WC: Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Sleeptalker*

And by the way - Finland has guns for hire!

For the rest of the tournament.

Natural born Finland-killers like: Salminen, Koskiranta and Korpikoski hasn't shown half of their goalscoring skill level yet. In the badlands that is the World Championship, that is.
Other Finland chaps has done the damage for Finland this far.
So they've ... taken a rest.
But beware when they wake up, rising power - and they will put the house on fire, so will it be Hartwall Arena or Globen!

The rest of the icehockey world have not probably even heard their names yet - but they will soon sure do! - as always. Finland rules in their mysterious ways.

Actually in Sweden they don't even know who the Finland Champions (Ässät) are (!), and even if they do ... they can't even spell the name correct!
Next door hockey neighbours - well, well sweet ... Jesus ... and they don't even have a clue!
Sweden has a serious stiff upper lip. You know.
And Sweden call them self a big hockeynation - in Finland EVERY hockey fan know the team who won the Sweden Championship, if he wants to call himself a hockeyfan, that is. Not so in Sweden. They know nothin' - exept everything about Zlatan.
Not even a note in the Sweden press about the party that was goin' on in Pori/Björneborg town for days when Ässät (The Ace of Spades!) won their first title in decades!
Sweden knows nothin' - but they think they do!

The most of 'em I mean - a.k.a the choosen ones who are in the know - and you know who are!
The rest of you can ... excuse me while I kiss the sky ... **** off!

Finland vs. Sweden ... hm, always seems to mean trouble, but then again you have
England vs Scotland and Canada vs USA who shoot from the hip!
No more worse or no more less!

Last edited by a moderator:

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
And by the way - Finland has guns for hire!

For the rest of the tournament.

Natural born Finland-killers like: Salminen, Koskiranta and Korpikoski hasn't shown half of their goalscoring skill level yet. In the badlands that is the World Championship, that is.
Other Finland chaps has done the damage for Finland this far.
So they've ... taken a rest.
But beware when they wake up, rising power - and they will put the house on fire, so will it be Hartwall Arena or Globen!

The rest of the icehockey world have not probably even heard their names yet - but they will soon sure do! - as always. Finland rules in their mysterious ways.

Actually in Sweden they don't even know who the Finland Champions (Ässät) are (!), and even if they do ... they can't even spell the name correct!
Next door hockey neighbours - well, well sweet ... Jesus ... and they don't even have a clue!
Sweden has a serious stiff upper lip. You know.
And Sweden call them self a big hockeynation - in Finland EVERY hockey fan know the team who won the Sweden Championship, if he wants to call himself a hockeyfan, that is. Not so in Sweden. They know nothin' - exept everything about Zlatan.
Not even a note in the Sweden press about the party that was goin' on in Pori/Björneborg town for days when Ässät (The Ace of Spades!) won their first title in decades!
Sweden knows nothin' - but they think they do!

The most of 'em I mean - a.k.a the choosen ones who are in the know - and you know who are!
The rest of you can ... excuse me while I kiss the sky ... **** off!

Finland vs. Sweden ... hm, always seems to mean trouble, but then again you have
England vs Scotland and Canada vs USA who shoot from the hip!
No more worse or no more less!

Well it is the same with Norway vs Sweden as Finland vs Sweden and it is not a hockey thing. Both Norway and Finland has good knowledge about Sweden in general and Sweden is like lolwut in that regard.

It is kind of sad actually, I am a strong proponent of the Nordic countries as an entity but Sweden does not help much bringing it together.

Last edited by a moderator:

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Well it is the same with Norway vs Sweden as Finland vs Sweden and it is not a hockey thing. Both Norway and Finland has good knowledge about Sweden in general and Sweden is like lolwut in that regard.

It is kind of sad actually, I am a strong proponent of the Nordic countries as an entity but Sweden does not help much bringing it together.

I have really poor knowledge of elitserien and i don't know who is the champion right now. I heard somewhere that it's been 30 years since they last won. So i think what the finnish poster said isn't quite accurate.

Elitserien generally just doesn't interest me that much and don't know why it should.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Looking like the QF opponent this time will be Slovakia unless they perform an epic meltdown. Slovakia's winnable (but Russia would've been too), but the semifinal opponent will probably be either Sweden or Canada, most likely Canada. Based on what I saw from Finland in the USA game, they're not good against North Americans. Which is something you could say is common for all teams from Jalonen's era. If Stamkos, Giroux and Co. are serious (and why wouldn't they be serious in the SF), I can't give Finland very good odds.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
In Finland we can watch Allsvenskan football and hockey in our TV:s + Elitserien.

And Swedish SVTworld its also is puplic in Finland we can follow Swedish news and sportnews that way.

But Finnish SM-Liiga and Veikkausliiga games are not showed outside of Finland thats one reason why Swedes dont know about our leugues so much as Finns know at Swedish leagues.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Finnish people are usually prettymuch sports-people. I remember when they show even Swiss hockey league on free TV channel and it got relatively popular. Im like that too. I dont care if its Curling or what ever, I usually enjoy free sports on TV.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Can we keep MiG on the 2nd line on ES too? If he's there just on PP, it doesn't really seem to work.

Nice games from Korpedo and Granlund tonight, otherwise **** everyone.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Can we keep MiG on the 2nd line on ES too? If he's there just on PP, it doesn't really seem to work.

Nice games from Korpedo and Granlund tonight, otherwise **** everyone.

This. Granlund looked a lot better than Koskiranta. Granlund and Korpikoski seemed to have some chemistry.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This. Granlund looked a lot better than Koskiranta. Granlund and Korpikoski seemed to have some chemistry.
Jalonen did give them some ES shifts in the third already tonight. So I'm guessing he's planning a promotion.

Also, I wonder if it was a coincidence that besides Korpikoski, Salminen seemed to have his best game as well...

We've got a beautiful thing brewing, methinks.

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
In Finland we can watch Allsvenskan football and hockey in our TV:s + Elitserien.

And Swedish SVTworld its also is puplic in Finland we can follow Swedish news and sportnews that way.

But Finnish SM-Liiga and Veikkausliiga games are not showed outside of Finland thats one reason why Swedes dont know about our leugues so much as Finns know at Swedish leagues.

Like someone in Sweden would watch that ****.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Actually it's not a free channel but YLE Fem airs some of their stuff.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Like someone in Sweden would watch that ****.

Considering that Veikkausliiga players pretty much do the same in Allsvenskan as in VL it could be interesting for some diehard footy fans.

There isn't much logic in the football world; in Sweden they rather watch a mediocre football league than one of the best hockey leagues in the world. It is hilarious.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Depends where you live, when I studied in Vaasa we had Swedish tv 1,2 and 4 for free..

No suprise, I visited the city once and you couldn't really get service in finnish at least outside the city on the gas stations.. And in some pizzeria in centrum had to order in english. Felt like if we were in Sweden.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
No suprise, I visited the city one's and you couldn't really get service in finnish at least outside the city on the gas stations.. And in some pizzeria in centrum had to order in english. Felt like if we were in Sweden.

Whenever I've been in Vaasa (outside in the small villages is another thing..) I've found that pretty much anyone speaks both excellent finnish and swedish.

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
No suprise, I visited the city once and you couldn't really get service in finnish at least outside the city on the gas stations.. And in some pizzeria in centrum had to order in english. Felt like if we were in Sweden.

Hard to think that somebody in Vaasa proper wouldn't know basic Finnish. But yeah, the countryside in pretty much unilingually Swedish. Or some weird variant of it that nobody understands. Doesn't make them Swedish though. That's something that people should finally start to understand IMHO.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hard to think that somebody in Vaasa proper wouldn't know basic Finnish. But yeah, the countryside in pretty much unilingually Swedish. Or some weird variant of it that nobody understands. Doesn't make them Swedish though. That's something that people should finally start to understand IMHO.

Yeah, even those weird creatures that speak närpesian are finnish.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium

It doesn't happen. I don't know anyone from my
home town who wouldn't speak Finnish at all.
I'm sure there might be some people like that,
but they are never working with customer service
jobs. So it's an urban legend Sport-haters (our
hockey team) like to spread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad