U18: Roster Team Canada

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Here is what I am hoping the lines look like tomorrow for Finland (with a sprinkling of what I think they could be):

Newhook - Cozens - Tomasino
Holloway - Krebs - Legare
Pelletier - Suzuki - Poulin
Rees - Zary - Washkurak
Tracey

Harley - Korczak
Vukojevic - Drysdale
Spence - Schneider
Hunt

Gauthier
Maier

Reactions: lanky and Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Here is what I am hoping the lines look like tomorrow for Finland (with a sprinkling of what I think they could be):

Newhook - Cozens - Tomasino
Holloway - Krebs - Legare
Pelletier - Suzuki - Poulin
Rees - Zary - Washkurak
Tracey

Harley - Korczak
Vukojevic - Drysdale
Spence - Schneider
Hunt

Gauthier
Maier
Game time is 1:30 p.m. ET if anyone was wondering. Just going to presume that TSN or SportsNet will pick it up on one of their channels.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
your guess would be as good as mine. but I certainly would. over any of the '02 other than Perreault. I still would rather Byfield. who knows what Hockey Canada is going to do in the next day or so to set the final roster.

How is Byfield not on this team? Insane, he is going to push for 1st OA next year. I havent seen size, skill and skating like that in a long long long time. He didnt score against the 67's but his skillset and talent is absolutely undeniable.

Can someone please explain how he is not playing?

I would assume that McMichael is going to get the 13th spot up front? If so this is a very very good group up front.

He is good but he isnt Byfield. They must be absolutely stacked not having either of them on the team.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
How is Byfield not on this team? Insane, he is going to push for 1st OA next year. I havent seen size, skill and skating like that in a long long long time. He didnt score against the 67's but his skillset and talent is absolutely undeniable.

yeah, I don't understand it as well. It's not like Hockey Canada is averse to using underagers at this tournament. I'm going with the assumption that he's a little banged up. Have to wait until August and Hlinka tournament to see him in action. There are a few '01 born players currently on the roster that I would drop in favor of Byfield.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
yeah, I don't understand it as well. It's not like Hockey Canada is averse to using underagers at this tournament. I'm going with the assumption that he's a little banged up. Have to wait until August and Hlinka tournament to see him in action. There are a few '01 born players currently on the roster that I would drop in favor of Byfield.

More than a few for me, havent seen the raw skillset like his since Lindros. If he isnt banged up or injured Hockey Canada is absolutely brain dead on this one.

AuVetShkine

Aug 2, 2018
At this point you can't have Dach and Perreault in the same line up. Dach being the 4th forward in th second round would mean the 4 2002s are out.

Is there any news on whether Quinton Byfield has been added?

Same response. No room for a 2002, assuming Dach is in after having played the 6th game of the series.

Why? They don’t have to cut the 4 2002 born players if they think they’re better, there’s nothing that says they have to take an 01 born player over them.

Yes..you can. I dont see what logical reason there would be to not keep Perrault and Dach in the same lineup provided that Perrault performs well in camp. There's 4 more days until puck drop and theres enough room and time to possibly put Byfield in. I can see some 01s getting cut in favor of some of the 02s.

I have followed the U18 just for just a few years but I do not remember someone getting sent home while underagers were still in the lineup. People who have followed it for longer than I did might be able to prove me wrong.

So I was told I was wrong when saying that a 2002 cannot push a 2001 out of the lineup. But 5 2001s came in the second round and 5 2002s went out. So it is either a coincidence and it happens that all 2001s were better than all 2002s, or either I was right and there was no way Byfield could get an invite if there were enough 2001s invited.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He is good but he isnt Byfield. They must be absolutely stacked not having either of them on the team.
They don't take many/any underaged guys who aren't eliminated in the 1st round.

Drysdale would not be there either if he were in the 2nd round of playoffs.

Reactions: bert

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
They don't take many/any underaged guys who aren't eliminated in the 1st round.

Drysdale would not be there either if he were in the 2nd round of playoffs.

makes sense. Hockey Canada loves making up stupid internal rules that handicap teams heading into tournaments. Heaven forbid we put the best possible team on the ice that might contend for a gold medal. Let's send over 3-4 '01 born players that are projected 4th and 5th. rd picks and not the potential 1OA pick because he's an '02 and played an extra few playoff games.

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I have followed the U18 just for just a few years but I do not remember someone getting sent home while underagers were still in the lineup. People who have followed it for longer than I did might be able to prove me wrong.

So I was told I was wrong when saying that a 2002 cannot push a 2001 out of the lineup. But 5 2001s came in the second round and 5 2002s went out. So it is either a coincidence and it happens that all 2001s were better than all 2002s, or either I was right and there was no way Byfield could get an invite if there were enough 2001s invited.

You’re wrong. It’s also not a coincidence, HC will choose to lean towards the 01 born players because it is their draft year and the 02’s will have another opportunity next season. I never said that they wouldn’t take the 01 born players over the 02’s, just that it was possible and there was no rule against keeping an 02 born player over an 01, if HC wanted too.

It has nothing to do with not being allowed to do it, it has to do with how Hockey Canada wanting to give 01’s an opportunity to play for Canada, when the 02’s will have another crack at it.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
You’re wrong. It’s also not a coincidence, HC will choose to lean towards the 01 born players because it is their draft year and the 02’s will have another opportunity next season. I never said that they wouldn’t take the 01 born players over the 02’s, just that it was possible and there was no rule against keeping an 02 born player over an 01, if HC wanted too.

It has nothing to do with not being allowed to do it, it has to do with how Hockey Canada wanting to give 01’s an opportunity to play for Canada, when the 02’s will have another crack at it.

I'm sure that enters the thought process of the deep deep thinkers at Hockey Canada...and would make some sense if Hockey Canada could guarantee all those '02 that they would indeed have another crack at it next year. but due to CHL playoffs it's impossible to predict. I highly doubt that Byflield will be available for this tournament in his draft year. It's Hockey Canada's job to win tournaments not ensure the greatest possible exposure for draft eligible players.

Last edited:

AuVetShkine

Aug 2, 2018

True I wasn't clear but I never meant that there was an official rule about it that prevents HC from doing it. I meant that it was HC's philosophy. Basically an internal unwritten rule. That's why I wondered if past tournaments tended to confirm the existence of such a philosophy.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
True I wasn't clear but I never meant that there was an official rule about it that prevents HC from doing it. I meant that it was HC's philosophy. Basically an internal unwritten rule. That's why I wondered if past tournaments tended to confirm the existence of such a philosophy.

Ahhh okay, simply confusion. I get ya now. At the end of the day, I don’t really care if Hockey Canada sends their “best” squad to this event, as their true best squad will never likely be ever available. I like giving the opportunity to kids to improve their draft stock and probably wear the maple leaf for the only/last time in their career.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Cozens isn't doing much. He was much much more noticeable at the Hlinka.

I'd like to see Newhook get moved to C between Rees and Tracey. Can move Zary on LW with Cozens. Newhook would add offence to those two wingers who are already going.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Cozens isn't doing much. He was much much more noticeable at the Hlinka.

I'd like to see Newhook get moved to C between Rees and Tracey. Can move Zary on LW with Cozens. Newhook would add offence to those two wingers who are already going.
I'd go a bit differently.

Holloway - Krebs - Tomasino
Pelletier - Cozens - Poulin
Rees - Newhook - Tracey
Zary - Suzuki/Washkurak - Legare

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Cozens was tremendous in the couple of pre-tournament games, picking up three assists on a hat tick by Newhook in one game, and a couple of goals in a victory over Russia in another. I don't think you should write him off after the first couple of tournament games.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
This Canadian team needs to get more attention. They came back from 0-3 down against Finland to win 5-3, and poured it on Switzerland in a period. Most of the time we don't have much to cheer about for this tournament, but this team could really be something. These kids are good, Vukojovic, Korczak, and Schneider are doing a good job defensively. They made strong plays against Lundell, a potential top 5 pick in 2020. The top 9 is filled with speedy, gritty, players who play like a team. Goaltending is solid.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This Canadian team needs to get more attention. They came back from 0-3 down against Finland to win 5-3, and poured it on Switzerland in a period. Most of the time we don't have much to cheer about for this tournament, but this team could really be something. These kids are good, Vukojovic, Korczak, and Schneider are doing a good job defensively. They made strong plays against Lundell, a potential top 5 pick in 2020. The top 9 is filled with speedy, gritty, players who play like a team. Goaltending is solid.
After a bit of lull Canada has some serious talent coming through the pipelines again. Next few drafts will be good ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad