Roster Trimming

rowf

Jan 25, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada
GMTM said he wanted to bring in quality veterans to show the rookies how to be a pro; yet, Buffalo has yet to have back to back good games this season.

In my mind, GMTM needs to start working the phones and cut the fat on this roster, and at least give us fans an honest effort each night. We all know we aren't going to win many games, but at least we should see an honest effort out there!

We are stacked with prospects, and picks, trade some of these stiffs for heart and soul pluggers that actually care about how the game 'should' be played!

Bps21*

I think they should do nothing...finish last...and us fans will be rewarded with a player who will give more than your moneys worth for the next 15 years.

or we could try to force more ot points and keep hitting our head against the wall.

we are so close to the finish line. You don't change lanes now.

rowf

Jan 25, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada
I don't think allowing the culture of 'just collecting a paycheck' attitude into the dressing room is acceptable at all.

Run the risk of an Edmonton (5 year + counting) rebuild.

Bps21*

I don't think that's close to the case here. What you are seeing is a team that can't control puck possession. If we were Edmonton wed have a roster full of prospects who aren't ready. We are the opposite. A collection of guys that won't matter down the line who aren't good enough to win.

if we were Edmonton only the first pick we make would look to have a future and its be one a year. We have 17 first and second round picks in a few year span...so far.i reject the Edmonton comparison outright.

it isn't a lack of effort that's even what's happening out there. It looks that way because they never have the puck. They don't not have the puck because people are lazy.

just lets wait until the season is over.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think allowing the culture of 'just collecting a paycheck' attitude into the dressing room is acceptable at all.

Culture, Smulture.... this year is not going to have anyeffect on next year or the following year ect.. When we get good players the "culture" will change.

Bps21*

Remember when we went 8-4 to finish the season of the MacKinnon draft?

Still waiting for the good of that culture to kick in

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
GMTM said he wanted to bring in quality veterans to show the rookies how to be a pro; yet, Buffalo has yet to have back to back good games this season.

In my mind, GMTM needs to start working the phones and cut the fat on this roster, and at least give us fans an honest effort each night. We all know we aren't going to win many games, but at least we should see an honest effort out there!

We are stacked with prospects, and picks, trade some of these stiffs for heart and soul pluggers that actually care about how the game 'should' be played!

Every week or two someone types up something like this and has some grand plan to get better immediately. Don't jump ship. Don't change lanes. Don't reverse course. Don't stop the tank. Don't desire to make it to 9-10th place this season. Don't trade prospects away for short term (almost negligible) gain.

Enjoy the little victories. The good pass. The good save. The occasional win, goal and solid effort.

By the very nature of your post, You still haven't reached "acceptance".

Bps21*

Enjoy that yesterday the two best players in a win were girgensons and ristolainen.

that's what matters.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Remember when we went 8-4 to finish the season of the MacKinnon draft? Still waiting for the good of that culture to kick in

Well Flynn is back in the lineup so now the team just needs to trade for Porter.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

What culture? There's maybe 5 guys on the current roster that will survive the next 4 years. If you can't figure out that just collecting a paycheck doesn't cut it as the roster goes through 70% turnover, then you're one the 70% anyway. As much as people like to *****, we are currently watching Risto take ice time from people. Eventually Grigs will be doing the same, the message will become abundantly clear, there's someone coming to take your spot.

Being concerned with the culture is an issue when you're SJ and there isn't 20 prospects charging up behind you and the locker is the same season to season. The reason Edmonton is still not a playoff team is not because they didn't fix the culture, its because they've been leaning on 20,21,22 year olds to carry a roster with no goaltending and no defense, and their best player plays wing and not center.

Whose still here after 4 years? Risto, Girgensons, Zadorov

Hodgson, Stafford, Stewart, Benoit, Meszaros, Weber, Moulson, Gionta, the other of Enroth/Neuvirth (or both), McCormick, Kaleta, Strachan are all most likely gone...

Deslauriers, Flynn, Foligno, Ennis, Mitchell, Gorges, Enroth/Neuvirth may or may not be gone

Last edited:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Remember when we went 8-4 to finish the season of the MacKinnon draft?

Still waiting for the good of that culture to kick in

Ristolainen_Rasmus2_200911yle

Bps21*

That's not culture. Culture is carrying momentum that doesn't exist because we were winning.

Besides...it's not like a picture of Seth jones wouldn't look p damn fine there either. Or drouin. Or mackinnon. Monahan...lindholm...barkov...

Damn the 2013 draft was good.

Really happy Edmonton took Nurse

We got zadorov, compher, Hurley, baptiste, fasching, Bailey, carrier, peterson, Possler and florentino out of that draft too. Damn...

Anyway...yeah winning meaningless games doesn't breed success. Having top talent does. Let's not lose sight of what we are doing down here

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

I think there needs to be a permanent moratorium on comparisons of our rebuild to Edmonton.

Edmonton is like the Godwin's Law of Sabres rebuild threads (esp on the main forum). There's no reason to believe that our rebuild has been, is currently, or will be anything like Edmonton's.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Whose still here after 4 years? Risto, Girgensons, Zadorov

Hodgson, Stafford, Stewart, Benoit, Meszaros, Weber, Moulson, Gionta, the other of Enroth/Neuvirth (or both), McCormick, Kaleta, Strachan are all most likely gone...

Deslauriers, Flynn, Foligno, Ennis, Mitchell, Gorges, Enroth/Neuvirth may or may not be gone

I think Myers is likely still here as well.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
When Murray talks about helping the young guys learn to be pros he's talking as much about how they prep off the ice. About learning to be a professional athlete in general. Its not simply about on ice.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
That's not culture. Culture is carrying momentum that doesn't exist because we were winning.

Besides...it's not like a picture of Seth jones wouldn't look p damn fine there either. Or drouin. Or mackinnon. Monahan...lindholm...barkov...

Damn the 2013 draft was good.

Really happy Edmonton took Nurse

We got zadorov, compher, Hurley, baptiste, fasching, Bailey, carrier, peterson, Possler and florentino out of that draft too. Damn...

Anyway...yeah winning meaningless games doesn't breed success. Having top talent does. Let's not lose sight of what we are doing down here

It could have been Darnell Nurse fam

what I'm trying to convey is that teams manage to win cups without 1st overall hyperstars, and it's hard to say if certain learned behaviors/attitudes have an impact until far down the road

similarly it's difficult to argue with but it can't be dismissed because a team intentionally became worse

Bps21*

It could have been Darnell Nurse fam

what I'm trying to convey is that teams manage to win cups without 1st overall hyperstars, and it's hard to say if certain learned behaviors/attitudes have an impact until far down the road

similarly it's difficult to argue with but it can't be dismissed because a team intentionally became worse

Teams winning cups without top draft picks is the new "well...trent differ won a Super Bowl..so you don't need a great qb"

Odds are strongly in favor of getting to the top of the draft if you want to raise a cup.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Teams winning cups without top draft picks is the new "well...trent differ won a Super Bowl..so you don't need a great qb"

Odds are strongly in favor of getting to the top of the draft if you want to raise a cup.

not at all dude, top draft talent is necessary, but that doesn't necessitate tanking or even drafting them yourself

look at LA, I'm sure people were miffed at missing out on Stamkos for meaningless wins

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
not at all dude, top draft talent is necessary, but that doesn't necessitate tanking or even drafting them yourself

look at LA, I'm sure people were miffed at missing out on Stamkos for meaningless wins

LA has two top 5 picks on their roster, plus a plethora of guys in the top 15. Not sure what your argument is there.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
LA has two top 5 picks on their roster, plus a plethora of guys in the top 15. Not sure what your argument is there.

I'm saying you don't have to hyperventilate about not drafting first overall when you can grab top end talent in trades and rely on your outside-the-top-10 all-world center, late round goaltender, and top-2 pick

like i said, it's not a necessary part of a rebuild, just one way to manage it

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Blues got Pietrangelo 4th overall.
Kings got Doughty 2nd overall.
Chicago got Kane and Toews 1st and 3rd overall.
Pittsburgh got Crosby and Malkin 1st and 2nd overall.
Montreal got Galchenyk 3rd overall.
Tampa got Hedman 2nd overall, Stamkos 1st overall and Drouin 3rd overall.
Colorado got MacKinnon 1st overall.
San Jose traded for a 1st overall who's been their leading scorer nearly every season for a decade.
Boston traded away a 1st overall and a 2nd overall for all kinds of assets that are still a part of that team's nucleus.

That's 9 out o the top 10 teams in the League last year. That's pretty consistent in terms of good teams using those picks to build their core one way or the other. Most of them by just sucking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad