U18: Roster Team Canada

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
seen enough of this tournament (combined with last summer's Hlinka) to start putting together a roster for the Edmonton/Red Deer 2021 WJHC. Alberta is in for a treat and an epic Canada v USA GMG.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
That'll be the lockout season. It could be a great game.

well wouldn't that be special. That would probably make the Canadians favorites, but would be a couple of epic heavyweight tilts for the ages. I'm assuming there will be a NYE game and a gold medal clash.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
This team sort of reminds me of the 2015 world championship team. They're good and they know they're good so they sometimes fall asleep and keep the the game more interesting than it needs to be for a while and then they pull away. If they want to beat the American super team they can't fall asleep and they will need to play a virtually perfect game. Hopefully they have it in them. Crazy to think we're missing Lafreniere, Dach, Byram.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
This team sort of reminds me of the 2015 world championship team. They're good and they know they're good so they sometimes fall asleep and keep the the game more interesting than it needs to be for a while and then they pull away. If they want to beat the American super team they can't fall asleep and they will need to play a virtually perfect game. Hopefully they have it in them. Crazy to think we're missing Lafreniere, Dach, Byram.

nice comparison, but I don't recall the 2015 WHC team (The Prague Powerhouse) being challenged too much, except for a couple of periods against Sweden and the Czechs gave us a game, other than that it was pretty much a hot knife through butter with the butter nuked in the microwave for a dozen seconds.
Upon further thought, I guess other than a period against Finland and the Czechs here, this team hasn't been challenged too much either. So, you may be on to something.

Hopefully they can keep it going and get a shot at the USNTDP.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Really sloppy game today. Thank god its Latvia were playing because if it was Sweden or Russia today wed be headed home.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
How the f*** can this useless piece of shit coach not f***ing wake up ANYONE. How the f*** has he not told everyone to f***ING shoot the puck. How the f*** is every single player on this team f***ing incapable of taking a pass. How the f*** are we being outplayed by Latvia. f***ing disgrace of a team, just go home, win or lose.

UNBELIEVABLE. The WORST game I have EVER seen ANY Team Canada play.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The only f***ing goals these tools have been able to score is off a 2 on 2 that deflected off a defender to go five hole, and an own goal.

AGAINST LATVIA.

Edit: Imagine giving up 40 shots to Latvia.

Edit 2: HOW IS GAUTHIER NOT THE PLAYER OF THE GAME :eek:

Last edited:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
This was not a good game. Latvia should not look competitive against Canada and Gauthier shouldn't have had to have been excellent for the win. When you watch what the USA is doing you have to be a little envious of their ability to put top end prospects together for these events. The top 15 in the NHL draft this year will be a who's who of USA hockey. Hughes, Caufield, Boldy, Zegras, Brink, Turcotte, York.

We have some good talents, but seems like the fact that the USNTDP is together all year they get better and better.

Reactions: hockeyanalyst99

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
This was not a good game. Latvia should not look competitive against Canada and Gauthier shouldn't have had to have been excellent for the win. When you watch what the USA is doing you have to be a little envious of their ability to put top end prospects together for these events. The top 15 in the NHL draft this year will be a who's who of USA hockey. Hughes, Caufield, Boldy, Zegras, Brink, Turcotte, York.

We have some good talents, but seems like the fact that the USNTDP is together all year they get better and better.

Oh boy!! I agree with you, how do we improve at the same rate as the American? USA is full innovation. They can play the skilled and fast European game and the aggressive checking NA game. I am also envious of USA hockey. The decrease in the percentage of Canadian NHL draftees, especially in the 1st round, will show in the NHL scoring leader in 6-8 years when these players reach their career prime age (24-29). I am saddened that the American players are improving so much quicker than Canadians.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Don't forget it's not fair for TC to do a comparison between team usa who had play 40 games together and a team with 20 guys 3 week ago and make a team for a world championnish.
Hockey is a TEAM SPORT.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

I’m also envious of the US’ general approach to player development, but we are missing Byram/Dach/Lafreniere. Three horses who would give us much better odds against a team that trains together for most of the year.

Prospect crops also ebb and flow. While this looks like a record group from the NTDP, next year’s not looking quite as strong. We might see Lafreniere/Byfield/Drysdale/Barron all go before the first American. And I’m sure that cycle could/will reverse again in 2021/22/23...

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
next year we'll have Exceptional Player Shane Wright on the team. Let's see how he stacks up against the last ES player who played at this tournament as a double underager in 2013. I don't think he'll have quite the same impact as McDavid did, but he'll be 1 of the tournaments better players. Top 3.
Hopefully Byfield is on the team to help him out. but the CHL playoffs will probably screw that up.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
next year we'll have Exceptional Player Shane Wright on the team. Let's see how he stacks up against the last ES player who played at this tournament as a double underager in 2013. I don't think he'll have quite the same impact as McDavid did, but he'll be 1 of the tournaments better players. Top 3.
Hopefully Byfield is on the team to help him out. but the CHL playoffs will probably screw that up.
have you seen this kid play? Is he really that good?

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I’m also envious of the US’ general approach to player development, but we are missing Byram/Dach/Lafreniere. Three horses who would give us much better odds against a team that trains together for most of the year.

Prospect crops also ebb and flow. While this looks like a record group from the NTDP, next year’s not looking quite as strong. We might see Lafreniere/Byfield/Drysdale/Barron all go before the first American. And I’m sure that cycle could/will reverse again in 2021/22/23...

The pumping that goes on on tsn especially Craig button about the us development team boggles my mind. Of course they are a good team. They play together year round

This is a team sport

I'm not saying that there are no good us players but it no need to pump them up this much

It's a testament on how we can throw a team together is 2 weeks and most years compete

Anyways lafreniere would have gone first overall this year. >>> Hughes

Reactions: SpoolCat

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
have you seen this kid play? Is he really that good?

I haven't seen him live. a little bit busier these days to get away to the rink to see 14-15 year old prospects like I did back in the day to see McDavid. and that was just a fluke on a layover through T.O. had some time to kill.

but I do know people who have seen him and they say he's the real deal. Not quite McDavid exceptional, but exceptional nonetheless. I'm looking forward to his rookie OHL season. I get to Ottawa quite a bit for work, so it won't be too difficult to get over to Kingston for a night.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I haven't seen him live. a little bit busier these days to get away to the rink to see 14-15 year old prospects like I did back in the day to see McDavid. and that was just a fluke on a layover through T.O. had some time to kill.

but I do know people who have seen him and they say he's the real deal. Not quite McDavid exceptional, but exceptional nonetheless. I'm looking forward to his rookie OHL season. I get to Ottawa quite a bit for work, so it won't be too difficult to get over to Kingston for a night.
Be sure to let us know the scouting report when you do:thumbu:

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
The pumping that goes on on tsn especially Craig button about the us development team boggles my mind. Of course they are a good team. They play together year round

This is a team sport

I'm not saying that there are no good us players but it no need to pump them up this much

It's a testament on how we can throw a team together is 2 weeks and most years compete

Anyways lafreniere would have gone first overall this year. >>> Hughes

Very tough for Canada to compete these days
We don’t have the national ability like all other countries to develop class A teams
Hockey is very much international well developed tried and true
Keeping it close is still good but never good enough for the masses
And if you think playing the highest caliber of team is an immediate leg up on all others , just ask players like Makar or Newhook
Keep grinding Canada
International string of success will only come thru changes in the hockey pyramid development system

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Whats all this talk ,,,
We should have been playing for Gold vs the USA... Would have had our lunch handed to us but .., we definitely were plenty good enough of a team to get there.
This is an exceptional year for the USNTDP . They have a program that is built for success internationally.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Whats all this talk ,,,
We should have been playing for Gold vs the USA... Would have had our lunch handed to us but .., we definitely were plenty good enough of a team to get there.
This is an exceptional year for the USNTDP . They have a program that is built for success internationally.

Were we now!
We should have, we could have,
Not saying we can’t be in the game
Let’s bring in a new inexperienced international coach again next year, let’s see how he can take players coached all year by the other 20 CHL coaches and make them compete in two weeks with national youth teams.
Dream on bud, time is not on our side.
The other guys have figured it out

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Were we now!
We should have, we could have,
Not saying we can’t be in the game
Let’s bring in a new inexperienced international coach again next year, let’s see how he can take players coached all year by the other 20 CHL coaches and make them compete in two weeks with national youth teams.
Dream on bud, time is not on our side.
The other guys have figured it out

Wait now,,, Are you crying? ,Are those tears? Not your bud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad