WC: Roster Talk '13 — Finland

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
This is the final roster for Team Finland.
I think that this is the worst roster in a loooooong time for Finland. Usually our EHT teams are even better.. :shakehead

Goalies:

Atte Engren, TPS
Joni Ortio, HIFK
Antti Raanta, Ässät

Defenseman:

Juuso Hietanen, Torpedo Nizhni Novgorod (KHL)
Janne Jalasvaara, Dynamo Moskova (KHL)
Lasse Kukkonen, Rögle BK (Ruotsi)
Teemu Laakso, Severstal Tsherepovets (KHL)
Sami Lepistö, HC Lev Praha (KHL)
Ilari Melart, HIFK
Tuukka Mäntylä, Tappara
Ossi Väänänen, Jokerit

Forwards:

Juhamatti Aaltonen, Rögle BK (Ruotsi)
Marko Anttila, TPS
Juha-Pekka Haataja, Kärpät
Niklas Hagman, Lokomotiv Jaroslav (KHL)
Juha-Pekka Hytönen, Amur Habarovsk (KHL)
Pekka Jormakka, Pelicans
Petri Kontiola, Traktor Tsheljabinsk (KHL)
Jarno Koskiranta, Tappara
Miika Lahti, JYP
Janne Pesonen, Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)
Antti Pihlström, Salavat Julajev Ufa (KHL)
Sakari Salminen, KalPa
Veli-Matti Savinainen, Ässät
Ville Viitaluoma, HPK
Lauri Korpikoski, Phoenix Coyotes (NHL)

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
My feelings about this springs championships..

Grillimaisteri_lasissa.jpg

3485.jpg

552004_394008583954124_832838651_n.jpg

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Think of all the talent born between years 1985-90 that was lost because of idiotic executive meddling. Players born in those years are the ones who should be the backbone of this team. Things are looking up again, so there's no need to slit any wrists - but right now, we pay the price for that cause.

Ironically, the only solid NHLer we managed to get from those lost crops IS willing to join.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
Our top2 OD Mikko Mäenpää lost his spot for Lepistö... Kurri must have something to do whit this:rant:

Last edited:

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I'm happy if Finland stays in the A series :cry:

People talk about Canada's depth - well, what about Finland's depth: we have an infinite supply of tireless, disciplined, hardworking 3rd line grinders... So, even if this is our 3rd or 4th team this year, it isn't actually radically different from previous years. I would bet that it will be a motivated, disciplined, hard skating and hitting team with excellent goalies. And in a best of one tournament that's actually pretty good. Obviously we are not a very serious gold medal contender but I would not be surprised at all of getting to the semi-finals.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Why don't bring in young guys like Ristolainen or Armia when our team is as pathetic as it is?

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Making it to the quarterfinals would be nice with 14 first-timers. Obviously hoping for the best, but expectations are not high.

Why don't bring in young guys like Ristolainen or Armia when our team is as pathetic as it is?
And drop a guy like Melart, Lahti or Jormakka?!?

That would make absolutely no sense at all. Think of all the precious effort we would be dropping from the team.
Born -88, -87 and -90, respectively. They're still quite young, actually.

If you wish to rage against useless picks, at least direct them towards the correct players. Haataja (-82), Mäntylä (-81), and Viitaluoma (-81) are the ones who we'll probably see never again.

Besides, they're guys slated for upper echelon roles. Every team needs its grinders, and at least those are somewhat youthful. We would possibly be raging even more than we do now if Jalonen actually took all our young guns in and then assigned them fourth line minutes because he was forced to leave out some of the bottom-six workhorses as a consequence.

Seriously though, this almost feels as if Jalonen was taking part in the SM-liiga's "lost causes" party some years back, got completely sloshed and made an announcement: "I love you... all... you guysh! I shwear... you get it, I shwear... that one day, you will all make it to the Worldsh!"

And this is him keeping good on that promise as it's his last chance.
Yeah, those names were not the best examples of guys who should be dropped first and they aren't old, but I doubt they will have a future in the National Team in the big stages.

Doesn't matter though... team still looks like it will lack leadership and depth so these marginal moves most likely wouldn't change the outcome one bit.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
And drop a guy like Melart, Lahti or Jormakka?!?
Born -88, -87 and -90, respectively. They're still quite young, actually.

If you wish to rage against useless picks, at least direct them towards the correct players. Haataja (-82), Mäntylä (-81), and Viitaluoma (-81) are the ones who we'll probably see never again.

Besides, they're guys slated for upper echelon roles. Every team needs its grinders, and at least those are somewhat youthful. We would possibly be raging even more than we do now if Jalonen actually took all our young guns in and then assigned them fourth line minutes because he was forced to leave out some of the bottom-six workhorses as a consequence.

Seriously though, this almost feels as if Jalonen was taking part in the SM-liiga's "lost causes" party some years back, got completely sloshed and made an announcement: "I love you... all... you guysh! I shwear... you get it, I shwear... that one day, you will all make it to the Worldsh!"

And this is him keeping good on that promise as it's his last chance.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'd swap Haataja for Armia right away. Haataja's relatively old and not good enough for a big role in this tournament, so this seems more like a prize for him for whatever than something he earned with his performances. Armia and his newfound overall game could've taken on the same role Haataja's most likely getting and gotten valuable experience at the same time. I want to think Barkov would've made this team, but a part if me says he would've been among the last to get cut just to fit one more mediocre SM-liiga veteran in.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Goaltending is ok IMO, but in other departments this roster looks quite sad. :(

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
I hope guys like Rinne and Lehtonen are overlooked when choosing our Olympic goalies. Its the only spot we can be a bit choosy. It was terrible karma to play Kippersoft in 2010 and it showed.

Rask, Niemi and Raanta for 2014 olympic goalies (if the NHL plays)

Atleast most of the MA Bergeron-lite types were dropped: Lajunen, Mäenpää and Kousa are a disgrace for Finnish hockey. Anti-hockey players

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I think there were valid reasons to both leave Nummelin out and to take him along. This time the cons won out.

Pros:

- he's still good on PP
- he would've brought leadership

Cons:

- he's been a healthy scratch most of the season
- he's a defensive liability
- he's old

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Cons:

- he's been a healthy scratch most of the season
- he's a defensive liability
- he's old
- he's extremely injury prone (last time he played a perfectly healthy WHC was in 2006)

IMO he still could have made a good addition to show his value on camp, but it was by far not a royal shafting to just leave him out altogether.

Nixa

Apr 29, 2013
It's just horrible looking team on the paper...very indeed. First time in years this doesn't get me excited about World Championships at all. And when you look at the list of no goes..

Declined/Injured

G - Pekka Rinne Nashville (Nashville didn't want him to go, little injuries and was also tired)
G- Kari Lehtonen Dallas ( no reason why, but he had groin injury at the end of the regular season)
G- Miikka Kiprusoff Calgary (Last time in World Champs was in 2001...always says no)
G- Petri Vehanen Lukko (personal reasons)
G- Karri Rämö Avangard Omsk (personal reasons)

D- Sami Salo Vancouver ( personal/family reasons)
D- Kimmo Timonen Philadelphia ( Injured, broken foot) was a no go even without it
D- Joni Pitkänen Carolina (Injured)
D- Janne Niskala Minsk (Injured)

F- Tuomo Ruutu Carolina (Injured, needs another hip surgery)
F- Ville Leino Buffalo (Injured, played only 8 games this season. Hip Surgery)
F- Olli Jokinen Winnipeg ( ended his national team career at Vancouver Olympics)
F- Lennart Petrell Edmonton (Injured..ankle problems)
F- Niko Kapanen Kazan (personal reasons)
F- Jarkko Immonen Kazan (personal reasons)
F- Jori Lehterä Sibir ( Injured)

Wasn't asked

D- Petteri Nummelin Lugano
F- Antti Miettinen Winnipeg

God, what a list. Did i miss somebody important?

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Too bad...

I would have wanted to see Teräväinen get invited.... but guess Jalonen never wants to try anything new.

Expectation: Loss in quarterfinals

Hariken

Apr 7, 2013
Had the privilege of watching Aaltonen in the SEL this season and my god what talent and skill he has. A true hockey artist. His shootouts were amazing as well. Pretty much the only reason I will watch some of the FIN's games:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad