Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nick Roy? 3C? sold.

Cost?

Not sure. My thought was future picks that Vegas will then use to facilitate other roster shaping moves for themselves. They spend those to make those moves for now rather than trying to find a match with Buffalo's smallish offensive wingers into the Vegas preferential pantheon of big mclarge huge dudes.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Not sure. My thought was future picks that Vegas will then use to facilitate other roster shaping moves for themselves. They spend those to make those moves for now rather than trying to find a match with Buffalo's smallish offensive wingers into the Vegas preferential pantheon of big mclarge huge dudes.
1711395219766.png

Vegas isn't as tight to the cap as you'd think. Need them to re-sign Hanifin for this.

God damn, what a masterclass of team building that org is.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree completely. This should not be that difficult. Could overpay a free agent on a shorter deal. More of a stay at home defenseman that can take some PK and matchups away from Dahlin and Byram. Move Joki and pick/prospect for some forward help.
I want nothing to do with trying to get a UFA top 4 D in here. They tried that last year and the best they could get to sign here were Clifton & EJ...

Someone like Roy or DeMelo would be nice. But, they may have better options.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
View attachment 841326

Vegas isn't as tight to the cap as you'd think. Need them to re-sign Hanifin for this.

They have 15 players taking up $77M in cap space for next season entering the offseason and 14/$72M if you figure that Lehner and his $5M is an LTIR wash. That is close to what the Sabres cap situation is heading into the offseason (13 players signed & $66M).

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Isn't the assumption that Hanifin will sign long-term with TBL? Don't think we should pencil him into next year's Vegas team.

Playoff success with VGK might change his mind though, especially with his pal Eichel a fixture there now. Prying Roy out of there at age 27 with 3 more years at $3M sure would be nice.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Have we ever talked about how they spent three years having their star players under cheap contracts and refused to spend the entire time? 31 organizations in that spot go for it because that was a window. We spent the least in the league twice and the third least this year. Because I keep hearing about how the contracts are kicking in and they won’t be at the bottom anymore…and it never comes with the slightest understanding of what that means we just wasted. Everyone wants to talk about how Tage, Cozens, Dahlin and Power were better last year. They were also a lot cheaper. They combined to make less than Dahlin makes next year. And the organizational plan was to leave the most cap space unspent in the entire league. That was a window. If not to win it all…at least to break the drought and instill some success in this group. I’d say they nailed it shut…but Terry wouldn’t spring for the f***ing hammer.
Also worth noting that it also allows the young guys progress more quickly.

A lot of college athletics are basically throw everything at these kids and those that survive are varsity athletes. It drives international coaches nuts because they get these guys 4-6 years engrained with a ton of bad habits that were reinforced just by trying to stay afloat. They have to break them down again and they basically lose an Olympic cycle trying to fix it.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Defense is set no signing needed. Replace 4th line and replace Krebs with a 3C. Backup goalie as well potentially. If our top players even get back to 50% of the difference between this season and last we’re golden. (Something will probably break like UPL next year)

You can’t bring back the same top six forward group and expect better results. There is a culture that is accepting of losing here. You have to change that.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You can’t bring back the same top six forward group and expect better results. There is a culture that is accepting of losing here. You have to change that.
I mean he is suggesting that we replace a third of the forward group, which isn’t the same at all. And half of a different group in goal. Hardly the same there either.

If they actually bring in the right 4 players up front, that could be huge. But that’s extremely difficult to do, I don’t think Adams will be able to do that.

The defense group needs a change too, but if the keep Joki (they probably won’t), it could be adequate with Byram there. Ideally they replace Joki with someone who plays a heavier game, but RHD are never never never available so I’m fine with the rolling with the new Byram-led D-corps.

If they move Joki and replace him with a Clague-type guy, that’s a different story. No bueno.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I mean he is suggesting that we replace a third of the forward group, which isn’t the same at all. And half of a different group in goal. Hardly the same there either.

If they actually bring in the right 4 players up front, that could be huge. But that’s extremely difficult to do, I don’t think Adams will be able to do that.

The defense group needs a change too, but if the keep Joki (they probably won’t), it could be adequate with Byram there. Ideally they replace Joki with someone who plays a heavier game, but RHD are never never never available so I’m fine with the rolling with the new Byram-led D-corps.

If they move Joki and replace him with a Clague-type guy, that’s a different story. No bueno.
I agree with the forwards but if Sammy could work with Power then the D should be fine unless Joker prices himself out of the 3rd pair. If so, Johnson and Cliffy should be ok. We won't really know about the 2nd pair until October though

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If you want the shake the culture and bring in some sort of mentality change, I think it's going to take the combination of a significant player shake up and some sort of coaching change.

Addressing the second point first, that could be replacing Granato (unlikely) or simply changing his assistants, who everyone roundly things are not very good. Many of us having been posting this point since early in the season when the PP was bad.

For the first point, I still think a trade for Brady Tkachuk would be a hard trade to make but easiest to fix the Sabres. He's a warrior who drags his team into the fight, and as a player, does most of the things the Sabres do not want to do.

I'd move Peterka, Kulich, Jokiharju and the 2024 1st, unprotected. If they asked for Levi, since their goaltending sucks, I'd strongly consider switching out the 2024 1st with Levi.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I understand the Tkachuk love but the idea of fixing our losing culture by acquiring the captain of a team who loses more than us every year is not very convincing.

Reactions: enthusiast

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I love the addition of Greenway and think he is a big piece for this team to succeed but Granato constantly putting him in the top 6 is getting out of hand..

When players in the top six don’t defend well or need someone to retrieve pucks…

I am less impressed that they immediately put Peterka-Cozens-Quinn together.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
View attachment 841326

Does Vegas have anyone in the pipeline at all that will be on a rookie deal and contribute over the next 2-3 years? Serious question, but at the same time, who cares right? You're winning and always making deep playoff runs to the cup.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I love the addition of Greenway and think he is a big piece for this team to succeed but Granato constantly putting him in the top 6 is getting out of hand..

So does this mean that Clague will be in for Clifton? Did Clifton have a bad game last outing?

This seems weird to me.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Does Vegas have anyone in the pipeline at all that will be on a rookie deal and contribute over the next 2-3 years? Serious question, but at the same time, who cares right? You're winning and always making deep playoff runs to the cup.
Didn't they miss the year before last? Like they are good, don't get me wrong. They are just extremely volatile. It's very possible that they bookend their cup last year with missing the playoffs on both sides. Saying they always make deep playoff runs is a stretch.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
n out for something better to get Cirelli

What other teams are offering a top 10 pick + a solid center prospect + a depth d-man for Cirelli? I think thats a pretty steep price.

If we're buying out Skinner, I'm using that money to improv

I'm not sure where we're upgrading the defense with the top 5 essentially locked in. (Dahlin/Power/Bryam/Sammy/Clifton)

I get the wanting to get a better player than Bertuzzi there though.

Attachments

• 1711477658160.png
    1711477658160.png
    398.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
The 1st and Ostlund is fair and have no problem with it. I just feel Bryson isn't intriguing enough for TB to pull the trigger on that deal.
he's not even important in this deal. You could drop him entirely and we could also not retain him and it wouldn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad