Roster to ice the most hall of famers.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
This is true. I almost never buy "X Player was lazy" stuff cuz there's almost a good reason the perception is bull****, but with Kovalev it was half that he looked lazy, and half that he'd have the season he had in Ottawa, but also, score four goals in his return to Montreal. It felt like if he had a reason to show someone up, he was the best player on earth.
my favorited kovalev video was whn he passed it to the opponent so he could hit him legally and then scored the guy had the hands and mind to do crazy shit like that

Last edited:
Reactions: BillNy

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm flooding this thread a little bit, but I'm really into HOF stuff in every sport, so eh. Point of interest may be: forwards don't really rely on awards so much, it's all scoring numbers. If you look at goalies and defensemen though, and just look at players who played >half their career games after the 1967 expansion, there have been 23 defensemen and 10 goaltenders to make the Hall of Fame.

Of those 23 defensemen, there are nine (Phil Housley, Mark Howe, Scott Stevens, Larry Murphy, Slava Fetisov, Borje Salming, Guy Lapointe, Brad Park, and Serge Savard) who never won the Norris trophy. The others to be inducted are Bobby Orr, Jacques Laperriere, Rod Langway, Larry Robinson, Denis Potvin, Raymond Bourque, Paul Coffey, Chris Chelios, Brian Leetch, Scott Niedermayer, Rob Blake, Al MacInnis, Chris Pronger, and Nicklas Lidstrom. Your mileage may vary when it comes to counting Slava Fetisov. A fun fact: the only two eligible Norris winners to not make the Hall of Fame are Ducks coach Randy Carlyle, and Sharks GM Doug Wilson. Of all the active guys to have won it (Chara, Keith, Karlsson, Subban, Doughty, Burns, and Hedman), only Brent Burns doesn't feel like a *total* lock, but I'd look at that as a strong sign he gets in eventually, along with his offensive numbers.

Of the 10 goalies to make it in, only Gerry Cheevers never won the Vezina. Three more (Rogie Vachon, Ken Dryden, and Tony Esposito) won when it was the equivalent of today's Jennings trophy, and Vachon won it splitting time with Gump Worsley. The six Vezina winners since it was a voted-on award to make the Hall of Fame are Grant Fuhr, Billy Smith, Ed Belfour, Patrick Roy, Dominik Hasek, and Martin Brodeur. Since 1982, when they started voting on it, nine eligible winners have failed to make the HOF (Tom Barrasso, Pelle Lindbergh, John Vanbiesbrouck, Pete Peeters, Jim Carey, Olaf Kolzig, Jose Theodore, Miikka Kiprusoff, and Tim Thomas), including a two time winner (Thomas). None of those guys seems particularly likely to make it, though I could get into an argument for Vanbiesbrouck or Thomas, one of whom called Trevor Daley the N-word, the other is just sort of a weird conservative, sooo idk how much either of those may play into your feelings or those of the voters. Anyway, upsetting the trend of non-winners not getting in, Roberto Luongo feels like a mortal lock, and Curtis Joseph is probably a coinflip. As for active guys, winner Henrik Lundqvist is a lock, non-winner Marc-Andre Fleury has a serious shot, and after that uh... well, there's a long time before I wanna talk about the HOF cases of Carey Price and Sergei Bobrovsky.

Just something that may sway you one way or another in terms of predicting who gets in.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
No, a Leafs fan nominated the 2018/19 Leafs in post #3. Both that one and the one you quoted are both trying to derail the thread and start an argument though. Sucks because this is an interesting thread that will now go nowhere for 20 pages.

I was obviously joking. I'd say 95 percent of people understood that, and the thread hardly feels derailed.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Didn’t the leafs dress a roster of about a million over the hill hall of fame players right before the lockout?

Sundin, mogilny, niewy, Francis, leetch, housley, Balfour with quin as coach?

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
92-93 Kings had five in Gretz, Kurri, Coffey, Robitaille and Blake, plus Robb Stauber, who is just plain ****ing awesome and in my own personal Hall of Fame.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is true. I almost never buy "X Player was lazy" stuff cuz there's almost a good reason the perception is bull****, but with Kovalev it was half that he looked lazy, and half that he'd have the season he had in Ottawa, but also, score four goals in his return to Montreal. It felt like if he had a reason to show someone up, he was the best player on earth.

Since his stickhandling was as good as it gets, it often overshadows how strong he was on the puck.

When he was inspired, it was near impossible to get the puck off him.

I wonder what he could do in today's game with the holding and hooking enforcement the way it is. I think today's game would have inspired him on a more consistent basis.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
72-73 and 73-74 Habs had 11.

72-73
1. Yvan Cournoyer
2. Ken Dryden
3. Guy Lafleur
4. Jacques Laperriere
5. Guy Lapointe
6. Jacques Lemaire
7. Frank Mahovlich
8. Henri Richard
9. Larry Robinson
10. Serge Savard
11. Steve Shutt

73-74
1. Yvan Cournoyer
2. Bob Gainey
3. Guy Lafleur
4. Jacques Laperriere
5. Guy Lapointe
6. Jacques Lemaire
7. Frank Mahovlich
8. Henri Richard
9. Larry Robinson
10. Serge Savard
11. Steve Shutt

Unreal

Those Habs teams over the years, so much talent.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Four.

Today, Bergeron is far from "has to be".
Okay whoops I missed one but he is tied for the most ever and has better stats than Gainey so if you wanna bet on him not making the hall I’d take it

Last edited:

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Doubt crow gets in with "only" 2 cups and a Jennings. Needs at least one vezina and at this point in his career the chances of that are sliiiiiim

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
72-73 and 73-74 Habs had 11.

72-73
1. Yvan Cournoyer
2. Ken Dryden
3. Guy Lafleur
4. Jacques Laperriere
5. Guy Lapointe
6. Jacques Lemaire
7. Frank Mahovlich
8. Henri Richard
9. Larry Robinson
10. Serge Savard
11. Steve Shutt

73-74
1. Yvan Cournoyer
2. Bob Gainey
3. Guy Lafleur
4. Jacques Laperriere
5. Guy Lapointe
6. Jacques Lemaire
7. Frank Mahovlich
8. Henri Richard
9. Larry Robinson
10. Serge Savard
11. Steve Shutt

If you count the GM (Pollock) and coach (Bowman), the total is 13 Hall of Famers

Reactions: The Grim Reaper

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
84 Islanders had 6: Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Lafontaine, Gillies, Smith, plus Arbour on the bench.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad