Richards, Lecavalier. St. Louis' tenacity coming off his finger injury, combined with his defensive acumen, have likely cinched his place on Team Canada. That leaves nearly a dozen forwards (Nash, Draper, Doan, Staal, Spezza, Crosby, Tanguay, Marleau, Bertuzzi, Morrow, Shanahan) battling for the final four spots.
D: Foote, Niedermayer, Blake, Pronger and Redden are gimmies. If teams are allowed to dress their full compliment of 13 forwards and 7 defencemen (which was allowed in 1998 and 2002), then McCabe will get a spot as the seventh defenceman for his PP abilities. Jovanovski would appear to have the inside track on Boyle, Brewer, Regehr and Hannan for the other spot. If Canada only dresses six, McCabe is out and Regehr is in.
G: Brodeur and Luongo. Turco and Joseph appear to be battling for No. 3. Belfour won't get it due to inconsistent play this year, and Theodore wasn't too happy with being No. 3 at the World Cup, so don't expect to see him on the final roster.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
God Bless Canada said:

F: Iginla, Sakic, Heatley, Thornton, Gagne, Smyth, Richards, Lecavalier. St. Louis' tenacity coming off his finger injury, combined with his defensive acumen, have likely cinched his place on Team Canada. That leaves nearly a dozen forwards (Nash, Draper, Doan, Staal, Spezza, Crosby, Tanguay, Marleau, Bertuzzi, Morrow, Shanahan) battling for the final four spots.
D: Foote, Niedermayer, Blake, Pronger and Redden are gimmies. If teams are allowed to dress their full compliment of 13 forwards and 7 defencemen (which was allowed in 1998 and 2002), then McCabe will get a spot as the seventh defenceman for his PP abilities. Jovanovski would appear to have the inside track on Boyle, Brewer, Regehr and Hannan for the other spot. If Canada only dresses six, McCabe is out and Regehr is in.
G: Brodeur and Luongo. Turco and Joseph appear to be battling for No. 3. Belfour won't get it due to inconsistent play this year, and Theodore wasn't too happy with being No. 3 at the World Cup, so don't expect to see him on the final roster.

I have to agree, excellent post.

If McCabe makes it he'll probably be a 6th-7th defender with lots of powerplay time. limited 5 on 5 and PK time.

wildone26*

I also heard Theo was upset about being #3 on the World Cup. That is silly since his play that year did not warrant being above Brodeur or Luongo, he should feel he would have his chance to move up if he upped his game(which he hasnt). If that is true he pretty much burned himself for ever being on a big Team Canada again, despite being one of the elite goaltenders in the country.

joe_shannon_1983*

I heard on CBC last night on Hockey Night in Canada that there are 20 forwards still in the mix:

Gagne
Sakic
Iginla
Lecavalier
Richards
St.Louis
Bertuzzi
Thornton
Doan
Smyth
Draper
Heatley
Nash
Kariya
Shanahan
Crosby
Spezza
Staal
Tanguay
Maltby

These were the guys mentioned by CBC, in no particular order.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
ferns8916 said:
I heard on CBC last night on Hockey Night in Canada that there are 20 forwards still in the mix:

Gagne
Sakic
Iginla
Lecavalier
Richards
St.Louis
Bertuzzi
Thornton
Doan
Smyth
Draper
Heatley
Nash
Kariya
Shanahan
Crosby
Spezza
Staal
Tanguay
Maltby

How they would consider Bertuzzi, Doan, Draper, Nash, Crosby and Maltby and not consider Morrow...that's pretty insulting. Morrow's outplayed them all this year.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Maltby? You've got to be kidding me? He'd better not be on the list. He didnt even play in the '04 World Cup. Maltby even being considered for this team makes me vomit.

And please people get off your horse about Joseph and even Turco. Look Joseph is the best playoff goaltender of all time - in the first round! Don't be fooled by his regualr season this year. Joseph always chokes after the first round of the playoffs. Compare the gold medal game to game 7 of the Cup finals. Joseph has had some bad game 7s in his career.

Remember a third goalie is important still. Let's say Brodeur is hurt and Luongo is injured, well guess who fills in! I almost am certain it will be Jospeh as the third goalie. He's Gretzky's goalie in Phoenix so that'll help. But remember you have to look down the bench and be confidnet of every goalie on your team just in case of an injury. Would you be confident with Joseph?

To me the list is Brodeur, Luongo and Theo. Remember Brodeur struggled before Salt Lake and ended up with a gold medal. Olympics are different.

espo*

God Bless Canada said:

Regehr will be on the team,he does'nt have to beat out anyone for a spot.He's on the team already.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How come no love for Adrian Aucoin? He is one of the few guys who some people consider to be a legtimate #1 defenseman in the NHL, but gets absolutely no talk of being on team Canada

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Here is my take on our team

Guys that have to be there
Heatley Iginla Lecavalier Marleau Richards Sakic Thornton Gagne

Too that mix you need a great role player......my pick Smyth (he wont hurt you with his defence and certainly can pop a few also)

That makes 3 lines> Whats left?
Tanguay St Louis Doan Draper( awesome pk and faceoffs) Morrow( Mr energy)
and Bertuzzi ( I wouldnt consider him this time )

Then we have the kids Spezza Staal and Crosby

I honestly dont think Crosby should go and before you all jump all over me he will have plenty of opportunities in the future. As mentioned Spezza is not a 4th line player but would do awesome with Heatley. My pick would be Staal out of the three for his overall game and size. That said they are all in tough to crack this very impressive rostor. No matter Gretz is not going to please everybody.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
ferns8916 said:

Draper
Maltby

McKenzie was speculating last week (or maybe two) that it might come down to Madden or Draper for the checking centre job. Perhaps they've made that call to go with Draper.

Are Maltby and Draper competing for the same job? I really hope both guys aren't on the team, regardless of their PK chemistry.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
jcorb58 said:
Here is my take on our team

Guys that have to be there
Heatley Iginla Lecavalier Marleau Richards Sakic Thornton Gagne

Too that mix you need a great role player......my pick Smyth (he wont hurt you with his defence and certainly can pop a few also)

That makes 3 lines> Whats left?
Tanguay St Louis Doan Draper( awesome pk and faceoffs) Morrow( Mr energy)
and Bertuzzi ( I wouldnt consider him this time )

Then we have the kids Spezza Staal and Crosby

I honestly dont think Crosby should go and before you all jump all over me he will have plenty of opportunities in the future. As mentioned Spezza is not a 4th line player but would do awesome with Heatley. My pick would be Staal out of the three for his overall game and size. That said they are all in tough to crack this very impressive rostor. No matter Gretz is not going to please everybody.

Yeah, Crosby is pretty young, and its not like Canada doesn't have a wealth of talented forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad